Forums/

General Running

User_avatar Deleted User

Water retention after long runs?

posted over 4 years ago | Report

Not sure if this is water retention, but after long runs, I always gain a few pounds, usually normalizes in day or two. I am really good with hydration, drink electrolytes during and after my long runs. Anybody else have this problem. I really don't think I'm overhydrating either.

13 posts

scroll to bottom
  • I usually retain water after running. My fingers swell up too. Don't know what it is and can't seem to get a good answer from anyone. I've asked doctors, exercise physiologists, etc. I just deal with it and drink plenty of water. It usually goes away fairly quickly. I notice it the most in my hands.

    posted over 4 years ago

  • Yep - pretty common for me. I find water retention is common any time that I increase my carbs for longer workouts - the body needs the extra water to process the extra carbs so it's less likely to dump it like it would if you are on your regular diet...usually a day to two after everything seems to even out.

    posted over 4 years ago

  • Water retention is also associated with delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS). When you work your muscles hard, they suffer microdamage, which leads to swelling, and ultimately increases in strength as they begin to repair themselves. This can cause you to gain water weight after your tougher workouts. I also agree with what Matt says about carbs and water retention. So nothing to worry about - it's all in the name of getting stronger!

    posted over 4 years ago

  • Thanks! I'm not worried about it, I just want to know why..it is sort of annoying however after burning 1500 calories to get on the scale the next day and be 2 pounds heavier. Thanks for the info, I appreciate it!

    posted over 4 years ago

  • This was always true for me as well. In fact the time I did the 3 1/2 in 42 days I had to put away the scale. I would literally gain 5 pounds. However I did go down a size in jeans so something was working out :)

    posted over 4 years ago

  • WOW!! This will explain my frustration with "Friday Morning Weigh-Ins" as my long runs are always on Thursdays! And, I was always a pound or 2 heavier than I expected! How frustrating to run 25-30 miles in one week and GAIN weight!!! Thank you for posting this!

    posted over 4 years ago

  • in reply to what Adina said:WOW!! This will explain my frustration with "Friday Morning Weigh-Ins" as my long runs are always on Thursdays! And, I was always a pound or 2 heavier than I expected! How frustrating to run 25-30 miles in one week and GAIN weight!!! ... read more

    I don't understand peoples obsession to weight gain/loss when it's only in increments of 1-5lbs. Most of the weight is only water weight anyway. This is why people dramatically lose 10lbs when they get hit with the flu and experience some dehydration. It would be more reasonable to keep track of body fat percentage and body composition, over a period of weeks, as opposed to random weight within a few days.

    posted over 4 years ago | edited over 4 years ago

  • in reply to what Jules C. said:I don't understand peoples obsession to weight gain/loss when it's only in increments of 1-5lbs. Most of the weight is only water weight anyway. This is why people dramatically lose 10lbs when they get hit with the flu and experience som... read more

    Oh, I know that, but we were having this "biggest loser" thing at our school...I suggested that next time, we do measurements too. That's over now, and I'm just focusing on how big my jeans are becoming...that's my measure of progress.

    posted over 4 years ago

  • in reply to what Adina said:Oh, I know that, but we were having this "biggest loser" thing at our school...I suggested that next time, we do measurements too. That's over now, and I'm just focusing on how big my jeans are becoming...that's my measur... read more

    Nice. Going down in pants size is a great progress marker. Now the tough part is determining when to buy those new pair of pants. I made the mistake of buying too early and now I have a couple pair of useless jeans that are 2 sizes too big.

    posted over 4 years ago | edited over 4 years ago

  • in reply to what Jules C. said:Nice. Going down in pants size is a great progress marker. Now the tough part is determining when to buy those new pair of pants. I made the mistake of buying too early and now I have a couple pair of useless jeans that are 2 sizes too big.

    Yep...I'm facing the same thing...I'll use a belt for now as a constant reminder! I think I'll reward myself with new jeans when I complete my first HM in May!

    posted over 4 years ago

  • Oh not concerned, but just wanted to know why. I know it's water, I like to have reasons behind things. Thanks for the discussion

    posted over 4 years ago

  • I was surprised about the water retention after long runs as well! After the marathon, I went up about 1-2 lbs the next day. Of course, it all went away the next day :)

    posted over 4 years ago

  • This from Karl King "The bloating is a combination of sodium depletion and the body's reaction to stress. Vasopressin is the hormone which causes most of the water retention. It clears from the bloodstream after a couple days and then the retained water filters back out. All of this is normal, and not a cause for concern." More sodium and electrolytes..... I'm "puffy" now - even FOUR days after my 20 miler :(

    posted over 2 years ago

Similar Discussions in Running - General Running