Forums/

General Running

I have blisters on the bottom of both my feet, and a race on Saturday!

posted about 5 years ago | Report

Any advice for healing blisters?
I have a race on Saturday, but these blisters kill me with every run. I've popped them, but new blisters form with each run.
Not sure if I should skip running the next two days to allow them to heal, or come up with a remedy.

Vaseline?
Duct tape?

Help!

12 posts

scroll to bottom
  • Ever since I bought a pair of injinji toe socks, I haven't had any blister problems. I had to order them on-line, but your local running store might carry them. Just an idea. Probably more of a long-term solution instead of short-term solution.

In the past, I used a band-aid as a short-term solution to a blister. It worked for me. Good luck with your race.

posted about 5 years ago

• So... if you have a race in two days then it's probably not a good idea to just up and wear different/ or new shoes than you've been used to right before you go racing.. unless you have some other ones that also work and are broken in. For now I would just tape it up and suck it up because your blisters are not gonna go away in two days.

My advice would be get new shoes and after you break them in the blisters will eventually subside if they are good enough shoes. I just started running a lot more hardcore this summer and I got tons of blisters the first month and a half of running maybe like 5 miles a day. After my running increased in miles my blisters subsided because my feet became used to the shoes and the skin grew tougher. I think reasons they get blisters is because of friction; which is made worse by heavy amounts of sweat that's not being wicked away. Your shoe might be too tight... should get shoes 1/2 size bigger than normal or just make sure it's not too tight and cutting into your feet and break those puppies in!

posted about 5 years ago | edited about 5 years ago

• Moleskin might help you get through the weekend. I also use latex tape if the blister is small enough, but I rarely ever get them.

This tape is good stuff (I use it on the nips for long runs):
    http://www.walgreens.com/store/product.jsp?CATID=100957&navAction=jump&navCount=1&nug=VPD&skuid=sku316177&id=prod16177

posted about 5 years ago

• I've had really good luck with these little blister pads

http://www.walgreens.com/store/product.jsp?CATID=100248&navAction=jump&navCount=1&nug=VPD&skuid=sku3931966&id=prod3933117

I use bandage tape on top of them, just to make sure they stay in place

posted about 5 years ago

• Get thee to a running store and get new socks with absorbent soles. I used to have the same problem on any run over 7 miles until I upgraded socks - currently using Thorlos thins, but there are other similar.

posted about 5 years ago

• Blisters heal best with fresh air. No badages, no creams, fresh air.
    Let them rest for a day or so. It'll bet better in thend than pushing yourself just for two days or so.
    Thousand Mile socks that is 1000 Mile socks the best thing since, well anything. Have suffered with blisters for years then bought these. No more bilsters. However having said that blisters on the bottom of your feet sounds like you need your shoes and feet looking at. They don't fit!Blisters form with heat formed by friction between the foot and the shoe. Get them looked at by someone who knows what they are doing. Insoles, better socks may help but if the shoes are too big...
    Take care, hope you get it sorted for the weekend.
    R

posted about 5 years ago

• Wear two socks.........trust me, I have not had a single blister since I started with this remedy. You can cover them will mole skill in the interim until they heal.

posted about 5 years ago

• in reply to what Mika said:Wear two socks.........trust me, I have not had a single blister since I started with this remedy. You can cover them will mole skill in the interim until they heal.

I can't imagine how much my feet would sweat with 2 pairs of socks on.

posted about 5 years ago

• Engo Blister Pads for your shoes- you put them where your hot spots are in the shoe, I've been using them for giant welts I had on the arches of my feet- they're genius.

you should also give the blisters time to heal- take a day off. probably won't harm you for the race anyway, you should rest before the race....

good luck! :)

posted about 5 years ago

• I'm with Mike L. The Injinji toe socks have prevented any blisters for me. I used to get them all the time, particularly between toes. No more!

posted about 5 years ago

• This topic reminded me of Run Fatboy Run........awesome movie..........ewwwy blister scene! LOL

posted about 5 years ago

• in reply to what Adam L. said:I can't imagine how much my feet would sweat with 2 pairs of socks on.

I have used nylon (panty hose type) knee highs under running socks when having blister problems with new shoes/increased training. Works wonders and not too hot. I just scrunch the tops down and cover them with the ankle part of the sock so I don't look like an idiot. Great for road marches in combat boots too!

posted about 5 years ago