Forums/

Newbies

48 year old mom just started running ...............

posted over 3 years ago | Report

Ok, well this is all new to me. My family will describe me as the most unathletic person ever! I began losing weight a year ago (70 pounds and 15 to go) and last month decided I would start running. I have never ran in my life so this is a huge challenge for me. My goal is to run a 5k at the end of August. My 12 year old daughter is running too, but not so excited about it. Are there any other older moms out there just beginning this journey?

13 posts

scroll to bottom
  • not an older mom but wanted to say great job and good luck!

posted over 3 years ago

• I'm a 38 year old mom of 4 and I just started last week.
    Now that I'm definitely done having babies I want to really work at getting in shape. I've been doing the elliptical since January which has built up my endurance so now I feel ready to try running (actually, it is more like jogging!). I'm not doing the C25k - instead I have a regulary route that I am adding jogging intervals to - I jog for as long as I can, then walk, then jog...
    I need to lose at least 10 more pounds but will be really happy to lose 20 pounds - I'm hoping running will help me do that, but more importantly, I'm hoping I can become a runner!
    Good Luck!

posted over 3 years ago

• I'm a 33 year-old mom, but could most definitely give you some competition for "most unathletic person ever!" As in: never played any sports, never exercised for more than a few days at a time, never competed in anything.

A few years ago (between baby #2 and baby #3) I started C25K and ran my first couple 5Ks. Baby #3 did a number on me and I was back to "most unathletic." Now baby #3 is 21 months old. I started over and committed to running a half marathon coming up in September. So my training schedule literally started with run 1 mile, and will end with a long run of 10 miles.

I can now run 5.5 miles at a time without stopping, although I am very slow! I feel so great when I'm finished. It's a challenge at times to find the time. Mostly I get up early (5 or 5:30) to get my running in before the day starts.

Stick with it and you'll be amazed at yourself before long! Set your sights high- you can do this!

Holle

posted over 3 years ago

• I'm a 44 year old Mom with still another 55 lbs to go and I did the 9 week Couch to 5K program. I just completed it and I'm running 35 minutes now, 3 times a week at a 3.4mile clip so that's a 5K. I'm planning on running a race in mid-September. My first real race in 10 years. I'm doing this and I'm still over 200lbs so you can do it. I would highly recommend that program. You can Google it and find plans out there. I can't wait to see how I do with 50lbs down.

posted over 3 years ago

• Thanks for the encouragement. I too never played sports, I attend a gazillion sporting events as our six kids are athletic. (thank goodness they did not get my genes). What an accomplishment to run 5.5 miles. How long did it take to run 5.5 miles without stopping? Keep up the good work. Do you run everyday? I run every other day and do some other cardio on my nonrun days.

posted over 3 years ago

• I'm a 46 year old mom of 4 and started running about 3 months ago, and now I love it! I try to run about 4 times a week, and then add spinning classes, and a couple of fitness classes too through-out the week. I have done a 5K ...... and my goal was to finish, which I did and I wasn't last ! I plan on doing some more, and am working on putting up a better time.

posted over 3 years ago

• I'm a 31 y.o. mom of two who never really lost the baby weight. I did couch to 5k last year and ran the race at 270lbs, my highest weight. I am re-starting the program now to run it again, so I am with you in this long journey. If I can do it, you can, so good luck!

posted over 3 years ago

• in reply to what Cindi said:Thanks for the encouragement. I too never played sports, I attend a gazillion sporting events as our six kids are athletic. (thank goodness they did not get my genes). What an accomplishment to run 5.5 miles. How long did it take to run 5.5 miles ... read more

My pace is usually around 13 minutes/mile, so about 1 hour, 15 minutes. The training plan I'm using has me running 4 days a week MTW & Sat. (long run) with rest day on Thursday, crosstraining on Friday and stretch/strengthening on Sunday. Keep working at it! My challenge will be continuing through the winter. That's where it all seems to fall apart for me, and then I feel like I'm starting over every spring.

posted over 3 years ago

• I'm a 40 year old mom of 3 and I started C25K yesterday. Hopefully I can find a way to get rid of the shin splints, because it's the only part that hurt. Otherwise I'm ready to be a runner! I've lost 60 pounds since March 1st, and I want to lose another 78.

posted over 3 years ago

• Meg
    Meg Sendmail

I'm 57 and have been running for a year, on and off. I've run 3 5Ks and am training for my 1st 1/2 marathon in Oct. There are many training plans you can find online, they're helpful in steering you in the right direction. My son tells me to run with friends but I'm out in the country and my friends think I'm nuts, so I run with my dog! If you have someone to run with, then when the sheets try to hold you prisoner in bed (if you run early like I do) it makes it a bit easier to get up and go. Good for you and good luck on your training, you can do this!

posted over 3 years ago

• You are so funny. I'm 48 as well and started running about a year ago. I am without a doubt, the most unathletic, uncoordinated person out there. In fact, none of my friends can believe that I'm running. Before I started running, I rode a stationary bike for exercise - since I'm so uncoordinated that I'd fall off a real one! :)

Congrats on your fantastic weight loss. You'll have no problem losing the last 15 since running blasts fat better than anything I've ever tried.

Keep us posted on your goal of running a 5K. You can do it!

posted over 3 years ago

• I also live in the country. I am running with my "fluffy" (my family calls her fat) dog. She looks forward to the run. I would be embarassed to run with anyone as I am very slow. Thanks for the encouragement.

posted over 3 years ago

• This DM is a great place. I really felt like I was the only unathletic person out there. Do you run everyday?

posted over 3 years ago