Forums/

Newbies

New to DM and hoping to share motivation with others!

posted over 2 years ago | Report

In short (hopefully!): In Spring 2010, I took steps to finally get my health and fitness into check after years of neglecting it (not being out of shape, but not being completely healthy!) I started to walk daily.. to save time here, on and off through til Spring 2012 has brought me to where I am now.. I'm not in horrible shape, but at 35 (36 next month!!) I am wanting to push my power walking to jogging and now I want to push that to running! It's early days and I'm going to be patient! But I know it's going to take some time, dedication and lots of motivation.. so any I can get would be awesome!

For now, I'm aiming to jog/walk 3 miles 4x a week (with more jogging than walking), right now, I'm averaging 31 minutes per 3 miles. My shortest term goal is to be able to jog one continuous mile by the time I turn 36 (July 25) and further on by Autumn to hopefully be up for a 5k! (I aim to start a C25K program soon since I took some time-off since my partner from the US was visiting!!)

hope this wasn't too long for an intro!! The more we can motivate each other, the better!!

29 posts

scroll to bottom
  • Hey Trish,

Your intro wasn't too long and I am glad to read about another newbie runner and her goals!

I joined DM last month to track my traing for my first 5k race. I wasn't in bad shape and I eat healthy but I knew I needed to exercise too. I started walking off and on in March and April but it was half hearted at best. Then I read about the Wipro marathon and I signed up in May. I about 3-4 miles three times a week. My first goal is to run my 5k in 30 minutes with out stopping. It would be great to motivate each other. Thanks!

posted over 2 years ago | edited over 2 years ago

• Hi Tish! Sounds like you are on the right track. Good luck with future run/walks. FR coming your way.

posted over 2 years ago

• Hiya Juanita! thank you!! I'm so glad I found this website (I did via a widget on a blog!)
    I'm thinking about registering for a local 5k that's in mid-October to really get my backside moving! I would be happy to motivate and cheer you on!!!:) :)

posted over 2 years ago

• Thanks Stephanie! I am happiest when I am moving (and my most calm, too!) All the best to you, too!!:):)

posted over 2 years ago

• be careful about getting too concerned about pace. A lot of people think they are only getting better if their pace keeps getting faster. I've seen a lot of people on this website logging 4 miles runs with a 9:00 pace. Then they race a 5k and have an 8:45 pace. Your everyday runs should not be anything like a race effort.

run lots. mostly easy. sometimes fast.

posted over 2 years ago

• I love this! And good luck trish you can do it!

posted over 2 years ago

• Great job getting started here! I agree with a previous post -- take your time, and don't be overly concerned with pace. FR sent!

posted over 2 years ago

• thanks guys for your support!! I'm just happy if I can manage to keep going steadily, even if it's only a bit above fast walking! And if I can do that 4x a week to (really) start this effort, I'll be happier! Slow going and early days, I'm in no rush!!
    thanks for all the FR's too! :)

posted over 2 years ago

• Welcome! And loads of luck coming your way...you can definitely do it!

posted over 2 years ago

• thank you!!! I am going to keep telling myself that I can do it! I can't give up, even on the days I go extra slow, I'm still moving!!!

posted over 2 years ago

• sounds like a plan - welcome - friend request sent

posted over 2 years ago

• hi Ann! got it and have accepted! thank you!! :):) this community buzzes with positivity, love it!!:) happy Saturday:):)

posted over 2 years ago

• Sounds like you are off to an awesome start!! :) - Heather

posted over 2 years ago

• Welcome to dailymile! I've been here for a few months and am loving the new healthier version of myself. FR sent. :)

posted over 2 years ago

• Sounds like your ready to take on your goals! You can do this!! Good luck:) FR sent.

posted over 2 years ago

• ditto below

• still getting the hang of this posting ...grrr

• in reply to what Doug said:be careful about getting too concerned about pace. A lot of people think they are only getting better if their pace keeps getting faster. I've seen a lot of people on this website logging 4 miles runs with a 9:00 pace. Then they race a 5k ... read more

sounds like sound advice....i must remember this

posted over 2 years ago

• thanks Dawn for the words and the FR!! (got it and accepted!!) good luck to you too! knowing there is this great community here helps so much!!

posted over 2 years ago

• Hi,

Its my second year of running, i did an half last year and i plan to run two half at the end of this summer. I do this for the fun of it and loose some weight i got at this same computer i'm using right now! I got hurt in the middle of decembre 2011, now i'm okey, but its hard to be behind what i was doing before it happened.

So feel free to add me, any motivation is welcome :)

posted over 2 years ago

• Hiya Martin! I've added you! thanks for the FR!! I hope your healing is coming along okay...all we can do is slowly build back up to where we were and get there with time!! And on days when I don't feel like even moving, let alone getting out the front door, I just remind myself that any motion is better than none! :)

posted over 2 years ago

• I am new to this too. I really like this site for keeping up with my progress. I am nowhere in the league of most of these runners, but I am trying. Good luck to you! I will send you a FR :)

posted over 2 years ago

• I just saw this now, Alli!!! It's a great website...so much variety in athletes but so far I've not encountered any negative behaviour (or over competitiveness, etc!) Will definitely do what I can to keep you (and others!) motivated!! thanks for the FR!:)

posted over 2 years ago

• Hello Trish, FR sent

posted over 2 years ago

• Hiya Gavin! Just got it and thank you!!!!:)

posted over 2 years ago

• Welcome and FR sent! Anyone feel free to add me as well...can always use more motivation :)

posted over 2 years ago

• got it! thank you!!!!:)

posted over 2 years ago

• agree with Doug. enjoy and don't stress pace. i am certainly not "fast", but when conditions are right (cool, i am rested, not focused on pace) my times seem better. focus on staying healthy (no injury) and finishing whatever goal you have. you will do great! keep at it and enjoy!

posted over 2 years ago

• Thanks for the reassurance Bill!! Since I've let up on what my pace is/isn't, I am enjoying myself more and my focus is going towards my stride, making sure I keep steady without going too quick and my breathing (this has been so helpful!)..
    I just want to enjoy myself, which I am!!:)

posted over 2 years ago