Jason G. ran: Well, the big day I'v...

Track and share your training!

Dailymile makes it easy to keep track of your workouts. Map your routes and share with a community of active people.

  • 7 miles
  • 00:50 time
  • 06:40 pace
  • 981 calories
  • 512 ft climb
  • 190 max hr
  • 176 avg hr
    • Currently 5/5 Effort.
    effort 5/5
great Bloomsday 12 km 00:50 06:40 pace

Well, the big day I've specifically been training for since December finally arrived. I woke up well before my alarm at 5:30am, got up and fed our dogs, and made some coffee and a bowl of oatmeal. A similar routine worked well for the St. Paddy's Five so I figured I would stick with it.

I got down to the starting line just after 8AM so was only about 20 feet back from the front of the Yellow group. Tried to keep warm and people watch for the 50 minutes until our start. Very glad that I brought down a sweatshirt I didn't mind tossing right before the race started. Initially I was in the sun and okay, but towards race time the sun moved behind the buildings and I started to shiver.

The raced started and suddenly I was reminded of how much weaving you have to do for the first couple miles of the race even when you start in Yellow and are significantly faster than most of the people around you. Thank goodness for all those Fartleks I did in the last eight months because I had to do a lot of surging and slowing on Riverside.

Despite my lack of warmup I felt quite good and was able to settle into a faster pace on the final downhill on Riverside. I powered up that first big hill up to Government Way without too much trouble. I actually caught a Ferris freshman basketball player I coached last season right before that hill and totally considered talking some trash to him, but took the high road and kept going without saying anything.

The two mile mark is early on Government Way and I was pleased to see that I was right about 12:40. I actually figured that I would be slow through the first couple miles between the initial crowd and the first hill so that was a pleasant surprise. I was operating without any realtime pace data because my FR60's foot pod seems to have completely kicked the bucket now unfortunately.

I high fived my first spectator of the day just past the two mile mark as well. I think I got almost 10 people on the day actually including Spike the Bulldog and Otto the Indians mascot at the top of Doomsday. Even though I had a specific race time goal and was taking the run fairly seriously- when I saw that first kid getting ignored by runners uninterested in interacting with spectators I immediately decided to be a little more interactive this time around and show my appreciation when I could.

The rest of the way up to SFCC went pretty well. I eschewed the first water stop and cruised through. Cemetary Hill is kind of deceptively tough, but wasn't a killer. I was really happy to finally get up top by SFCC and know that I had another nice downhill coming up soon.

At this point I had a good pace pretty well established, but my body didn't feel under quite as much stress as I was expecting. So I wasn't quite sure if I was on pace, but every time I would hit a mile marker and check my split I would discover I was right where I wanted to. For whatever reason, my race pace didn't seem as strenuous as it had all those days I spent working on it over the last several months. I guess that's called peaking at the right time.

Doomsday as expected was somewhat hard, but I felt pretty strong and just focused on putting one foot in front of the other. I passed a few people on the way up that would pass me back once we reached the top, but couldn't attack the hill like I probably could if I lost another 10 pounds (maybe next year).

The rest of the way to finish line is pretty flat and straight so I settled into a nice cruise mode. I didn't do a good job of operating my watch so I don't have properly mile splits, but I would be curious to see what pace I was running post Doomsday. That far into the race most people are pretty well established in their paces and there isn't a whole lot of passing back and forth. I locked onto a couple runners and tried to keep in contact after they passed me on Mission. That strategy helped keep me on track on Broadway which seemed to stretch on forever.

I did the mental calculations and realized with about a mile to go that my sub 50 minute goal was still completely within reach. I still had a little left in the tank so picked up the pace while still saving a little for the turn at the final stoplight. Then I brought it home with as much kick as I could muster on the downhill on Monroe. 49:49 is the unofficial time I had by my watch.

Needless to say, really happy with the result after all those cold winter mornings and roughly 84 runs worth of work! Next up preparing for a marathon this Fall!

  • Emily M.
    Emily M.

    congratulations jason! so great to see all your hard work pay off!

    almost 7 years ago Like

  • Jason G.
    Jason G.

    Thanks Emily!

    almost 7 years ago Like

  • Clint J.
    Clint J. Great Performance
    Great Performance:

    Great report, fantastic pace! Your hard work really paid off.

    almost 7 years ago