Answers/

Injury

My doctor says I have fluid in my knees or Bursitis, any suggestions?

asked almost 6 years ago | Report

I have an appointment to go see an orthodontis in 2 weeks. My doctor believes the only solution will be for me to stop running and anti inflamatories. Stop running is not a solution for me. I am wondering if there are other options out there that i can try.
I have already tried resting the knee for long periods of time, like months. Currently, if I run for one or two times a week I end up limping around for a week.
Please help.

13 answers

scroll to bottom
  • Well, I'm certainly no doctor, but...

I think he's likely right, at least for the time being. Fluid in the knee is a very very bad sign... Your knee fills with fluid in an attempt to lubricate and protect the joint. The protective cartilage in your knee is likely damaged or missing. Continuing to run will only lead to worsening injury and can ultimately lead to serious disability. The fact that you have already taken lengthy breaks and still have problems would seem to indicate something chronic. Well not running may not seem like a possibility, I say you likely run the risk of being PERMANENTLY sidelined if you insist on running with fluid.

Perhaps you will be a good candidate to get scoped... Who knows! Good luck with it... Maybe they can quickly and easily find the problem and get you fixed up!

answered almost 6 years ago |Report

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • Ok two things...

1. Unless the fluid in your knee has caused a massive overbite I think you want to go see an orthopedic instead. (All in good fun).

2. Chaz is right. The number one thing a runner doesn't want to hear is stop running but if you don't stop for a while you may never again. Take a look at numerous posts abotu injuries. Eveybody needs to stop running. I did for my heel pain, shins and hanstring bursitis but I knew that was the best action to take andnow I am back to 100%. You'll get through it and getting back into your groove when you are through is easy. That's what were here for.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • acupuncture.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • i would see a chiropractor and/or an acupuncturist

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • Change the way you run. Your pounding your joints to pieces. See the links along the right side of my blog page for more help at www.erskien.blogspot.com

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I used to have that also, I researched it and found out that raising your legs when you sleep so the fluid will go down. I did it for a month, and now I'm back running...

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • Symptom management is not a cure! A cure is a cure! If all you want to do is turn the fire alarm off do what they did. Just understand the fire will still be burning and it will spread.
    For a perminant solution you must think outside the "Toe Box" :o)
    www.erskien.blogspot.com

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • It helps if your doctor is a runner or at least an active sport participant.

answered over 5 years ago |Report

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I had fluid in my knee a while back when I was younger and I was slightly clumsier than I am now. I often would hit my knee from falling and I played basketball (where I fell a lot and had a lot of collisions). My doctor sent me to another doctor who decided it would be best to take a rest from basketball for a while. I was not pleased. I took a break but it wasn't that long. A few weeks. And then I saw another doctor who took a HUGE needle and sucked out the fluid in my knee. I also remember wearing some kind of support for my knee.
    Now I'm fine and my knee doesn't bother me at all *knock on wood*
    I suggest you see others for second opinions. My friend had a knee problem and it was misdiagnosed several times. What she really needed was major surgery on her knee, this was ignored by several doctors.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • Well, I know if running is your passion, there's no substitution for it, but what if you work on strengthening the muscles in your legs that support your knees and try doing some work outs at the gym on a non impact machine, like an elliptical or a variant, and then try running on a treadmill, which has less of an impact on the knees, and see how that feels?

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I noticed some fluid in my right knee after running - that knee's been bad since I busted in on my 24th birthday at the City Museum in St. Louis.

Long story short, I went out and bought a knee brace thingie that seems to take some of the pressure off my knee and I didn't notice fluid last time I ran.

I'm sure yours is more serious, but trying couldn't hurt, could it?

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • They answered this on the show "The Dr's" although it's probably not cheap and if you're afraid of needles it'd suck-- it's an option, they had someone with fluid in their knees on the show and had an orthodontis there who used a long needle and injected it directly into the fluid and then sucked it all out with the needle. They had an xray on the knees too so you could see the fluid leaving. Really gross but it's an option outside of getting knee surgery.

ALSO -- When a dr. tells you there is no other solution, you should do research and get a second opinion from another dr. because often times there is a solution, the dr. is just too lazy to figure it out.

answered over 5 years ago |edited over 5 years ago |Report

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • Its very possible to have fluid in the knees with no structural damage. My ortho told me he was 80% that I had a meniscus tear with my fluid and I got a MRI and it turned out to just be bursitis. I twisted my knee skiing a month ago so I feel very lucky. Now I'm icing it and doing some cycling at the gym with no running. I'm not sure how long it is suppose to take to resolve. I read about the fluid draining thing, is this common? Is it more for people that are over eager to return to their sport? Hoping for the least amount of invasive options to take care of this.

answered over 3 years ago |Report

thumbs up
      thumbs down

Similar Questions in Health & Fitness - Injury