Answers/

General Triathlon

What is the best heart rate monitor for women?

asked over 7 years ago | Report

I am training for my first triathlon, and would like to invest in a heart rate monitor. I have used my boyfriend's Suunto, and like it's functionality, but would prefer something less bulky and a little more budget friendly. Any suggestions?

6 answers

scroll to bottom
  • Is the watch bulky or the strap?

I have the basic Polar model that has a decent sized watch and the chest strap (while it takes a little getting used to) is not bad at all.

answered over 7 years ago |Report

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I have the Timex Ironman Road Trainer - http://www.rei.com/product/778139

I really like it. It just an HRM and with a timer/stopwatch function. It's simple enough. I've seen them online for as low as $80. One bonus about the Timex HRM's is that you can change the battery yourself. I believe with some Garmin's you have to send them in.

answered over 7 years ago |edited over 7 years ago |Report

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I've owned Polar, Timex, and now a Garmin over the last 15 years.
    You can get a "basic" Polar for less than $50 these days. One nice feature is, 90% of healthclub machines (treadmills, bikes, elips) will display your HR on the screen from a Polar (not with Nike or Garmin)

You can now get the Garmin 301, which is GPS and HR for under $150. For Tri-training, you really can't beat this. I've owned mine for over 4 years. It has Run, Bike, and "Other/swim" sports functions built into it, and "Multi-sport" which allows you to do tri's and it will change from swim mode, to bike (mph), to run (min/mile) functions -and- capture your T1/T2 times. Each sport selection has 3 basic screens which each display 3 boxes of data IE: Lap Speed, Avg Lap HR, Lap Distance; and you can custom select from about 20 options on a 4th screen for each sport. Current HR is displayed in the corner on all screens. You can run it on "auto-lap", at set distances IE 1 mile. When you've gone a mile, you get an audible beep, the screen displays the lap time. At night the screen lights up for a few moments so you can see the split time.
    Finally, it comes with CD software and USB which allows you to upload to computer and graph 4 data sets per workout such as: Pace, HR, Elevation, % HRMax against distance or time.

Garmin's recharge and run for 8-13 hours (watch). Chest strap uses CR2032 (basic device hockey-puck shaped battery), and switch out easily. I don't remember what the "book" says, but I get 6-8 months per chest-strap battery, and I'm training an average of 8-10 hours per week.

If the chest strap is uncomfortable or won't pickup you can wear them back-wards. strap in front, and sensor on your back. This also turns out to be a good technic when cycling in cooler weather, since the contacts need to stay moist for a good signal, and the wind-chill can reduce "front" sweating to nothing.

answered over 7 years ago |edited over 7 years ago |Report

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I agree with Jess T. I use a Timex now and it works well. It's not specific for a woman, but all of them can be programed. I would never go with a Garmin for heart rate. Going with a a Garmin is great for distance and time, but the calorie calculation on the Garmin is just made up numbers ( I can go into more details if you want). I would go with a normal Timex HR monitor and if you want a garmin go with both. I wear my HR monitor and I feel like it feels like what a woman wearing a sports bra would feel like. (As I guess. Clearly minus anything else, I just mean the strap) I don't feel it at this point. But good luck on your tri, which one are you doing?

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I use a Polar F6 for all my training. I've had mine for the past year and a half and can't imagine a workout without using it. It comes in all sorts of colors including green, pink, black etc. They run between $80-100 depending on where you get it. It helps track your heart rate, calories burned, etc.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I had a Polar and loved it...now I have the Garmin 405 and love it too (but it's more $$)

thumbs up
      thumbs down

Similar Questions in Triathlon - General Triathlon