Forums/

General Running

Bruised Toe

posted almost 3 years ago | Report

This is the second time this has happened to me after running more than 10 miles. The second toe on my right foot is really bruised on the very tip. I've heard of people getting bruised toenails and having the nailbed fall off, but I haven't heard of getting a bruise on the tip of your toe. Any ideas what's up with this? I have good shoes with a thin athletic sock. I don't feel my foot slide forward at all when I run. It only seems to happen at long distances.

• from my experience...

The cause is due to your toes interacting with the front of your shoe (in effect, your toe is impacting with the toe of the shoe. For short runs this isn't much of a problem but as you add distance and more impacts... it starts to add up.

Your answer to what's causing it falls into a few options:
    1. Shoes are the wrong size - typically you want your running shoes to be from a half to a full size larger than your street shoes, in some cases you may have to go even larger if the brand's shoe last is a little shorter than the average. (This is what finally cured this problem for me, getting shoes 1 full size larger made a world of difference.)

2. Lacing up your shoes a bit too lose over all or without sufficient tightness in the lower sets of lace holes. You want your shoe tight enough to keep your shoe properly placed on your foot without causing discomfort or cutting off circulation. This limits the amount of back and forth movement of the shoe on foot strikes and limits the resultant impacts to the toes.

3. Since you mention that its the tip of the toe... this could also be related to toe position while running. If your toes have a natural bit of curl to them... this could position them in a "tip downward" orientation... and since this sounds like the toe right next to the big toe... it could be your longest toe and, as such, may be extending a little bit before the foot landing and there by taking a bit more impact stress. (this one isn't likely... but its possible).

To the "I don't feel my foot slide" note... With the two times I went through a similar experience with the same toe (in my case losing the nail as well)... It never felt like my toes was impacting the front of the shoe. I would swear that my feet weren't sliding around. Alas, my perception and reality weren't in alignment. And, like you... it only happened when I pushed myself to longer distances (past 10K).

posted almost 3 years ago

• in reply to what Bo A. said:from my experience... The cause is due to your toes interacting with the front of your shoe (in effect, your toe is impacting with the toe of the shoe. For short runs this isn't much of a problem but as you add distance and more impacts... ... read more

Thank you for the detailed response! It was really helpful. I'm going back to the running store to check my shoes!

posted almost 3 years ago