Answers/

General Running

Cat
Cat Sendmail

What does a normal week of running look like for you?

asked over 2 years ago | Report

Hi, all! I'm new here. Re-new to running. ;)

So I've been running about 3 days a week (Monday, Wednesday, Saturday), with 3-4 mile runs during the week and a longer run on Saturdays (maybe 5-6 miles at this point). Tuesday and Thursday I go to the gym and use the stair-climber or elliptical. Just wondering how it looks for you guys, I'm looking to add another day in. Need some inspiration!

EDIT: I just realized I can't respond....I'll figure this dailymile out yet. You guys are awesome and intense, I need to up my game! :)

13 answers

scroll to bottom
  • Hi Cat - I'm training for a marathon so I'm running 5 days a week. 1 long run, 1 speed or hill run and 3 easy runs of different distances. That gives me two days left. One is a rest day and the other day I ride my bike.

When I'm not training for a marathon I still do something 6 days a week and I run at least 3 of those days. -Amy :)

answered over 2 years ago |Report

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • Mon - cross train
    Tue - short run
    Wed - medium run
    Thur - short run
    Fri - rest
    Sat - medium run, often at race pace
    Sun - long run

Don't be afraid to add another day. Just be smart about two days in a row, as in run easy the second day if the first day is a little more intense :)

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • well i just started doing XC training
    Monday - Tempo Run, 30 minute minimum. (Gentle Jog - 10 minutes; accelerate to race pace - hold for 10 minutes; decelerate to a jog for 10 minutes)
    Tuesday - Speed Workouts (400's, 200's and 1000's. 400 jog between 400s, 200 jog between 200s, 3 minute walk between 1000s.)
    Wednesday - 30 min. Easy run
    Thursday - Fartleks 30 minutes minimum. (Jog 10 minutes, Sprint 20 seconds, Jog 20 seconds OR sprint from one pole to another, jog to the next pole repeatedly. best if poles are 100 - 400 meters from each other)
    Friday - 30 min. jog
    Saturday - Long run (60 minutes minimum)
    Sunday - Easy Run 30 minutes OR rest day.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I'm intentionally not that strict on what I do. I'm training for a half marathon, so I am making sure I get a long run in on the weekends (8.7 last weekend, planning 10 this weekend). I make sure I do something at least 5 days/week, and do one long and one hard workout. But, what that means each week is different (excepting the long run when training for a longer distance). Hard could be a fast 5k or intervals or a 3 mile trail run. While long workouts are dictated by schedule, the hard ones are based on how I feel.

I think mixing it up keeps it fun and interesting and keeps the body from getting in a routine where you get a performance wall. Using body signals to dictate how hard I work and if I take a second day off keeps me from over-doing it.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I have a 16km uphill trail race this weekend and a half marathon in August... the last few weeks have included:

1 long run - about 18km right now
    1 tempo run of 8-10km
    1 hill sprints workout - 5 or 6x100m + 3km warmup & 3km cooldown
    1 other easy run of 7-12km (distance depends on time available and how I feel)
    2 cross training days (Insanity videos usually)
    1 day off

I'm loving the sprint workouts... they're new for me in the last couple of weeks and I feel like they're really beneficial. They're mixing it up if nothing else...

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I started a runstreak 189 days ago so I run at least 1.5 miles every day. I also cross train by lifting weights, kettlebells and using various cardio machine (stair climbers and elip machine primarily). In that time I have run 2 marathons and a couple 10k races.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • Welcome Cat! I just started week #6 of marathon training, so I run 5 days/week. Similar to Amy, my plan has one long run on Saturday, at least one speed day (Monday and/or Wednesday), recovery run on Sunday, and easy runs of various lengths for the balance. I don't run on days that begin with T - plan calls for rest and I rest on those days.

Prior to marathon training, my half marathon trainnig plan called for running four days/week. I had rest days on Sundays + Ts.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • hmmm....I rather do 1-3 miles a day and run daily for 6 days a week. Everyone has their own style though, that's the craziness about running but I love consistency.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I tend to run every other day, sometimes 2 days in a row. Generally 3 or 4 days a week. I try to total it up to 5 miles of either running or walking, and am working up to running 5 miles per day. I'm going to send you a friend request :D

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • hi Cat. I've been running about 5 years now. really depends on where you want to go with your running. Your "schedule" is a good base to get things going. I typically run 3-4 days a week with one of these days being speedwork and one a long run. Speed work is usually a negative split, fartlek, or track, then, like you, i cross train a couple of days a week.

I've done 5 marathons and lots of other races and have found the cross training (particularly elliptical) has helped me improve my times in the marathon since it's such good cardio and gives my knees a rest. I've had hammie issues since my first marathon so finally going to get serious about core work too.

Good luck with your running!

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I run around 20-25 miles a week.

2x 5-6miles - mid-week before work
    1x 10-15miles - at the weekend
    + Anything else I can fit in.

I don't do any other form of exercise though. I know I would benefit from cross-training but I just don't have the time. Plus this works for me.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I just started a running streak. Day/1 was on my Dad's 83rd Birthday = Wednesday - June 20, 2012. He doesn't get around very good at all anymore. Plus my Mom also has her ups and downs. I have plans to try and make it 1/year without missing a day spiritually with God, and physically with God. (GOD IS MY STRENGTH 2/RUN)..+ ( =

...I have to spend at least 1/hour with God for my spiritual streak to continue. Which is a rule I came up with myself. Favorite site >>> http://www.bible.com
    ...I have to run at least 1/mile for my physical streak to continue. Which is the rules of the USRSA >>> http://www.runeveryday.com

I have plans to go low and slow, and eventually build my long runs back to a 20/miler. If all goes well that will take place on Saturday - December 29, 2012. My 1st "20/miler" since Wednesday - February 4, 2009 on a very cold winter day.

This week with July 4th the beginning of the week.
    Wed/3.2
    Thu/3
    Fri/3
    Sat/8
    Sun/3
    Mon/4
    Tue/4
    This will be the 3rd week of my Goal "Run2Win" (Streaks). the "2" means with God leading the way and giving me strength 2/Run. 1) Spiritually & 2) Physically.
    God Bless..+ Jimmy. ( = PS: If you want to be friends let me know, ok. Can't have enough of those.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • When I'm healthy, I average 45+ miles a week.

thumbs up
      thumbs down

Similar Questions in Running - General Running