Answers/

Injury

Relief from Achilles Tendonitis

asked almost 2 years ago | Report

Anyone have any tips? I ran a marathon in June of 2010 and developed tendonitis. I couldn't run last year. Saw a physical therapist who gave me toe lift exercises to do... I've recovered about 70%. Occasionally I still get pain, advil helps.

Can anyone recommend any other exercise, brace, magical cure?

5 answers

scroll to bottom
  • I don't have a great answer... perhaps... but I have been mixing biking in and that seems to help my achilles loosen up. So I ran 8 yesterday, the did 12 spinning today... legs feel much better... it does not have to be a hard workout, but it seems to help when I do some kind of workout almost each day... I also do cool downs of .5-1mile after runs and bikes to let the blood return from the legs to the rest of the body... mine is still sore some days, but it has not stopped me yet! Oh - and after anything longer runs, I ice my feet and legs - up to my calf... that has helped too!

answered almost 2 years ago |edited almost 2 years ago |Report

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • Achilles is a tough one. Sounds like you are doing the right things. Take a hard look at your water intake and make sure you are getting enough or even more and avoid caffine and alcohol. I know most runners do ice and cold baths, but I think there is a better way. Try Epsom salt soaks. I do them after every serious training run, and use hot water. It is not just a wives tale either, there is some science behind it. The salt is an anti-inflamatory and actually moves through your skin into the connective tissue.

answered almost 2 years ago |Report

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • Ugh. AT is a tough one which I've been dealing with all my life. I had a good year last year and was able to rack up the miles enough for a BQ in January, but that killed mine. I pretty much haven't run in over a month and it's still not ready. Cycling doesn't hurt it, as much.

the standard treatments: Stretching, rolling, Eccentric Heel Drops (look them up on youtube), Active Release Therapy, more stretching. Advil helps the pain- but it won't help it heal. I've got the CEP sock for AT... hasn't seem to have helped much yet. I find that heat helps more than ice for me. If I do ice, I finish it off with heat.

For most runners- it's not Tendonitis (inflammation) but rather Tendonosis (degradation). Keep it moving, warm, blood flow, stretched. good luck

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • Try DMSO. It''s a by product of the wood pulp industry. I have dodgy knees. Rub this on and pain gone. Look it up on Google and see how you do. Good luck.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • For mine last year, I used KT Tape. It worked great. Because it is a tendon, it has poor blood flow. Warming the AT before activity and stretching promotes blood flow to the tendon. Like Morey said, heel drops, the yoga pose "downward dog" alternating pushing the left heel to the ground while bending the right knee slightly, then switch for the other leg. These helped me get back on the road. Good luck!

thumbs up
      thumbs down

Similar Questions in Health & Fitness - Injury