Answers/

Injury

What has anyone done about their shin splints that have developed 3 weeks before a big event?

asked over 3 years ago | Report

Today is April 23rd and in 3 weeks I am hoping to participate in my first marathon. I planned to walk it. I have developed what I believe to be shin splints. Does anyone one have any experience with this pain and what I can do so I can still participate? Time is short and I am heart broke over it.

Donna Jayne

7 answers

scroll to bottom
  • When I suffered from them my coach had me freeze ice in little paper cups and massage my shin (I only got it in one) several times a day with the ice. You can rip the top part of the cup away as it melts and it gives you something easy to hold.

Stretching is also huge. If your calf muscles especially are tight then the muscles pulls on the front of your shins, which aggravates them. Make sure to keep your calves loose. Maybe even use a foam roller on them if you have it.

Are your shoes still okay? I get shin pain when my shoes are on the way out.

Can you switch to training on softer surfaces for awhile?

Really, you need to rest them for them to heal, and I am sure you don't want to hear that! I hate when people tell me that about injuries!

Good luck, and I hope the icing and stretching helps you out.

answered over 3 years ago |Report

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I use Kinesio tape (bought it from Amazon). I 'googled' how to tape shin splints with Kinesio tape and found a youtube video. I think it does a pretty good job.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • Check your shoes
    And do the Cup+Ice thing that was said above
    Usually caused by calf inflexibility or weakness. First do light jogging and extensive calf stretching ankle rotations. If that doesnt work try toe raises.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • Knock on wood - shin splints are one of the few problems I have not had. If you're a heel-striker when you run, maybe try forefoot landings instead - on the balls of your feet. I think most cases of shin splints are due to heel striking which leads to overuse of the anterior tibialis as it lowers the front of your foot to the ground. If this muscle didn't work, your feet would slap on the ground right after heel strike. Forefoot landing puts force on larger gastroc/soleus muscles in back of calf and leaves your anterior tib with the easier job of holding your forefoot up as you swing your leg. You might need to get a lower-heel or zero drop shoe to pull it off. Good luck!

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I was suffering from shin splints. I purchased compression socks...CEP brand I believe which have helped a lot.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I get them from time to time esp running on streets,etc. Anyhow what I use is probably what everyone else reccomends, Heat/ice packs on your shins. Then I also use a biofreeze if I have it, it numbs the nerves a little. The last tip is for my half marathon in March, I used a KT Tape. Its used to prop up your muscles. You wrap around joints, etc. This saved my shins and I honestly didn't have a problem during my race. You can buy at most sporting good places, like Dunhams, etc it's about $13 a roll, but well worth the price. It has instructions on how to tape up your legs to ease shin splints, plus you can use on ur back or anywhere that might be causing pain. Hope this helps?? And good luck w the marathon! :D

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • Same thing most people here have said:
    Ice massage
    Stretch
    Tape

Also try toe raises to help build the calf muscle. Just make sure you don't do them before a run and stretch afterward.

If you think your gait may be the problem, don't try to correct it without first consulting your sports medicine doctor or a physical therapist. Forcing your body into another gait could cause more problems for you later.

thumbs up
      thumbs down

Similar Questions in Health & Fitness - Injury