Forums/

Beginner Running

Need motivation / First 10k?

posted over 2 years ago | Report

Considering my first 10k in a few weeks. I've completed a 5k but my training has been on & off. Looking for dailymile buddies to keep me motivated and on track. How do you stick to your plan when life gets in the way?

22 posts

scroll to bottom
  • My short answer ... You just do the best you can. Sometimes I will get up early, sometimes I run late, sometimes during the kiddos Naptime. Wherever I can fit it in. It is really hard, I feel your pain. I sm training for a half marathon in october nd getting the long run in is challenging with a busy schedule. Good luck! I will be cheering you on!

posted over 2 years ago

• i used to beat myself up about it--especially during marathon training--now I just take a deep breath and try and get as much out of each run/workout as I can. You've done the 5K so have the base and your body is used to that so just keep pushing forward. Good luck!

posted over 2 years ago

• Sweet....I'm running my first 10K in September....I'm also a new runner.
    FR sent:)

posted over 2 years ago

• If your training is off and on do the best that you can. Run to the point of fatigue and only a tiny bit more. The main thing is to stay injury free. We all have aches but no one needs an injury from over exertion. Come race day the adrenaline.

posted over 2 years ago

• Hi Tricia ! Good luck with you 10K ! Well, I think you can't do much when life gets in the way :-)) Just don't beat yourself up and get on with what you can. I find it helpfull to make my runs a routine so it becomes part of my day. But when I can't go for a run for one important reason or another, I just let it be that way ... FR sent.

posted over 2 years ago

• Tricia hello FR sent

posted over 2 years ago

• You can definitley do it! Just train as much as you can, don't worry about your finish time at the race and just have fun with it! Good luck - sending you a FR!

posted over 2 years ago

• Best of luck on the 10K! I ran my first 10K this year and followed it up with a half as an encore! NEVER would have thought that was possible. My advice is to write out a training plan and post it where you will see it. I know I am much more consistent if I know in advance what I'm supposed to do. There are several good plans you can get from the internet. Jeff Galloway or Hal Higdon are both good. Also find a time of day that fits into your schedule and stick to it. I run at 5am! Ick! It's the only way I can stay consistent. Find what works for you.

posted over 2 years ago

• Thanks everyone. Some excellent tips! Looking forward to staying out there and getting through 6.2 miles!

posted over 2 years ago

• Come the day of the run you will be prepared mentally, the physical side is the easier side I reckon.

Run your own run for the 1st half or so and then tag onto someone who looks like they are pushing the last 5km as long as they don't drop the bundle in which case you push forward.

Good luck and enjoy it. Don't go out for a time go out to enjoy and finish.

posted over 2 years ago

• Hi, I did my first 10 K in May. Started with running 0.5 mile, 3 times a week and then increased the distance by 1/2 mile every week. I never worried about my time...but it improved as I trained more. Good luck!

posted over 2 years ago

• Life will ALWAYS get in the way - that's when running will help. Slip it in here and there when you can. It amazes me how little you can run when it comes down to it and still be able to train for a 10K - you just have to plan. I'm doing my first on Sept. 1! GO TRICIA GO! FR sent. :D

posted over 2 years ago

• I've been considering a 10K this fall. I've stuck with 5K's off and over the years for the same reason you mentioned. I can seem to sneak in the training for shorter runs, but struggle to fit in the time for the longer ones. Although I think signing up for a 10k this fall would probably improve my training focus and I'd squeeze the time in. Now, I just need to find a good 10k this fall close to home.

posted over 2 years ago

• congratulations on trying a 10K and good luck! I run farther than that, but that being said, I don't always hit optimal mileage or run days for a week. I have been running 3 days a week, and trying to work in a 4th as my mileage is starting to climb again as I go for October's half, and continuing on schedule to full by the end of the year. For a 10k, if you can keep 3 days doing a 6miler (train up to it - small increases, maybe 1/2 mile leading into it) on a long run day and then two runs of 5k you will be minimally prepared. Figure a goal of a weekly mileage of double your long run, which is reasonable and doable. Incidently - I am self employed (up to 70 hours or so a week) plus a 1/2 time student.

posted over 2 years ago

• More awesome replies. It's really helpful to get feedback from others facing the same challenges. I have picked my 10k, so I have about 6 weeks to prepare. Feeling like that's plenty of time & looking forward to the challenge. The funds will be used to keep our zoo free to the community.

posted over 2 years ago

• Hey Tricia,

I know the feeling. I completed a 5 k last September and then started training for a 10 shortly afterwards. I ran the 10 in May of this year. It was great, but there was a lot of training. This site helped me to keep motivated. There are a lot of amazing people on this site who are quite well informed when it comes to running. Good luck!

posted over 2 years ago

• Slow and steady increase of distance and speed and you should be fine! :) And what a great cause for this one to go to! :D Good luck!

posted over 2 years ago

• I tried a training plan, but like you, I found that life got in the way. So instead, I decided I wanted to do 1 long run, 1short run, 1 speed day and 1 hills day as well as 1 cross train day and 2 rest days a week. I also wanted to strength train twice a week. Now I just check them off as I complete them. It takes very little planning ahead of time, I just look and see what I haven't done and what I have time for that day and do it.

I am running a 10k in september and again in october. Then I am doing a 10miler in November! Good luck!

posted over 2 years ago

• I am training for my 1st half and I tapped my training plan on to the frig. i write my time over the days I run. When it's on paper and I have to see it, it forces me to run even when I don't want to

posted over 2 years ago

• I'm training for my first 10k as well in October. I started running in 2011 and ran a few 5k races!!! New to DM feel free to friend request me so we can support eachother thru this!

posted over 2 years ago

• You can do anything you put your mind too, listen to yourself first. Think about others opinion first thing in the morning while the brain is still fresh and at alert, that way you able to differentiate what will work for you........

posted over 2 years ago

• Go for it!! Life will always be in the way run around it..... we can do this someday I will join you in the 10k..... Hang in there@!!!

posted over 2 years ago