Forums/

Nutrition

which protein powder do you use?

posted over 2 years ago | Report

i'm auditioning protein powders for a post-workout drink (can't do milk) and am a bit overwhelmed by my options.

i'm looking for something that tastes good if mixed with water, not chalky, easy to mix (even without a blender) and not a whole bunch of additives like artificial sweeteners.

any recs? what are you drinking?

25 posts

scroll to bottom
  • I just use a simple, cheap, EAS 100%whey. It mixes well without a blender. There are better tasting ones, but it tastes alright. comes with 5g BCAA as well.

posted over 2 years ago

• BSN Syntha- 6 is the best tasting. I mix mine with Almond milk because I don't do dairy. Good for pre workouts as well, but I use it mostly for post workouts.

You don't need a blender just a basic shaker cup. The flavors are amazing from the vanilla ice cream to Strawberry to everything in between.

posted over 2 years ago | edited over 2 years ago

• I use Muscle Pharm combat powder, it is delicious and mixes really well even without a blender. I mix the chocolate with water a lot and its fine. I use the triple berry flavor for making really good recovery smoothies

posted over 2 years ago

• thanks for the recommendations guys! I know I can gt my hands on EAS pretty easily, I'll stop in my local GNC and check out the other brands mentioned.

posted over 2 years ago

• Honestly if you can't do milk, whey might be a terrible idea. Looks like you're in the states, give http://www.truenutrition.com a look - you can customize your own protein blend and they have a ton of flavors to choose from.

Aside from that, we usually get genuine health double chocolate vegan proteins+ from the grocery store. Mixes pretty well with water or almond milk and a standard shaker cup.

posted over 2 years ago

• I use brown rice protein in my morning smoothie. It's organic and doesn't use any solvent to extract the protein, which is a real plus. I'm also trying to find peas protein to add to the mix but it's really hard to find where I live.

posted over 2 years ago

• I love About Time Whey protein powder! The Birthday Cake flavor is delicious! It's low in sugar/calories but tastes great!

posted over 2 years ago

• Most protein powder has milk in it, and it is mainly used for bulking up. Most should not need protein powder unless they are doing seriously dialed workouts (think Mo farah or Dathan ritzenhein esque) an over 100 miles a week. But if you think that it will help a lot of my friends who weightlift use Body Fortress (found at walmart).

posted over 2 years ago

• I use ViSalus. I've tried all kinds of protein this is really the best tasting out there. There is no lactose in ViSalus protein powder either.

posted about 2 years ago | edited about 2 years ago

• I have found that triathletes seem to have nutrition down to a science So I have gone to triathlon stores and used hammer nutrition products, they have a great recovery drink. Recently I've been using Endurox R4, the taste is ok but my recovery has improved incredibly.
    Do not just eat protein! Be a professional and get the rite stuff.

posted about 2 years ago

• I actually prefer chia seeds from RunningFood.com. Not quite as much PRO than a traditional PRO powder, but it's a real food and has many benefits over some powder.

posted about 2 years ago

• I use Endurox R4 after runs over 18 miles.

posted about 2 years ago

• in reply to what Gator Mike said:I use Endurox R4 after runs over 18 miles.

I do what Gator Mike does... (only slower.)
    yeah, Endurox R4. I think the stuff actually works. I only use it for long workouts- over 2 or 3 hours, not on a daily basis.

posted about 2 years ago

• I use GNC for all my protein and advice in that area. They are always really kind and willing to help find what will work best for me. Everything I have used there never tasted chalky... thats why I went there, and the flavors are great!

posted about 2 years ago

• For a good while I was using Vega. Great taste, too. 100% vegetable/plant based.
    I know you are looking for something simple, but if you can, I have started making my own using brown rice, oatmeal, wheat berries, lentils, hemp seed, chia, flax (we have a Blendtec). So from there.....8 oz or so of Almond milk (I do no dairy), fruit of choice, a handful of greens (yes, kale, chard, etc) and sometimes an Avocado (as much soluble protein as an 8 oz steak plus all essential amino acids), one scoop of my powder and blend. Oh...and some raw Agave nectar for a little sweetness if needed. You could dehydrate the greens and grind up. I have used it in a blender bottle with no issues. Cost for my powder, about $15 for 2lbs.

posted about 2 years ago

• I think mine is called Pure Protein in frosty chocolate.

posted about 2 years ago

• if you can't do milk then it's probably best to stay away from Endurox or anything with Whey. I had luck at Whole Foods with a vegan protein but lately have been using VegaMax through my gym, Lifetime Fitness.

posted about 2 years ago

• I use NOW Whey. I get the unflavored version that only has 100% whey isolate in it, and thats it! No artificial ingredients or sweeteners. I then blend it with fruits, yummy! :)

posted about 2 years ago

• I use ViSalus. Honestly the best tasting shake mix, and I've tried lots! www.kimsalander.bodybyvi.com. I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have : )

posted about 2 years ago

• Garden of life raw protein, it's all plant and never been heated

posted almost 2 years ago

• Endurox is fantastic- Can use it on any runs over an hour, but it is just something that is a take as you need it type thing for me.

• Muscle milk has performed best for me when I was lifting weights. I don't use it much now because I feel like it slows me down. I like to stick to natural stuff but I have a good friend that loves to use muscle milk every day and it doesn't hurt his running.

• in reply to what Paul T. said:Garden of life raw protein, it's all plant and never been heated

Agreed! Garden of Life is amazing!

• I have been using Protein Powders for years.. I opt for the Kaizen Brand... I buy it at Costco.. Chocolate is great. and so is vanilla.. I think the majority of the brands now are easily mixed and taste great.. you have to pay attention to which ones use aspartame and sucralose.. depending on what you prefer in those.. some have a aftertaste... and you want to look at the amount of grams of protein you are getting per serving.. over 30g is always good...

• I've used tons of different kinds...I tend to like the products by Optimum nutrition and Gaspari, but I go through them kinda quickly and they tend to be more expensive than most. I will say, I love certain flavors when you mix in a scoop of peanut butter. Cookies n Cream, and banana both go very nicely with the PB...