Forums/

Race Operations

RD's on dailymile?

posted almost 6 years ago | Report

Anyone direct a race out there?

I directed my first this November, the Javelina Jundred.

• I've been considering putting one on this summer. Somthing small and short. Maybe a mile run along the parade route, or a 5K.

How did you first event go? Big question I have is how to estimate turn out. I could get 30 or 300? Makes it tough to plan.

posted almost 6 years ago

• Jamil,

I direct the Derby 50k and Seaboard Festival 5k in NC. I also co-direct the Ellerbe Springs Marathon in NC. I've heard great things about your race.

Mark

• in reply to what Joe S. said:I've been considering putting one on this summer. Somthing small and short. Maybe a mile run along the parade route, or a 5K. How did you first event go? Big question I have is how to estimate turn out. I could get 30 or 300? Makes it... read more

My first event was a huge success. This was the race's 6th year and we had 147 starters. All of my early planning made a huge difference in how the event went off. Let's just say I will be directing it again this year!

• I am involved in the race directing of some small trail races in San Diego (5k & 10K's). Im not the "offical" director though. More like the supporting director. I do some of the small tasks like medals, running/flaggin the course, organizing race morning events, etc.

• in reply to what Jay P. said:I am involved in the race directing of some small trail races in San Diego (5k & 10K's). Im not the "offical" director though. More like the supporting director. I do some of the small tasks like medals, running/flaggin the cour... read more

Jay, do you guys have a rule of thumb to estimate how many people you'll get? What's typical turnout for your events?

• Hey guys,

I'm a Race Director in the Boston area. I'm part of a team that does a St Patrick's Day race in March (An Ras Mor 5k), and that puts on a marathon relay race on a track called the 26x1 Mile Relay. (26 people take turns each running 1600m - one person also runs 595 meters to make it a full marathon. lots of work, but so much fun).

I also work with an online race registration company, www.racemenu.com - we've got a free calendar to list your races if you're a race director. check it out!

Brendan

posted about 4 years ago | edited over 2 years ago