Answers/

Injury

Pain on inside of ankle?

asked over 3 years ago | Report

Over the last two weeks I've oticed some intense pain on the inside of my ankles esp at the beginning of the run. Usually seems to feel better once I keep going. However, yesterday I took a rest day and it seemed so painful to just walk down stairs...what could be going on? Should I see a doctor yet??

5 answers

scroll to bottom
  • A few things could be wrong. Have you been running on the snow or uneven terrain? That would cause some overuse in the ligaments and tendons in your foot. If so, I would ice them down 3 or 4 times a day for about 10-15 minutes and don't run until the pain is gone. You may have tendonitis somewhere in there. Ibuprofen helps too. Also, you may want to get some new shoes. Your wear pattern on your shoe may be uneven causing your foot to angle towards the inside which puts more stress on the ligaments and tendons in your ankle. If it doesn't go away in about two weeks or so, I would go to the doctor.

answered over 3 years ago |Report

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • Andrea,
    I'm training for the Disney Marathon. I have been having the same problem with the right ankle since October. I took a week off but it came back after two miles in. Saw a doctor who instructed me to take another three weeks off. Same thing happened. Headed in for PT, stim and ultrasound seem to be helping. I'm pushing through training but it still feels like a have a bruise. It's not as intense as it was but I can still feel it, and like you described sometimes it gets better after a few miles. I use heat before I run and ice about three times a day. I plan to really rehab it after the event. I registered for Ironman 70.3 Syracuse in September of 2011 and want to be in top shape for that. Good luck, let me know how it turns out.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • i don't know if it's the same thing but you could be pronating your feet. I pronated my feet really bad and had some trouble walking after i rested. I got some inserts from the Good Feet Store. They have helped so far but it's taking a while for my feet to get use to the inserts. Hope you find out what's wrong!

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • If the pain hasn't gone away yet, you might want to go to a sports medicine doc and get checked for Post Tibial Tendonitis. It's a tendon that runs down the lower inside of your leg and hooks up above the arch in your foot. It's an overuse injury due to over-pronation and if the tendon ruptures your arch can collapse you'll need surgery. The good news is that with proper rehab and orthotics from your doctor you can completely recover. The bad news is it's not a super quick heal and you may have to stop running for a few weeks. Better to get it checked though than keep running and risk a rupture. Oh, if it does turn out to be Post Tib Tendonitis I recommend making sure you don't overstride by landing on your midfoot when you run (heal striking = tendon stress). Good luck!

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I have had this similar pain over the last two weeks. It would hurt after I ran, during the walk home, then for most of the day. This week it began to hurt during running, so I went to see the physical therapist. She checked out the foot and said it was this muscle that runs down the leg and hooks over the arch as Kate O above says.
    She massaged the foot and then my leg and as she did that an explosion of pain went off at the muscle there! She also used the laser pen thing on the foot and it felt good afterwards. She told me it was okay to run, but stop if I felt pain, which I did 10mins in this morning. I go back on Monday, for another check up.
    Right now I am in agony, so I don't think I will be running tomorrow! This is what I found about the injury she said I have. http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/cybertherapist/front/ankle/tibialis-posterior-tendinopathy.htm
    Also, to ice the foot after running and to make sure you are warming up correctly.
    Best of luck :)

thumbs up
      thumbs down

Similar Questions in Health & Fitness - Injury