Answers/

Injury

Dull ache in front of lower leg.

asked over 4 years ago | Report

I've just begun running in the past few weeks. I'm currently running 3 miles, 3 times a week. While I run, I feel no pain in my legs. But for the past 3 days, beginning a day after my last run, I've had a dull ache in the front of my lower left leg. The pain feels deep, and is slightly on the outside of my leg, but near my shin.

I know shin splints are common with new runners, but I am not sure my symptoms sound much like them. Does anyone have any advice for me? I feel okay to start up running again, as it hurts most when I'm just sitting around, but I would hate to make it worse.

Thanks for reading and any advice you may have, I appreciate it!

1 answer

scroll to bottom
  • ouch! I would start ice massaging it. Get a small plastic cup and fill with water and freeze and then pop it out and hold it with a towel and run it up and down the front of your leg where it hurts for about 10 mins. Make sure you stretch your calf muscles and massage them too. Shin splints can be caused from tight calf muscles. I would also invest in The Stick and/or a foam roller - you can find them in running stores. They are well worth the money!!

I had a similar injury ... mine ended up being a stress fracture and I was unable to run for 3 months :(

Good luck!

answered over 4 years ago |Report

thumbs up
      thumbs down

Similar Questions in Health & Fitness - Injury