Answers/

General Triathlon

Sprint Tri - Regular or cycling (padded) shorts?

asked over 2 years ago | Report

So within the last hour or so I've decided to participate in a triathlon tomorrow. Not much time to train huh? It's okay, my goal is to complete, not compete.

I do have one question though. Do I do the triathlon in regular loose fitting shorts or my padded cycling shorts?

6 answers

scroll to bottom
  • I wouldn't ride in loose shorts.

I'm also not sure if I'd run in thick padded cycling shorts.

Cycling shorts will also absorb water, so even if you can run in them, you'll chafe up bad.....

I'd grab tri shorts, or plan on changing in transition, if you're comfortable running in your cycling shorts. ( Or try grabbing compression shorts to change into for the bike/run )

answered over 2 years ago |Report

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • Depends on your bike shorts. If they're like my LG's, I've ran 5k in them no problem. If they're like my Sugoi RPM S100's, no bad idea.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • Don't wear cycling shorts to swim. It'll feel like a diaper.

Do you have normal compression shorts with zero padding? They work great.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • +1 most cycling shorts will feel like a soggy diaper on the run and will cause chaffing in a bad bad way. you might get lucky with your cycling shorts but would try it out in practice first. I vote doing it in your swimsuit. jammers might be best option.

most triathlons have a rule against changing in transition (it's a family friendly event and don't want you nekkid in the middle of it) unless they have a changing room for you.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I see some responses below that don't correspond to my experience at all so I'm going to tell you what works for me. Go online to any triathete store and purchase Zoot or 2XU tri shorts. They have a small amt. of padding in the shorts that are sleek enough to do all three events in. I wear the 2XU shorts and I love them. I should say, some of the bike shorts might be too big if you wear a wet suit so make sure you try them way ahead of time incase they need to be returned.

NO changing in transition! Don't do it. Takes wayyyyyyy tooooooo looooonnnnggggg.

Good luck!

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • If you have time to purchase tri shorts - those are the best. They are cycling shorts, but you can swim in them and they don't do the soggy diaper thing -- very light shammy - enough to protect your bottom on the bike, but not enough to make you waddle when you run :-)... and they dry really fast.

thumbs up
      thumbs down

Similar Questions in Triathlon - General Triathlon