Forums/

Newbies

Couch to 5K???

posted over 2 years ago | Report

I am just starting to try and get back in some shape. I walk my dog daily and just started tracking my walks (when I remember to take my phone).
I want to start to run. Has anyone done the couch to 5K or know of any good programs for a beginner runner?
I could use a few friends to help me get through this too if you are interested.
Thanks.
Todd

18 posts

scroll to bottom
  • Hal Higdons programs at Halhigdon.com is good.Several from beginner to advanced. If you have any questions someone one this site can help you. FR sent

posted over 2 years ago

• i used couch to 5k to get into running about 5 years ago...i loved the program and i think it can work for anyone. good luck!

posted over 2 years ago

• Hey Todd - c25k is awesome - you will find LOTS of people here on DM that started with the c25k program - including myself! DO IT! Be patient, don't get too greedy - you already walk everyday so you should be good to start. Pick and date and go!

Friend request sent and I'll help in anyway I can!

posted over 2 years ago

• Todd,

I used Couch to 5K to get me started last year. Its a great program to ease you into the challenges and rigors of running. Take your time, don't worry about going fast at first, just listen to your body and let it get used to the stresses that running brings. Soon enough you'll be ready to do it more and more.

I'll be happy to help out any way I can.

posted over 2 years ago

• I've never tried to Couch to 5K but know a few people who've done it and succeeded. Good luck. FR sent.

posted over 2 years ago

• I am doing the C25K from cool runnings. I am doing the treadmill version. On Week 3, day 2 right now and I think it is a great program.

Would love to have a friend for motivation/support.

posted over 2 years ago

• Heyya, welcome to the Dailymile:) Actually a friend of mine is totally doing a C25K plan herself as we get ready to run a 5K. She's been following this plan http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml which seems to be working very well and it sounds like a lot of others who have followed it have had great experiences too. I sent you a friend request since I am new to this site, as of this past month, and I am just beginning running myself, though am not following a specific plan currently. Good luck!

posted over 2 years ago | edited over 2 years ago

• Jan
    Jan Sendmail

I started on a run/walk program similar to C25k and I think its a great way to get into running with less chance for injury. Dive in and keep us posted on how its going! And don't be afraid to repeat a week if that seems best. Sending FR.

posted over 2 years ago

• Im currently trying to help my friend follow a similar walk to run program. She is doing her second 5k this saturday, although we have to take several walk breaks. Good luck on your program. FR sent.

posted over 2 years ago

• Welcome to DM. As the others have said, there are quite a few who have done a C25K. FR sent=)

posted over 2 years ago

• I started with Couch to 5k, it was great for me. I highly recommend it. There are lots of great programs out there, find a beginner program and stick to it. It can be tempted to skip ahead if you are feeling good, which may lead to injury or frustration. Good luck!!

posted over 2 years ago

• Todd
    Hello C25K does exactly what t says on the box, good luck FR sent hopefully we can encourage each other along.

posted over 2 years ago

• C25K worked for me. When I got to the week where I had to run 15 minutes without stopping I thought "there's no f***ing way I can do this". But do it I did and I'm now running 5K's without stopping. So glad I did this and you will be too.

Remember to be forgiving of yourself if you don't follow it exactly as it's laid out. Any effort is better than no effort.

posted over 2 years ago

• I did the C25K a year ago and if I can do it - anyone can. I have never been a runner and always hated it. While I still don't "love" it I enjoy the running high. I've done several 5K's and I'm gearing up for my first 10K in May. In October I will be running my first 1/2 marathon! It is a great program and designed to help you ease your way into it. Good Luck - you can do it!!

posted over 2 years ago

• I'm a c25k graduate. I purchased several apps for my iPhone before settling on one called "Get Running". The "British Lady" is motivating, and I miss her now that I'm not doing it.

posted over 2 years ago

• I am doing the couch to 5k now. I ran about a year ago and didn't use it, but this time around I'm giving it a go. I'll be starting my 4th week on Sunday. So far so good! I have the app on my phone from active.com.
    Good luck!

posted over 2 years ago

• I did the couch to 5K when I started running 2 years ago, and it worked really well for me. I think the way the amount of running time increases so gradually was great at preventing injury. Since then I've done several 5Ks and 10Ks and will be doing my first half marathon in April.

posted over 2 years ago

• Congrats on getting into shape! FR sent.

posted over 2 years ago