Answers/

Race Resources

How do you hydrate and eat for an early morning 5K?

asked almost 5 years ago | Report

been running for about 5 months and now I'm running my first 5k this Saturday. The forecast is that it will be mid 40's around race time with cloud cover. The race starts at 8am. Any suggestions for what and how much to eat and drink the day before and morning of the race?

Thanks!

4 answers

scroll to bottom
  • The real answer here is a very personal one...what works for other runners may not work for you. Proper pre-race and during race diet is something that you should begin to experiment with during any training sessions that are similar the race distance/effort you will do. When the race comes, you should stick to what you know works for your body and just like other aspects of your preparation - don't change anything.

The 5K is a short enough duration that you don't want or need to be bogged down with a huge carbo load. Go go over board with hydration either...if your pee is clear you are hydrated adequately. Eat a good balanced meal the night before with some protein and carbs. Morning of the race I like light a light breakfast with some carbs (e.g., cereal, banana). About 30-15 minutes before the race I usually take a energy gel with about 8 oz water...then let it rip! Good luck on the race and experience with the diet a few months prior to the next race!

answered almost 5 years ago |Report

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I usually eat whatever the night before, and made sure that week I drink plenty of water as to not already be dehydrated come race day. As far as the morning before the race, I always drink a cup of coffee on my way to the race, and never ate anything. (The coffee always seems to wake me up a little more), lol. ( = I usually stopp and get a good meal somewhere after the race on my return home. But that's just me. If I eat before the race and then proceed to running really fast for some reason my food never wants to stay down = Ouch!.

Matt has a Grrrreat-Reply. It's best to experiment yourself what work for you, and when you find what works well go with it each time. Have a Grrrreat-Evening, Chad. ( = God Bless "You & Your-Family" is my Prayer...+

answered almost 5 years ago |edited almost 5 years ago |Report

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • Matt sums up what I was thinking very well. I always have a plate of spaghetti the night before a race, breakfast I will have about 1.5 - 2 hours from race time and will be a bannana with a piece of toast with peanut butter. This is what works for me though, I just wanted to give you an idea. Part of your training should include experimenting with diet to see what works for you. Good luck and enjoy your run!

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • My only recommendation is to not eat anything out of the ordinary. Stick with your normal diet, but look for something a little heavier on the carbs the night before. For breakfast, I usually will do a banana with toast and honey.

As has been said, 5K is not so long that you need to worry too much. As always, pay attention to your body, it will tell you what it needs. I personally have to watch my hydration as my system has a tendency to "flush" out in the 12 hours prior to a race...nerves, I guess. If that happens, drink a little extra and you'll be good to go.

Have fun!

thumbs up
      thumbs down

Similar Questions in Race Management - Race Resources