Answers/

Injury

Pain on the top of my foot

asked about 4 years ago | Report

I'm been having some pain on the top of my foot after running. The spot is located at the highest spot on the top of my foot. By highest I mean, directly above the arch of my foot. Mild discomfort to walk and sore when I bend my toes upward. It's only on my left foot. I have insoles and a little arch support pads stuck to the insoles. It doesn't prevent me from running but it hurts all day after I run. I don't have my shoes tied all that tight. The guys at the running shoe store said it's from my foot flattening out. Is it time to get custom insoles? See a doctor? Stop running?

Thanks...

Brad

5 answers

scroll to bottom
  • I don't buy the feet flattening out claim. I started running better only when I threw out my custom orthotics, so could not recommend that either.

As you have posted this as a Question instead of a Discussion, there won't be room for you to respond to these, but I would be curious about your foot strike style, the shoes you are running in, and you history of running (i.e. how long).

If it was me, I would start by taking out the insoles for the next run and seeing how that feels. Carry them if you need to in case you determine early that that is making things worse.

answered about 4 years ago |Report

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I had similar problems before. Lacing the shoes on the side works for me. Try experimenting using the following guides: http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-267--12334-0,00.html

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I had the same thing recently, started after running, but then started getting it mid-run too. Trawled the internet and the most logical explanation I found was relating to straining/over stretching ligaments in the foot running up from the big toe, with them tightening up after running, getting inflamed and becoming painful. I've spent a week or so doing loads of foot stretches, curling and then stretching my toes, and added some stair lifts/drops to my warm downs, and the pain has pretty much disapeared. Given that a bit of stretching is easy, I'd give that a go before you go doing anything too drastic:)

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I had what sounds to be VERY similar to what you are experiencing a few months ago. I had no pain at all until the day after a 10 mile run. I woke up that next morning with some severe pain on the top of my right foot. Couldn't pinpoint anything specifically I had done to it. I ran on it a few days later. It felt fine to run, but anything other than running and it HURT!!! I went to the sports med dr thinking it was a stress fracutre and was freaking out! I ended up having an MRI done and it was ruled to be tendonitis in the top of my foot. Said it was mostly likely caused (inflammation) was old running shoes. I ctually had new shoes sitting at home but was getting ready for a half marathon and didn't want to change to new ones the week before the half. I took 12 days off of running (basically b/c I thought it was a stress fracture and was waiting to get the MRI done), then they said it was tendonitis. But this point, it was like 97% better...I ran the half marathon the very next day...LOL!!! It's 100% better now, after taking some time off to rest it. I got into my new shoes and it's been fine since! Good luck!

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I do laugh sometimes when I read people going on about changing your running shoes. It is never your running shoes. It is always how you run. Rest it and then run when the pain is gone. Simple

answered over 1 year ago |Report

thumbs up
      thumbs down

Similar Questions in Health & Fitness - Injury