Answers/

Nutrition

Sweat Salt after long hot runs???

asked about 5 years ago | Report

I have been a runner since childhood... and I noticed that after a long sweaty run I have salt dryed onto my face... I talked to my doctor about and was told I have low sodium and to beware of this condition when running over 60 minutes runs due to over hydration something about my body not hydrating correctly... just wondering about anyone else having these symptoms

12 answers

scroll to bottom
  • I get salt lines all the time too when it's hot. Just compensate for it by increasing the amount of sodium or ratio of mix to water in your drinks when exercising.

answered about 5 years ago |Report

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • Hey Andrew, good question. Sweating in general contains salt - it's what allows you to excrete water and ultimately the water cools you down. When it's hot out, or your exert yourself more, you'll sweat more, taking more water out of your body to try to lower your body temp. What you describe, if prolonged, can lead to heat exhaustion and in the extreme, heat stroke.

Drinking straight water will replenish the fluid volume you've just lost, but will also accomplish a further dilution of the salt remaining in your body. You'll definitely need to replenish that as you run longer distances, especially when in a hot, sunny environment.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • On hot days, electrolyte replacement is a must. When I ride in those conditions, one of my bottles is full of Clif Shot Electrolyte replacement.

My marathoner friend swears by Gatorade.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • After my 1/2 marathon I said to my friend "I have dirt all over my face" she just laughed and said, "um, no, it's salt" I notice it happens to me after running and sweating but I didn't know it was anything to worry about! I just thought it was dried sweat.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I have the same issue (salt crust after long runs especially in 60 plus degrees) - when I asked my doctor about it, I was concerned about nutrition as well - because I felt like I was really eating and drinking when I should an no other indicators of poor nutrition (leg cramps etc.), but my doctor simply said - some people have saltier sweat than others... which I guess take it for what you will, but now I'm worried about this "low sodium" thing - did you have blood tests? (:furiously googles:)

Oh and if you carry your water/gatorade when you run I HIGHLY recommend trying coconut water (it's becoming popular for a reason ; ) ) - 650mg potassium, 35 sodium and magnesium as well - GREAT for the heart

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • When I start noticing salt on my face, I take that as my body telling me PLEASE DRINK MORE WATER. So I do. :)

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • This is only dangerous if you are sweating ALOT. It is fixed real easily if you are worried though. If you are running for an hour or more, lick a mcdonald salt packet off your hand before the run. If you are running longer than 2 hours, take one with you.

answered over 3 years ago |Report

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • My face gets caked with salt, and training in the Florida summers doesn't help, as I sweat buckets on even the shortest runs. I fear overhydration with just plain water, so I always mix Powerade or G, and H20 1:1 for my long runs. If I'm doing 13mi or over, I do the salt pack thing , too...once at the start and one half way through.

answered over 3 years ago |edited over 3 years ago |Report

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • If you have low sodium and the doctor is saying that you are over-hydrating, that means you've been drinking too much water and not replenishing minerals. Water, while great for hydration, also leaches minerals/electrolytes from your body. Salts are essential for nerve and muscle function, and while water is an important part of that rehydration process, alone it can do a lot of damage, including hyponatremia.

But yes, I get very salty after a run, to the point where I can dust it off into a bottle and make a drink out of it. My cat thinks I'm his personal salt lick when I get home.

answered over 3 years ago |edited over 3 years ago |Report

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • Wow, I too am covered in dried salt sometimes after a run, really, anyone over 3 miles. I did not realize this could be potentially dangerous...

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • HUH??? Your doctor told you you have low sodium just because you have dried salt on your face after a long run?? I would find another doctor. What is your diet like?? If you are consuming more than 1K mg of sodium per day -it's too much. Your body is just getting rid of it. A one to three hour run is (usually) not long enough to cause hyponatremia. It's usually people out over 4+ hours who are pounding the water to themselves.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • i just try to bring along a bottle of gatorade or G2 with me on my run and sip it everymile. when i rely on just water the salt on my skin gets really bad and I wonder if I'm even sweating though all the build up

thumbs up
      thumbs down

Similar Questions in Health & Fitness - Nutrition