Answers/

Newbies

What are good foods to eat after a run?

asked over 4 years ago | Report

I'm also working on losing weight. Thanks! :)

6 answers

scroll to bottom
  • honestly good old peanut butter and jelly is very good! a good whole wheat bread, real jelly or jam and lower sodium peanut butter, or even almond butter.... you basically wanna supply your body with some protien and carbs and water. i like to eat pasta after i bike, with the whole wheat pasta or egg noodles. or grilled chicken with sweet potato and then either some asparagus or some spinach.. basically anything with a good protien/carb ratio. i also like to make tuna stuffed tomatoes, its very simple and good!

answered over 4 years ago |Report

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I have to agree on the PB&J. Easy to make, quick, and does not ruin your dinner. I like chocolate milk (sugar free) if your stomach can handle it. Otherwise getting SOMETHING in your body with protein so the muscles can recoup is the key.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • Chocolate Milk and a banana, Clif bar, granola bar... you want protein and carbs with a little fat.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I opt for a milk shake (soy or cow, depending on what's stocked) with a scoop of protein powder (milk doesn't offer much protein in itself). I also add fresh or frozen berries, a tablespoon of honey and olive oil each.

Sometimes a clif bar, or a bowl of oatmeal with cinnamon, nutmeg, honey, almonds, and a sliced up banana.

After either of those post-workout meals I feel great the next day; compared to not eating something nutritious enough I feel very sore the next day.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • Right after a run, your body will recover better if it gets something easy to digest. Liquid form is the best- so there are specific recovery drinks formulated for after runs. However- it probably only makes a recovery performance difference if you've seriously depleted your glycogen stores. Right after- I'd think more about hydration and electrolyte replacement than food. But if you are going to eat something, just 200 calories should do it. The aforementioned banana, cliff bar, energy drink is a good start. As was said- the optimal is an easy to digest carb with some protein (30%) and no fat.

answered about 4 years ago |Report

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • If you're depleting your glycogen stores (sprints, intervals, speed work, fartleks, etc) then definitely have a recovery drink (or chocolate milk which has a similar balance of protein/carbs/fat). This has a dramatic effect on muscle building.

answered about 4 years ago |Report

thumbs up
      thumbs down

Similar Questions in General - Newbies