Answers/

Injury

Knee Pain When Going Down Stairs

asked about 3 years ago | Report

Hi Everyone,

I recently upped my workouts after a month long rest. For some odd reason, my right knee hurts in the front when going DOWN steps. Up is not a problem, and the pain is right in the front. I think it's the bend/extension that is killing me.

Has anyone else experienced this? Any tips?

Thanks in advance,

Lauren

5 answers

scroll to bottom
  • rest ice and anti-inflammatories usually help the little stuff if that doesn't help it may be more serious

here's an internet article that may help
    http://www.runnersworld.com/cda/toolscontent/0,7156,s6-241-290-291-6899-0,00.html?toolName=What Hurts?

answered about 3 years ago |Report

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I have had that problem with both knees in the past. (got to the point where I could barely walk for 1 year) For me it was a tracking issue caused by tight/unbalanced quads. I stretch the top and outside of my legs and work the inside of my quads to avoid the muscle unbalance/tightness.I still have to stretch my quads on some mornings to avoid pain, but have no knee issues while running anymore. Hope this helps.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • Similar to Sheldon's answer, but I also had to strengthen my hamstrings to keep up with the strength my quads were getting from all the running.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • sounds like a stress fracture....at least that was the tell tale symptom when i had mine. they can be extremely minor though.....seriously a few days can heal it enough to run, but it might take up to 6 weeks. i thought mine was pretty bad, got a tad better and i ran again, and then i had to stop running for 4 weeks.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I have the same problem, I've been going to PT for it. They said its because some of my muscles in my leg are weak, they've been having me do squats, lunges, and stretching my hamstrings and calves.

thumbs up
      thumbs down

Similar Questions in Health & Fitness - Injury