Answers/

Beginner Running

when does one really become a runner?

asked over 1 year ago | Report

Is there a certain pace you have to keep, miles you log, or years of experience? I don't know why but I'm kinda intimidated by people who have done races and marathons. Like I won't fit in because I'm a "new runner". Is this normal or am I being silly?

24 answers

scroll to bottom
  • when pay for a race - then you're a runner. good luck and welcome to the sport

answered over 1 year ago |Report

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • When it is part of your life. When you feel that you need to go for a run. That's how I feel anyway. I was slow when I started, but I knew that it was something I was going to love and need; I NEVER called it jogging.
    You are, by no means, being silly :) I still get intimidated by what I call "real runners" (you know, front-packers at a race who run like... 5:30 miles.)
    Good luck and, most importantly, have fun!!!

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • When you put on a pair of shoes, and run....you are a runner. For me I felt like a "real runner" the first time I ran my first 5k without stopping. It was my 6th 5k....and I felt that day like I was truly a part of the sport. And I still am. 3 months later I ran my first half marathon and now I am trying to prepare for my first marathon in January. My sister is completely satisfied with 5k distance, my best friend drew the line at half marathons. I just want to see what i can do. I like the challenge. But I really think that each person has a different point in which they feel they are are "runner". GOOD LUCK OUT THERE AND WELCOME TO THE CLUB!!!!

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • You become a runner the day you put on your running shoes and start running. You may not feel comfortable around other runners for a while, but that doesn't mean you are not a runner. Just have confidence in you, and enjoy the journey!

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I think my big 'I'm a runner!' moment came the first time that I accomplished a milestone distance by myself. In my training for my first half marathon, I trained with a group but I missed a group session and had to run the scheduled 15km alone. When I made it back to my front door with my Garmin reading a perfect '15:00km', I felt SO proud and like such an athlete. Now, I feel like a runner everytime I lace up my shoes and read out the door. I think your 'Ah-ha!' moment varies based on what you're working towards, your level of activity before you start and how you perceive running.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • When being around runners makes you happy, even if they can run faster or farther, then you're a runner. At that point you'll occasionally attend running related events, not necessarily races, just to be around other runners.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • Not silly and very normal I would say!

I've been "Running" for a little over a year now, having put on some running shoes when I decided I wanted to be fit not fat at 50 and wanted to complete the Race For Life at a run and not a walk! I think I've only just recently started to feel like a proper runner although that feeling comes and goes!
    I've done 2x 5k races (both Race For Life events) at a run but probably the moment when I felt like I must look like a proper runner, and therefore BE a proper runner was when other people out running acknowledged me as our running paths crossed BUT I think the honest truth really is - you are a runner as soon as you're out there running. Keep it up Niquole and enjoy! :)

PS I put "running" after reading an earlier post in the thread when Allison said she never called it jogging!

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • A runner is a runner, be they new or experienced! You are a runner the minute you lace up your shoes and hit the street/track/treadmill. You're taking on something that a lot of people are too intimidated. Good on you for taking up the challenge!! :)
    I knew I was "a runner" when the first thing I thought about when I woke up in the morning was lacing my shoes up, and hitting the pavement.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • Honestly I think you are a runner when you have experienced a great run and then on all your future runs you are trying to have as good or a better run. Pace, distance, or time don't matter it'd the feeling you are chasing.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I'd say running as long as you run regularly like 3 times a week (and have nice running outfits).

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • The day you start and keep going

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • 1. the day you look forward to getting up at 5am for your regular run?
    2. when you run your first race?
    3. after your first 100mi month?
    4. When it really bothers you NOT to get your planned run in?
    5. When the days that you run, outnumber the days that you don't run?
    6. when the employees at the local running shop know your name?
    7. when the last 3 pair of shoes that you've bought... were running shoes.
    8. When you run your first 10K
    9. when you run your first half marathon (but call it a 'half mary')
    10.when you run your first marathon
    11.... in under 4 hours?
    12. When you qualify for Boston?

there really is no one metric. It's whatever you want it to be. you get to define yourself. The day you feel like a 'runner', is your day.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • You are a runner when you run for no purpose but for yourself. With or without shoes or sandals.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I second what Ren said

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • From the moment you put your tainers on and go for a run (on a regular basis), you are a runner. Everyone had to start one day and will be happy to help. Anyone who looks down on you because you're new to it or haven't done any race is not worth being part of the running community. I'm a newbie myself and only take part in races if I feel like it, not to prove anythting to anyone. Good luck in your taining. x

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • You might be a runner if:
    1). Over half your tee-shirts have information on them from a race you have run in.
    2). You have a favorite flavor of GU (chocolate!!)
    3). You always carry kleenex on long runs and have no fear of port-a-potties.
    4). You have spent more than 10 dollars for a pair of socks

Hahahaha ... just getting out there makes you a Runner!!! FR sent!

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • More ... You know you're a runner when:

You can recite the dialogue from chariots of fire.
    Your vacations are planned around marathons.
    You lube up to get into your clothes to prevent chafing.
    Your friends don't call you anymore to go out on Saturday nights.
    The majority of t-shirts in your closet have sponsors and race dates on them.
    You consider gels a food group.
    You consider a half marathon a good "training" run.
    You can say fartlek without laughing.
    You buy advil and Epsom salts in bulk.
    You can correctly spell plantar fasciitis.

It's all a state of mind ... I know you're a runner!

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • Have you ever been 30 seconds late for a bus and if you don't get on that bus, it's gonna be a 30 minute wait? Would you run to get on that bus so that you don't miss it?

If yes, you my friend, are a runner.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • Most runners, especially the experienced ones, seem to be extremely helpful and encouraging. Being intimidated is normal but you have to remember that you are doing it for YOU and no one else. Fast, slow, or in the middle, it's all you. You are a runner when you put your shoes on (or not) and go outside and do it! Go girl!

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • The desire makes you a runner, the miles make you stronger and racing makes you unstoppable.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • You don't need shoes to be a runner...you just need to run!

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • You become a runner, as far as I am concerned, the second you start lifting your feet and can keep any type of pace. Once, someone told me you are not a "runner" until you run a mile under 10 minute pace. Bull. I think you are a runner when you tie up your running shoes and head out the door willing to push yourself more than a walk would!!! Welcome to running!!!!

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • Thanks for posting this question! I'm a newbie also, and all of the encouraging replies make me want to hit the trail first thing tomorrow and jog/walk/run to keep building my pace!! Best of luck to you, felllow runner!! :-)

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • "birds fly, fish swim, man runs" (Emil Zatopek, Czech long distance runner)
    Everybody is a runner, but most people didn't discover yet.

thumbs up
      thumbs down

Similar Questions in Running - Beginner Running