Forums/

Race Operations

Does this bother you?

posted almost 3 years ago | Report

A event promoter in my area is offering "A VIP Experience" at a race I usually run. For 130 bucks more the affluent runners get to be in a private heated tent, have private bathrooms, champagne and other luxury while the lower paying runners use the porta-johns.

Ok, so it bothers me and I don't know exactly why. I guess in this economy I feel like it's pretty insensitive. Maybe I am jealous because I can't afford it but I don't think I am.....I don't know. It bothered me enough that I removed myself from their mailing list and FB page and am not going to the run.

What is your opinion? Should "luxury runs" be separate events where everyone is treated the same and pays a lot. Is it demoralizing to run in the cheap seats behind the richy riches or is it nice that if you want to pay you can buy priority treatment? I would really like to know what everyone thinks.

11 posts

scroll to bottom
  • I look at it this way: If you're dumb enough to pay $130 for a private john and post-race champagne instead of free beer, you deserve to have your money taken. I pity those people.

posted almost 3 years ago | edited almost 3 years ago

• I dont know...if its extremely limited and includes special online coaching sessions and whatnot (like 75 people and then they cap it), then they are basically paying for the "loge" seating in a stadium. If its open to several hundred, then its definitely based on their ability to pay solely, and then it feels more class-conscious.

posted almost 3 years ago

• It's open to anyone who can pay the extra $130. It feels class-conscious to me. I mean, I feel ok about those who can afford it going to expensive dinners or whatever. However, runs are a community event. It just seems so um....wrong....to have the pack divided on those lines. Faster runners, people who train more, put more in.......they should get perks. But people who can afford to drop big bucks?? I feel squeamish about that.

• It shouldn't bother you. Maybe these people have special needs or requirements mentally, i.e. anxiety or insecurity or whatever. Oh sure you'll always have those few who feel they are better than everyone else. It's also a good way for an organizer to raise some additional funds.

• It is one of the perks of our country we have the choice. Either do it or don't. When I am racing I am trying to focus on myself and to try and get mentally ready. If I worry about others than I am not in the frame of mind I should be.

I do try to encourage others as the race is going on.

• champagne? when would you drink that? not before because well...don't drink and run.. not after because you are dehydrated enough.. seems like a silly waste of money to me but whatever floats their boat I'd think. I have never heard of something like that either. I don't really think I'd care what they do. Im like Adam...if someone is dumb enough to pay that kind of money..

• A little odd, I think... The thing I LOVE about running is it does not discriminate. Fat, skinny, rich and poor. We have a common crazy bond.

• That sort of luxury seems....odd to say the least. The whole event is about the body-that "luxury" would negatively alter my personal experience . A heated tent sounds ok this time of year. But come on really?!?! But, they wouldn't offer it if they didn't believe that people would buy into it. As for me....I'll take the thrill package minus the frills.

• Just seems silly to me.

• Thank you for all of your replies. I guess I am being silly to be bothered. Frustration with the economy and all of that is probably getting to me.

• I'm the person who just lets things roll off my back. Some of the people I run with always have the newest most expensive gear. There is a running store in our town that caters to the people who love shiny new things. Heck they even put you on a treadmill and have you run so that they can see what shoes you need. I have been in their and they always try to sell Newton running shoes. It doesn't bother me that these people buy expensive gear because if that is what they want to spend their money on then fine. I think it is pretty stupid to pay more for better toilets etc like you listed.