Answers/

Injury

How do I tell if I have a metatarsal stress fracture or tendinitis?

asked almost 4 years ago | Report

I was on a long run (10 miler) yesterday and midway through the run I felt some pain on the top of my right foot, I stopped and stretched it and continued running. The pain continued so I decided to walk the rest of the way. The pain subsided while I was walking. After my run the pain returned. I iced it and took anti-inflammatories. I am scared it is a stress fracture. How can I tell if it is a metatarsal stress fracture or tendinitis?

7 answers

scroll to bottom
  • You'll have to go to the Dr.

answered almost 4 years ago |Report

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • how was is it now? does the pain continue especially when you wak eup?

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • i had a metatarsal stress fracture and they said the only way you can really tell is by xray. I had the same symptoms as far as hurting when I ran and I was icing it, etc. They said you get these when you increase mileage fast, run more intensely and your shoes are worn...all of these fit me. I'm trying to remember how the doctor was able to tell....besides the xray....I think he kind of pressed on the top of my metatarsal and pulled it and it hurt and I had to stay off of it (well I biked and swam, but no running) for about six weeks.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • One way to check is to squeeze your foot with both hands between your toes and heel (like you're strangling your foot). Tendinitis shouldn't be bothered much by this but should hurt a lot if there is a stress fracture present.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • The doc found mine with a tuning fork, and when its found you know it!

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • go to the doctor as opposed to these internet doctors.. lol
    Seriously tho get to your doc and get an x-ray.safest way there.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • yep, doc is the real answer. if you flex your toes toward you, you might feel some pain if you have tendonitis. a stress fracture feels more like a bruise if you're pressing on the area from the top of the foot. when you see the doc, he/she will order an x-ray but will disclose that an x-ray only picks up a stress fracture once the fracture has started to heal. if the doc wants to really be sure, they'll send you for an mri. anti-inflammatories may dull the pain, but they actually hinder the healing process for stress fractures. unfortunately, 6 weeks down time is average for non-severe metatarsal fractures. i've been there myself, and i hope you heal well!

thumbs up
      thumbs down

Similar Questions in Health & Fitness - Injury