Forums/

Newbies

Training for first half marathon - looking for friends for support

posted over 2 years ago | Report

I have been on DM for about 3 months now but I only just started really using the tool properly. I thought I couldn't run further than the end of the road but I've suprised myself, I just ran my second 10km race and I loved it!
My goal is to run my first half marathon in October.
I live in a small town in South Korea and running partners are hard to come by so I'm looking for some DM friends to help me along the way!

19 posts

scroll to bottom
  • Bri
    Bri Sendmail

I start training for my first half marathon next week myself, though mine will be in January! I'm sneaking in a few tests here and there while I try and figure out the best time to go out so that I don't bake in the Arizona sun ;) I can't wait to have that feeling of accomplishment of crossing the finish line, though! I totally get what you mean about thinking you couldn't run to the end of the road and surprising yourself. It's a great feeling!

posted over 2 years ago

• I started running a year ago, so am definitely still a newbie. I've run a few 5k's, and ran my first 10k in April. This week I finally commited to a half, and will run it in October.

posted over 2 years ago

• Hi Anna, good luck. For finishing a half marathon you need to be regular. I've watched your schedule and I think you goes right. Try to make a day with longer workouts. Try to achieve de 12 km and put 0,5 kms more every week. If you don't mind I'll train my english with you.

posted about 2 years ago

• Welcome! I just started running in January, so right now my focus is my first 5k in July....There is a half marathon here in October, but I don't know if I'll be ready! So far, the longest I've ever run is 5 miles and it was not easy!! Anyway, I really love this site. It's great for tracking mileage and connecting with other runners! And I find it keeps me more accountable!

posted about 2 years ago | edited about 2 years ago

• That is great you are making progress! And have committed to a goal! I just did my first half marathon in April, and it was great! I also really surprised myself. And I think I may do my second one this year. Best of luck with your training! I'm excited to hear more about it.

posted about 2 years ago

• I'm was in the process of training for a half when I got sidelined by plantar fasciitis and am slowly working my mileage back up and hope to run a half next year.

posted about 2 years ago

• Thanks for the requests, your support is already a huge encouragement!
    I'm trying to make sure I go out at least once a week for a longer run and adding at least 0.5km a week to get my distance up. Here's to another week of training!

posted about 2 years ago | edited about 2 years ago

• I've run two 10k's myself and I'm committed to a third 10k and a HM in September. I've been running about 3 years, but only in the last year started to do it for fun and for longer distances.

posted about 2 years ago

• Hi Anna. You seem to be building a good base. To ditto Toni, you're definitely ready for a long run once every week or two. After taking-off two years, I started running again a couple months ago, and I'm set on a half marathon in October (Fortunately, I was NOT a couch potato during that time! lol) Keep-up the consistency and take your time in building-up. You'll be amazed at how far your body will take you...

posted about 2 years ago

• in reply to what Mark A. said:Hi Anna. You seem to be building a good base. To ditto Toni, you're definitely ready for a long run once every week or two. After taking-off two years, I started running again a couple months ago, and I'm set on a half marathon in Octobe... read more

Thanks for the advice, it's good to hear you're half marathon bound in October too.

posted about 2 years ago

• in reply to what Dawn W. said:That is great you are making progress! And have committed to a goal! I just did my first half marathon in April, and it was great! I also really surprised myself. And I think I may do my second one this year. Best of luck with your training! I&... read more

Thanks Dawn, I may be coming to you for advice as I start upping my distance!

posted about 2 years ago

• I support you in spirit, though very far away from you, but, my dear, come on.

There is a online store hot selling Nike Free 3.0 v3.
    http://www.likerunningshoes.com/nike-free-shoes/mens-nike-free-shoes/nike-free-3-0-v3.html

posted about 2 years ago

• Great goal Anna! I too am training for a half this fall. FR sent; we can motivate each other!

posted about 2 years ago

• Hi Anna,
    I'm training for my first half this October as well. I've just joined DM and think its great for motivation as none of my friends are into running at all so my running buddies are all online. FR sent.

posted about 2 years ago

• Hi Anna. I just started training for my first half marathon last week. I never imagined that I would run a half but after running a couple of 10k's this year I've decided to go for it! I joined a local running club to help motivate me and give me some ideas for training and so far it's been a lot of fun (mind you... it's only been 10 days ;)).

Good luck with your training. FR sent.

posted about 2 years ago

• Welcome to DM Anna, you have come to the right spot to find friends to help you along the way :-)

posted about 2 years ago

• Welcome & FR sent! I ran my first half race at the beginning of the month. Now I'm training for a full.

posted about 2 years ago

• Welcome to DM. FR sent.

posted about 2 years ago

• Hi Anna and good luck with your first half marathon. I am a long time runner but just beginning to use DM. Glad to help you along with motivation and encouragement.

posted about 2 years ago