Answers/

General Triathlon

Why not swim the 1/2 Iron Race Distance Plus evey week except light weeks?

asked over 3 years ago | Report

I've seen many training plans advise to not swim the race distance every week. Why not? I am training each sport 2 times a week due to time restrictions. I lighten up every 4th week. Thanks for input!

4 answers

scroll to bottom
  • 1/2 Iron Race distance is only 2100 yards, which is a pretty typical swim workout distance. So, I'm not sure why a plan would say that. One hour masters classes usually cover 2800-3200 yards and lots of people do those 5 days a week. I think it's more a matter of building up your technique and abilities -- once you are comfortable there's no reason not to swim more than that distance in every workout.

answered over 3 years ago |Report

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • The swim is the 1 activity were you can push a little harder. Most Triathletes will cover at least the race distance in every session. Recovery is relatively quick and it's a lot easier on the body than the equivalent run/bike.
    It does depend on where you are currently at with your swimming. You may need to build up to the distance over time but there is definately nothing wrong with going overdistance in your swim sessions.
    I coach an ironman swim group and their min set over winter was 3.8k with a couple of long (5k) sets thrown in when the weather was too bad to train outdoors.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • My training plan the first few weeks is less..but after the 4th week all swim workouts are at least the 1 mile distance if not longer. Sometimes I have to cut it short but my plan from 4 weeks on is over the amount at each session. Swimming for me is an area I can go longer and not fatigue myself or have injuries.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I add 40% to the distances of my actual training programs. I have an article where it says you will actually swim 40% longer than the actual 1.2miles (2112yds) due to lack of siting and veering off course

if you pm me and I can get your email I will send it to you.

thumbs up
      thumbs down

Similar Questions in Triathlon - General Triathlon