Forums/

Nutrition

Dairy-free breakfast

posted almost 3 years ago | Report

Hi,
I am looking for something fresh and nutritious to eat for breakfast that does not contain dairy of any kind, excluding butter.
I have tried oatmeal and fried egg on toast, but got bored quickly. I need something that tastes good and gives a good start of the day, because I tend to skip breakfast.
Any suggestions would be great.

14 posts

scroll to bottom
  • Does yogurt count as dairy? It probably does.. I don't eat cheese or drink milk, but yogurt doesn't seem to both my stomach. I mix it with flax seed and frozen blueberries for a nice smoothie.

Other suggestions:
    * Cut up fruit
    * Fruit smoothie (fruit juice, fruit chunks; ice; fiber: flax/oats/etc)
    * Hard-boiled eggs

..The biggest thing that helped me was getting a hand blender. Super-easy cleanup means there's no excuse not to make something. I have this one (http://goo.gl/ivUaE) and it has worked great. You can easily mix up the drink to be non-dairy; and I also use it when making soups.

posted almost 3 years ago

• Hello Melissa! I actually just tried a new breakfast idea this morning. I loved it however my partner did not. You take quinoa and rinse it thoroughly. Then cook it as indicated on the packaging. Add some defrosted frozen berries (juice included) right before the quinoa is finished cooking. Add some cinnamon and honey and there you go! I don't know if you've ever tried quinoa but its a grain and a complete protein. Good luck!

posted almost 3 years ago | edited almost 3 years ago

• Oh, there are so many vegan breakfast choices i don't know where to begin!

Vegan breakfast muffins can be a good way to go. Make sure they're those ones that are packed full of fruit and bran and wholesome goodness and they should see you through to lunchtime. Make them the night before and then warm them up in the morning and eat as you go out the door!

What we call porridge over here ( I think its oatmeal in the US etc.). But you can do lots of different porridge bases - doesn't have to be only oats. Quinoa as Kat suggested, polenta, amaranth and other grains.

Scrambled tofu is my favourite option. It doesnt take long to make but i usually only manage it at the weekends. you can add suppliments like nutritional yeast flakes to make it an even healthier start to your day.

Soya/rice/oat milk-based smoothies.

I'll let others chime in now..!

• in reply to what Hannah said:Oh, there are so many vegan breakfast choices i don't know where to begin! Vegan breakfast muffins can be a good way to go. Make sure they're those ones that are packed full of fruit and bran and wholesome goodness and they should see y... read more

haha Hannah are you vegan?? it seems as though you might be!

• The Dolce Diet breakfast bowl. Mike Dolce is a world class MMA trainer and nutrition expert.

Cook 100% Oat bran (not oatmeal)
    add a spoon of flax as it cooks
    handful of strawberries and blueberries as it cooks
    spoon of almond butter after cooking
    dash cinammon
    drizzle with agave (organic agave syrup)
    slice banana to top off.

100% natural, no preservatives or dairy

I add almond milk (not dairy) to change the consistency and change fruits to keep it from getting boring.

• Thank you so much everyone, I'll start trying your suggestions right away!

• in reply to what Hannah said:Oh, there are so many vegan breakfast choices i don't know where to begin! Vegan breakfast muffins can be a good way to go. Make sure they're those ones that are packed full of fruit and bran and wholesome goodness and they should see y... read more

I'm curious how to make amaranth...bought some to try it, but haven't used it yet. Ideas?

As far as breakfast, I am not one to eat at home as I have an hr commute to work and it's annoying enough to wake up in time, ha ha, so I tend to purchase Clif, Luna, or Clif Builder bars for my breakfast with a piece of fruit.

That said, anything that is made with dairy can be done with non-dairy...experiment with the non-dairy beverage that you like. I make my own soymilk at home, some like almond or cashew milk, the sky's the limit. Oatmeal (steel-cut variety) can be made in a crockpot so it's hot when you wake up in the am. Or, rolled oats can be refrigerated overnight to soften with some non-dairy milk, frozen or dried fruit, flax seed, etc.

Fun!

posted almost 3 years ago | edited almost 3 years ago

• Yes, guilty as charged. A vegan.

on:amaranth. basically like any other grain, rice etc. works well in a porridge too, can be combined with millet for a different consistency. should be some recipes online, i haven't cooked with it for a few years actually. might try and track some down. also i like polenta too for its versatility.

Love the sound of the Dolce Diet breakfast bowl. I'll be trying that.

I also posted a recipe for homemade energy bars on my profile page earlier on in the week. They've been a hit for me and great for an on-the-run breakfast. i keep them in the freeze wrapped in film/foil.

• My favorite breakfast is one whole egg and one egg white, with turkey sausage crumbles, bell pepper and spinach. A great way to get vegetables with breakfast. So healthy and so filling!

• I love having green smoothies in the morning because I find the greens to be really filling.

A couple options are...
    1 cup frozen blueberries
    1/2 - 1 cup shredded kale
    1 cup soy/almond milk

1 frozen banana
    1/2 - 1 cup shredded kale
    1 cup soy/almond milk

So good!

posted over 2 years ago

• Here is a sweet breakfast rice:
    1 cup cooked brown rice (i use a gf kind but any brown rice is fine)
    3 dates
    1/3 cup water
    3/4 whole banana
    Cook your rice according to package. Stir and set aside. Place the dates and water in a blender and process briefly. Add the banana and and process till smooth. Pour this over the warmed rice.
    You can use all different dried fruits or frozen fruits or fresh fruits... also add vanilla or cinnamon for a different flavor.

These I make for the hubby because he can do the gluten... I alter it for me and make it with other types of flour for gluten free and vegan happy :

Blueberry oatmeal muffins

serves 12 calories 123 total fat 0.5g cholesterol 0mg total carbs 27.8g dietary fiber 2.4g sugars 12.7g protein 2.1g

This is a gluten receipe****(my husband loves these)
    1 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
    1/2 cup rolled oats
    2 tsp baking powder
    1 tsp baking soda
    1/4 tsp salt
    1 tsp ground cinnamon
    1/2 tsp ground ginger
    1 cup unsweet applesauce
    1/2 cup brown sugar
    1/4 cup maple syrup
    3/4 cup blueberries

Preheat oven 350. grease or spray muffin tins or use paper liners
    2. in a large bowl whisk flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and spices together until combined.
    3. add applesauce, sugar, and maple syrup and stir till combined
    4. add blueberries and stir till just combined
    5. sproon into muffin cups 3/4 full
    6. bake for 18-25 min or till toothpick inserted comes out clean.
    7. transfer to wire cooling rack and devour later

posted over 2 years ago | edited over 2 years ago

• Here is a Granola bars one...I make this on the weekend and they last me all week. I do a few so I am not eating the same thing each morning...
    1. Granola Bars:
    this serves 18
    2 Cups rolled oats (I use Gluten free oats)
    3/4 cup chopped walnuts, sunflower seeds, or almonds ( I do a mix with all three or two- play with it)
    3/4 cup chopped dried fruit- apricots, cranberries, dates, figs, currants, raisins or plums (again use a few or all or just one... fun to mix em up)
    1/2 cup sweetened shredded coconut (I use a fresh coconut and shred it myself- then I have the juice to drink too!)
    2 Tlb rice bran
    2 Tlb packed light brown sugar
    1 tsp ground cinnamon
    1/2 tsp sea salt
    1/4 tsp xanthan gum
    2 Tlb ground flax meal
    2 tsp pure vanilla
    1/4 cup boiling water
    1/3 cup honey
    1/3 cup canola oil (i like walnut oil and use that instead)
    1. place a rack in the middle of the oven. Preheat oven 325. Line a 9X13 inch metal cake pan with parchment paper and let it extend over the sides.
    2. spread the oat in the pan and toast them in the oven, stir occasionally, just until they become fragrant (10 min or so) Transfer the oats to a large bowl and coat the parchment with cooking spray or oil.
    3. in the large bowl, toss the oats with nuts, dried fruit coconut, bran, brown sugar, sinnamon, salt, and xanthan gum until mixed. In a small bowl, whisk the flax meal and vanilla into the boiling water and let stand until slightly thickened, (5 min or so) Whisk the honey and oil into the flax mix until blended and pour it over the oat mix. Toss with spatula until oats are coated.. press mix evenly into pan
    4 bake until granola is crisp and light brown (25-30 min) cool granola in the pan and invert pan onto a large cutting board, remove parchment paper and cut into 18 squares (aprx 4x1 1/2 inches) Serve at room temp. Store tightly covered. keep in the fridge for up to a month.

posted over 2 years ago | edited over 2 years ago

• Something really simple you can have is cereal (healthy stuff, no Cap'n Crunch or Froot Loops, lol...as much as I love those!) with soy milk. Soy milk is my best friend! It has less fat and I believe maybe even a little more calcium than dairy milk. Great source of protein as well.

posted over 2 years ago

• Almond milk in any cereal is great for a fast breakfast. I also suggest having a banana with almond butter on it.....delicious and nutritious and simple.

posted over 2 years ago