Forums/

Newbies

stop smoking and start running

posted about 4 years ago | Report

any smokers out there that quit and are now running? i quit a long time ago and ran everyday! felt great!! started smoking again for a while now... any good ideas on quitting and getting back to running? thanks

20 posts

scroll to bottom
  • i'd just start running and once you realize how much smoking affects your performance you'll want to quit again....thats how i quit.

posted about 4 years ago

• thanks jeff , i'll start working on that tomorrow!!

posted about 4 years ago

• hi. i've been smoking for 7 years. April 2010, i started running and joined several 5K runs. I decided to quit smoking approximately 1 month prior to my first 10K run. now i'm 1 month free of smoking. it improved my breathing and didn't pant that way i did when i was still smoking and of course you'll smell and look better. :D

posted about 4 years ago

• I smoked 13 years and quit 1 1/2 years ago- I started to amp my work out at that point for weight gain fear- I can't believe the damage to my lungs- So here we are now- and I am still feeling like I have damaged lungs- much better than before but it takes A LONG time to heal...
    Just do it - no excuses- just quit- I was at 2.5 packs a day you can do it!!!

posted about 4 years ago

• I quit in September 2009. I started running in January to reinforce my quitting. I was never good at running, even before smoking so I decided if I can build up my endurance I'd be so happy I would never risk it by going back to smoking. So far it's working great, I haven't smoked and I am up to 5+ miles without walking or stopping, I never thought I'd be able to do that.

If I were you I'd quit first, take 2 weeks to focus on it. When a craving happens don't run from it, hit it head on. See how bad you can make that craving get, and just don't give in. Make it a game. Once you've gotten past 2 weeks I'd start walking/light jogging and go from there.

good luck, you can do it!

posted about 4 years ago

• do you remember what it was like last time you quit? I bet you could smell smokers 2 ailes away at the grocery store. well that stink is now on you now. make it go away for good.

best of luck. you can do it.

posted about 4 years ago

• I quit about two months ago and started running around the same time. Have you tried the patch? It really worked for me! Also, yoga seemed to really help the emotional cravings. It's such a difficult habit to break..for good! How did you do it before?

posted almost 4 years ago

• I gave up my addiction to nicotine and became addicted to DM!!! You will like the alternative, plus you will make more friends on DM! nuf said!

• I smoked for 25 yrs, tried just about everything going, Champix worked like magic for me, you just need a prescription from your Dr and make sure you do the full treatment. I am 1yr smoke free and getting ready for my third triathlon of the year (not ironman's though!)

• best of luck to you. I've quit smoking serveral times for as long as 2 years, mostly because I became pregnant. I've quit all different ways but cold turkey works best for me. I cut a straw down to the size of a cigarette and tape one end and smoke the other. When the urge hit, I pretended to smoke using the straw. Took a couple of months to wean off the straw but at least I wasn't smoking. I used the straw mainly while driving, that was the hardest for me.

• I decided that I'm going to use running as one of many tools to help me quit smoking! We can keep each other posted on how it goes!!!!

• I just summed up my whole smoking drama in a handy blog post! http://fatgirlscanrun.com/2010/08/09/when-it-gets-hard-just-run/

• You can do it! I quit in 1997 after smoking 2 1/2 packs a day for 18-19 years. I tried probably 15 times, longest being 2 years off cigs. I was a "miler" in high school and ran in college then quit running after getting married. I put on the pounds too. I just decided I was done with it. I used the patch a couple days then went cold turkey. The key is not to pick up ONE cigarette EVER. My downfall was thinking I could smoke one or two here or there but I was a die hard smoker. It is all or nothing for me.
    I started back running in 2006 and have never felt better! I would not think of smoking now. I rarely even think of it at all The desire to smoke goes away gradually over time.

• I know this is an old thread, but I'd like to throw my two cents in. I smoked for 20+ years, ever since I was a freshman in college. I quit in January, 2010. It's been one year and I don't think I'll ever go back (fingers crossed).

Two things have helped immensely:

1) Running. Running has some of the positive effects of smoking (stress relief) while being incompatible with smoking. Definitely cannot smoke and run at the same time.

2) The book, Allen Carr's Easy Way to Quit Smoking. It's like hypnotherapy in a book. Taught me to understand that: I really don't like smoking; I don't really want to smoke; smoking is what makes me want to smoke (e.g. the moment I inhale, I trigger withdrawl that make me want to take another hit).

Also, scare tactics are counter-productive. Studies show that scaring smokers with health/social consequences of smoking only makes them smoke more.

Hope things are going well. If you're still smoking, keep trying to quit. I can't begin to count how many times I tried before it really stuck.

posted over 3 years ago

• I too realize this is an old thread but I can't resist...

I got to watch both my parents die from smoking related illnesses, a lingering, 2 year death for my father, so I'd suggest visiting some assisted living centers that have some folks dealing with emphysema, congestive heart failure, COPD, etc. It is a sobering reality when you realize what big tobacco has perpetrated on the citizens of the world and what effect is has on a loved one. Do it for your kids, your spouse, your friends. My mother alway wanted a girl (she had two boys) and my wife and I gave her a granddaughter two years before she died from lung cancer.

Needless to say I have never smoked and abhor anything to do with tobacco. I'll leave it at that. Good luck with quitting and I hope you put 'em down for good this time.

posted over 3 years ago | edited over 3 years ago

• in reply to what Tim G. said:I smoked for 25 yrs, tried just about everything going, Champix worked like magic for me, you just need a prescription from your Dr and make sure you do the full treatment. I am 1yr smoke free and getting ready for my third triathlon of the year (... read more

Me too Tim! I smoked one pack/day for about 20 years. I quit smoking just over 1 year ago this month. I can now run 7 miles. At first, when I ran I felt asthmatic. Now, I crave running to keep the smoking cravings at bay. And, every once in a while, I push myself to go fast, because for whatever reason, breathing hard from the exercise makes me feel better! I am so glad I quit!

posted over 3 years ago

• It's encouraging to see how many people have kicked the habit for good after so long. I have only smoked for about 6 years (bought a pack on my 18th birthday and within a year I was smoking a pack a day) After reevaluating some choices I made during college I have gotten serious about my fitness and after a long period of tapering and flip flopping on my decision to quit I am currently edging up to my 3rd week of my final 'quit' It hasn't been very long but I can already feel my body recovering and other than when I see someone smoking a cigarette in a movie I don't usually have any strong urges to smoke (I think quitting during the winter is helping pity those who still have to go outside to smoke!) I used the patch for the first week but between taking it off at night to avoid sleep disruption and two hours before working out to avoid *EHS I decided it was pointless to give my body waves of nicotine. That said the patches did let me avoid that first "Hell Week" and pass right into week #2 or "Kind of Anxious Week". After contemplating on all of my 'attempts' I realized I had thought I -should- quit without actually making the decision -to- quit. So I did some research, put a mark on my calendar one month past my decision (Feb 1st - new years resolution or *whatever*) and put out the last butt at 11:37p January 31st. It hasn't been terribly easy but the farther I get from smoking the more I realize how ridiculous it was. I now notice how much easier it is to breath while I'm running, I am adding a stroke between breaths when I swim, my smoker friends suddenly started to smell like butt, and whenever I see someone smoking in real life it looks comical. (still, movie smoking gets me craving, I don't know why.) I have to say that on an individual basis there is no 'Big Tobacco' more than there is a 'Big French Fry' or 'Big Whiskey'. Anyone who has started smoking, become overweight, or started drinking too much has made a decision to do so -whether they gave it deliberate thought or not (don't worry, I know there are exceptions to overweight). It is important to realize that you are the sum of your decisions: smokers decide to smoke, runners decide to run. Obviously addiction is a very real thing - physically speaking - but understanding that craving a cigarette is a psychological response to the physical occurrence of nicotine withdraw and that not indulging will over time eliminate that physical aspect and help you make it through that craving.

It also doesn't hurt to go for a good hard run or drop and give yourself 20 - as it were.

Kellie G. - how do your cravings a year after quitting compare to those within the first few weeks/months?

posted over 3 years ago

• I came across your question in a list of results ...I had typed in the same question. I too, am right at the place where i'm going to quit again, yes-again. I had quit and ran and cycles as a means to achieve enough endorphins to counter the stresses that quitting pose. It was wonderful to be able to smell the subltle signs of salt in the air, the pollen from flowers on the trails I'd run...having a sense of purpose that you can fulfil once a day and feel like an ccomplished human being day by day. I'd highly recommend that you fulfil your desire to put away the poisonous things, like I am, and get those feet moving. eat well, run for your life, and have a nice day.
    -Jerret Pate

posted over 1 year ago

• Yes, quit smoking and start running! Obviously when you quit smoking it helps your run. I tried to post a link but it won't let me. I think it would have helped you, sorry.

posted over 1 year ago | edited over 1 year ago

• I have never smoked, but my husband did for over 30 yrs. He went cold turkey and has never looked back. Good job quitting ... and I am sure that the running will keep you away from that bad habit. You can do it again ... especially for your baby. Good luck!!!

posted over 1 year ago