Michelle ran: first ultra!! after ...

Track and share your training!

Dailymile makes it easy to keep track of your workouts. Map your routes and share with a community of active people.

  • 32 miles
  • 07:14 time
  • 13:46 pace
  • 4775 calories
  • 0 ft climb
  • 0 max hr
  • 0 avg hr
    • Currently /5 Effort.
    effort /5
good headwaters ultra 50k 31.5 mi 07:14 13:46 pace

first ultra!! after driving up friday we got lots of snacks picked up our bibs, did a shakeout jog/hike then got dinner in town. woke up saturday morning not too early which was nice after a long day. it was a 8am start time. i wasnt that nervous for it since an ultra is a no pressure run. i didnt specifically train for it, besides the extra trail runs and running a bit more hills since moving about 6 weeks ago to a mountain town. didnt do too many back to backs or any long trail runs. i just wanted to finish and see if i could finish.
so for the 8am start, had a little bit of my favorite homemade cookies, some mate, and then an hour before 1-2 scoops vanilla ucan with almond milk, then a little vespa packet half hour before and water.
started off breathing heavy but just taking it easy which was the theme of the day. it was about 50 or so of us. a lot of people looked like serious experienced trail runners, but i didnt psyche myself it.
first few miles were beautiful and runnable which was really nice. the first aid station just refilled my handheld. the ucan held me over i believe about 2 hours. then i put more orange ucan that i had in baggies into my hand held i think for another hour and a 2nd little concentrated vespa packet there. i really liked the vespa and think it helped the first few hours.
the first 4 miles were runnable and then the climbing started. miles 5-10 were climbing and then 15-19 were just relentless.. ill get to that later.
i think in the 2nd aid station i ate some grapes and then took a hammer gel for the road just in case.
i think in total i ate 2 gels and had fruit the last 3 out of 5 aid stations, and had a delicious amazing cup of coca cola the last 2 aid stations.
miles 15-19 were pretty much all hiking. the course description said this course was not too be underestimated and they werent kidding. i was a little nervous about the technical aspect of it, but just put one foot in front of the other and kept up in good spirits. every once in a while chatting with someone, or alone most of the time. i sometimes had music on and sometimes didnt.
i was hoping to be around 6 hours but didnt realize how hard the course would be. the middle miles were pretty much all technical rocky terrain. the few miles by the river felt like hiking up a waterfall that dried up. it was all rocks, small, medium, large. it wasnt runnable, maybe a tenth of a mile here and there. my slowest miles were 15, 16, 17, 18 which were all hiked.
i knew once we got to around 19-20 then there would be a lot of downhill. my hips started getting tight from all of the hiking. i also peed at ever aid station for some reason and then last time it hurt, i was afraid i was getting a bit dehydrated. oh i also took 2 salt sticks and then i think 2 more endurolytes, so about 1 every hour and a half. it did get into the 80s a couple of hours after starting.
once i got to the 2nd last aid station i knew most of the climbing was done so i was just focused on staying relaxed and getting to the next aid station. i was happy with how good i felt (probably the low effort).
i just wanted to get back to mile 23 for another cup of coke and then the last aid station was mile 26. my garmin was off by 2 miles because of the walking it shuts off sometimes. doing the math i was just trying to get through and get to the end.... i ran most of the last 10 miles but had to take a few walk breaks to pee, or to stretch the hips. it didnt really start to hurt until the last 5 miles which seemed to take forever!!! thats the only time i got tired and got a little frustrated realizing i was coming in around 7 hours! i knew mark was waiting for me and at that point i just wanted to finish. i also had a blister growing on the ball of my left foot, but i just tried to ignore it because i couldnt really do anything about it and it wasnt that bad.
knowing i only had a mile or two left was amazing. i was so happy to finish.
all in all it was a great experience. i will definitely do another 50k, next time though i will pick a less technical course and with less climbing. this course went from about 3200 ft to 6000 ft with over 5500 ft total climbing. too much of it was really rocky and just not runnable. at least not for me. so next 50k will be flatter so i can run more and hike less.
wore the pink nike pegasus and black pro compression socks (blisters)