Answers/

Competitive Triathlon

Trainer purchase during race season?

asked about 6 years ago | Report

I am thinking about buying a trainer even though it is becoming close to get back on my feet in addition to the weather warming up. My logic is that even though it is warm outside I may have some difficulty getting to an area where I can ride for more than 15 miles. I know two roads but both are about 30 minutes away. Not a big deal when there is nothing going on but most days in the summer I am working both jobs or one job then school. I know I have to ride outdoors at least once or twice a week, but still, it would make life a lot easier if I could go downstairs or on the back deck and be ready to ride in 5 miuntes. Is this sound logic and if so what fluid trainers would you recommend?

2 answers

scroll to bottom
  • I bought a trainer in November 08 and did a lot of research on them. Basically it came down to two choices:

1up Bicycle Trainer - http://www.1upusa.com/bike_trainer.html
    CycleOps Fluid 2 - http://www.cycleops.com/p-118-fluid.aspx

I read a lot of great reviews on the 1up trainer and decided to go with that. There were two things that concerned me with this trainer though. First, their website looked/looks like it's from the early 90's. It's very unprofessional in my opinion. Second, you can only buy the trainer on their website or over the phone directly from them. Now, they have a great FAQ section explaining their reasoning for not allowing other stores to resell their trainer...but the website still freaked me out a bit.

Anyway, to make a long story short - I absolutely love this trainer. It doesn't have any fluid in it, it's semi quiet, and it's simple. I've probably put about 200 miles on mine so far and haven't had a single issue. And, if you do have a problem, their warranty should cover it.

I can't comment on any other trainers because I haven't used them - but I can say, without a doubt, that I am exceptionally satisfied with this 1up trainer.

answered about 6 years ago |Report

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I'm using the Kurt Kinetic Road Machine and have not had any issues with it. Great trainer.

As far as training when the weather is nice on the trainer, I think I'll probably be doing more of that this summer just to get some more rides in. The trainer is a great way to get a quality workout in without worrying about stoplights, cars, or anything else on the road.

answered about 4 years ago |Report

thumbs up
      thumbs down

Similar Questions in Triathlon - Competitive Triathlon