Forums/

General Running

I Run Because...

posted almost 8 years ago | Report

When I run, I change up my mantra but it usually starts with "I run because..." Sometimes they are simple (I run because my body is made to challenge itself) and sometimes they are more complicated (I run because most people choose not too) etc.
I propose to people...what is your response to the "I run because"???

125 posts

scroll to bottom
  • I run because I want to increase my fitness and boost my health.

posted almost 8 years ago

• I run because I was told that I wouldn't stick with running, I run to prove to myself that I am strong, I run because I want my daughterto know that she can do anything she puts her mind to, I run becasue it hurts and feels great at the same time, I run because I love the wind in my face, I run because I'm crazy! lol

• I run because I can. One day I won't be able to but until then...

• I run because I want to get fit and have something within my control in this crazy world. I like the solitude, being able to be alone with my thoughts but distracted enough by the running to zone out into a soothing, white-noise filled mental landscape. The endorphin rush it provides is surely sweet as well.

I run because I can.

• I run coz I really feel the need to up my endurance. I also feel my upper body is stronger than lower and that's a cause for concern if you're a wannabe weekend warrior. Also, my BMI is 27% need to get it down, way down. And a host of other reasons why I run. Most of all I feel like, the more I challenge myself those last couple of minutes to beat my record, the more I feel I'm boosting my mental strength, and staying a step ahead of my senses.

• I run because: I can, I love to, It makes me feel good, It helps me unwind, It gives me a sense of accomplishment, I want to be a role model for my kids, I want to inspire others to be fit. I want to stay healthy and active for as long as I can.

• Because feel strong and like I am accomplishing something each and every time I finish.
    Because I can and will keep doing so until the day comes when I can't put one foot in front of the other even if it is slow enough to walk.
    Because it does wonders for my mental and physical healthy.
    Because I have made my best friends running and being part of my club.

• in reply to what Melanie N. said:I run because I was told that I wouldn't stick with running, I run to prove to myself that I am strong, I run because I want my daughterto know that she can do anything she puts her mind to, I run becasue it hurts and feels great at the same ... read more

Same here except for the children part. :)

• I run to continue to get healthy. I always wanted to be a runner but I was heavy my whole life. Doctor said I was diabetic and I knew it was because of my weight. Dieting alone never worked---running and diet did. I 've lost 61 pounds with another 9 to go. I now longer have the numbers to be considered diabetic....low blood sugar, low cholesterol, low triglycerides....I have fulfilled my wish to be a runner and have improved my chances for a healthier life...

• The biggest reason I run is because it's fun!

• I run because around that next corner is a hill I always suffer on, but today I will conquer it.
    I run because being outside in almost any weather is a gift from God which I plan to take full advantage of everyytime I can.
    I run because in a world of noise, its perfectly quiet.

But mostly I run because it keeps the voices in my head happy.

• http://www.dailymile.com/people/bfbirkel/entries/305792

posted almost 8 years ago | edited almost 8 years ago

• I run because my mom used to hit me with a wooden spoon and its now a reflex when I see her. Just Kidding (about the reason I run; not the wooden spoon). Love you Mom.

• Because I like wearing short shorts (just kidding). Gives me a sense of peace and acheivement.

• I run because it reduces my stress, I run because I want my legs to look good, I run because it helps me to escape from people who don't run (LOL), I run because its fun!

• ...It burns a lot of calories quickly!
    I need quick and to the point!

• Way to go Jo-Anna!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You are amazing. Congrats! Be Proud of yourself.

• I run because I want to set an example for my son.

• I run because I always have and always will love a good challenge. I guess maybe I didn't have enough adversity to overcome in my cushy suburban upbringing, so I have to make my own challenges and defeat them, haha. I'm a fighter.
    And I also like to escape into it. I am alone to organize my thoughts and separate myself from the more boring sedentary time (aka time spent on your ass) that encompasses school and work.

• I run because God has always given me the strength to do it, and the love for it. You have to at least like it a little bit or there would be no runners in this world.
    God Bless.... +

• I run to improve my fitness level, and I want to pass on the healthy habits to my daughter. And also b/c it's fun, each run has its comical experience. =)

• I run because it makes me feel capable of anything. I feel smarter when I run. Sometimes I imagine I am running with an entire army behind me, or going solo for a higher cause, and everyone is counting on me. Running allows me to create my own world, where I'm the hero.

• ...it's mine. My very own. My time, my sanity, and my own success (or failure, some days).

• I love this question!
    I run because running has changed my life, all for the better. I have met amazing people through running and the sense of community is incredible. I used to be afraid to try anything for fear that I would fail, running has changed that. It has taught me to to chase down my fears and chase after my dreams. Running has made me realize that if you put in the time and do the training, you WILL succeed which is an invaluble lesson to carry through life.

happy trails, friends!

• I run because it makes me feel GREAT!!!!

• in reply to what Paul I. said:I run because I can. One day I won't be able to but until then...

Nice!

I run because walking is too slow and cycling takes too long!!!! LOL

• I like this Melissa Etheridge song 'I Run For Life' that says:

"If you ask her why she is still running, she'll tell you it makes her complete."

Absolutely.

• in reply to what Tracey D. said:...it's mine. My very own. My time, my sanity, and my own success (or failure, some days).

That's exactly how I feel. It's MY time!

• I run because it's not easy. There is always another challenge, another hill, another mile, a faster mile. I run because people said I couldn't, I wouldn't and because quitting is as easy as sitting down. I run because the roads are always open and my gym, my friend's doors and my mind are not. I run because it's my story and I want it to be compelling. I run because it's just one more step, and I believe I can do that.

• "I run because....i owe it to my kids to be healthy, and make good considerate choices"

• I run because it has saved my life.

I am healthy, strong, and more mentally awake. I enjoy the challenge that each run brings and I like that even the worst run ever burns calories and makes me feel like I at least accomplished something.

I never saw myself as a runner until I became one, and I will never return to the "old" me. I am a new person, and I have running to thank for that.

• The exact words change for me everyday but it's usually something like: "I run because I'm willing to do whatever it takes to get where I want to be." I run and push myself to the point of crying almost everyday because I'm willing to push myself to physically and mentally accomplish things that I thought I would always be too afraid or lazy to do. I run because I want to prove something to myself that has meaning that no one can take away from me.

• I run because it is fun and rewarding knowing that after those tough races that i gave my it my all and in return i got a faster time !

• I run because my grandfather (dad's dad) died from heart complications because of a unhealthy lifestyle. Running makes me feel great and makes my days that much better.

• i run because im crazy?

i really dont know why i run, i guess i just like running and racing.

• Lil
    Lil Sendmail

Where do I start? I run because it is a high like no other, because someone told me that I wasn't built for running, because someone told me that I was too heavy and that I would kill my knees, because I used to overheat by just walking, because I'm wearing a size 8 jeans for the first time since middle school, because no one believed I would stick with it, because I never thought I would be able to run 6 miles, and most of all I run for the sense of accomplishment and complete confidence that running gives me that nothing else in this world does.

• I run because I can and because I can feel the pain, drink it in, embrace it and become something more.

• I run because I like it. Nothing more than that!

• I run because we were meant to run. It is when I am happiest. I run because I am 51 years old and I choose not to live a sedentary life and get old before my time. I run because whenever I am done I feel great! I run because I have made some wonderful friends thru running. I run because I have been blessed with health and stamina and I do not wish to waste either. I run because my mother thinks I shouldn't. I run because I love to sweat! I run because I can fit in a size 4 jeans! I run so my sons can think I'm cool!

• I run because if I don't, my first marathon will be painful and embarrassing.

• I run because I love to eat!!

• I run because I need to add change to my workout and challenge myself to receive greater rewards and accomplishments.

• I run so I can eat!!! :)

• I run because I never thought I could. I am 37 and have decided to finally take control of my health! I run because it makes me feel empowered and strong. I run because I want to lose those extra pounds I have gained since I began working from home. I run because it helps clear my head. I'm only on week 4, but I am hooked!

• I run because I love the feeling of accomplishment when I'm done.

• I run because I want to gain patience.

I run because I never thought I could.

• Great responses everyone! Thanks, keep it going.

• in reply to what said:I run because around that next corner is a hill I always suffer on, but today I will conquer it. I run because being outside in almost any weather is a gift from God which I plan to take full advantage of everyytime I can. I run because in a wor... read more

I loved your "I run because" response....especially the last line lol.

• I run because sitting at the computer all day is not living.

• (1) Ive lost over 65 lbs, and am still losing
    (2) Its my way of de-stressing after helping/counseling psychiatric patients 8/hrs a day
    (3) It feels great to break a sweat, especially in the rain
    (4) Its a uninterrupted and unfettered way to pray and worship God... without the burden of a building fund(j/k)
    (5) Because I can...............

• I run because...on the road, I am free; the road doesn't care that I am there so I might as well use it. I run because I hear my roommates sitting playing Xbox for 5 hours straight and never seem to go outside and see the beauty of nature. I run because I love to sweat. I run because I get to see my town in more intimate details than most people.
    I run because it is an addiction that doesn't need curing.

• @Robert Todd; Congrats on the 65+ lbs!

• in reply to what Matthew R. said:@Robert Todd; Congrats on the 65+ lbs!

Thanks man!-and good luck running your first marathon-there is nothing like crossing the finish line at your first one!

• I run because I weigh more than I should. But, I also run because I enjoy it. The early mornings when the sun's just coming up and the streets are empty, or in winter when the stars are still out, and it's just them and me. It's calming.

• I run because I absolutely love how I feel about myself as I am running and certainly afterwords the STRAIGHT AHEAD attitude shines through and through. I hope to always be able to lace up those running shoes. Straight Ahead, JR

• I run because it's who I am. I run because I can't envision not running.

• I run because I can.

My father died suddenly, and at an early age, because of the lifestyle choices he was making. I see my own friends making many of the same choices, and I don't want to go down that road. Some of them don't even try any more, they've given in that they'll be "out of shape and overweight" and so be it.

I run because I can, and because I don't want to make excuses. I may complain and bitch and moan every step, but I run because I feel good about what I've accomplished at the end.

• I run because it makes me feel better and it motivates the people around me.

• I run because its the best drug on earth.well and it makes my calves look good

• I run because.....

it makes feel free, like wild horses must feel.

there are people who can't, so I run for them.

to inspire others (for their own sake of running).

I LOVE physical challenges.

• I WANT to run because....I never thought I could.
    I WANT to run because...I lost 120 pounds and will work to keep it off.
    I WANT to run because...I like the feeling of just zoning out, listening to music and paying attention to the rhythmic actions
    I am running because...I can, it doesn't hurt and I feel triumphant when I'm done.

• I run...
    not because I can, but because everyone I know says they can't. Whenever someone asks me how far I ran over the weekend or how far my next race is, the next thing out of their mouths is "I could never do that" or "If I even attempted that I would die." I may not be the fastest dude out there and I may not have the stamina to run for hours on end, but knowing that I enjoy doing something that instantly instills such self doubt in others makes my day. I hear every excuse in the book but for most it gets right back a lack of confidence and a desire to avoid anything that may bring about discomfort. The ability to put one foot in front of the other is one of the first celebrated achievements in a human's life. It's a shame that people are content to stop their progress at "baby steps."

I run because...
    all the cool kids are doing it. The running community is home to some of the most interesting, funny, compassionate, supportive, downright cool people I've ever run across. Writers, musicians, designers, stay-at-home parents, business owners, actors, dancers, teachers, etc...are all part of my life now because I chose to take running seriously and my life is greatly enriched by them. It's a great social outlet. Look around a big running event. People are fit (or trying to be), happy and friendly. Great way to meet like-minded people and still gain perspective.

I run because...
    confidence is sexy. Runners care more about the stopwatch than the scale. They already know they look good and don't spend all day publicly obsessing over it. Go to a big race and people watch. There are a lot of cute outfits at the starting line but we all look like crap at the end. The fact that runners know this and don't care is a plus in my book.

I run because...
    I can't throw a spiral 60 yards downfield, hit a curveball, dunk a basketball or keep my tee shots on the fairway. Running lets me be the best athlete I can possibly be.

I run because...
    I'm not 6'4" with 8-pack abs and will never be mistaken for an underwear model. Running won't make me taller, but I can use it to make headway on that abs thing.

I run because...
    life is about balance. Training, resting and eating should all carry equal importance. For the longest time I was doing two out of three like a champ. Running has given me a justification for eating the way I like and I found that I sleep better on days when I train.

I run because...
    the world is an amazing place filled with incredible people and I want to maximize my time here.

• Because I can't stand the Idea of being on the receiving end of what I do everyday. Some might call me a Cardio-Phob and others might call me just plain crazy. I take care of people everyday who are not healthy and a fair amount of that due to lack of effort and a small part genetics. So for any freak that tells you running will kill you sooner than any other exercise just smile and say We'll see. Keep those miles coming... My Last tag on my Runners ID says Running From Sternotomy. Look that one up!!!

• I run so that I can be healthy and live a long life to see my children grow up (running is my part in the whole thing, the rest is up to God!). :) I run because I love to challenge myself. I love to run because it is such an accomplishment to do something not everyone can do. I run to set a good healthy example for my children. I run to work off any chocolate chip cookies, latte's or scones that I may have consumed the previous day!

I run because it is the only time I can be alone! Even going to the bathroom is not a solo experience in my house, lol! I run to be sane although most think I'm insane.

• I run because it gives me a sense of completion. I feel I can do anything after a good run. I am 45 and started running last summer for the very first time.

• I run because I get such a great sense of accomplishment.

• That is awesome! It is never to late to become a runner.

• I run because there's no feeling in the world like crossing the finish line.

• I run because I hate the way I feel when I don't run.

• I run because just last year I thought I couldn't.. and now I can! It's exciting and extremely motivating!

• I love your response! Especially the first paragraph... Last year, I didn't think I could run for more than 5 mintues, and now... apparently I can! :)

• in reply to what said:I run because around that next corner is a hill I always suffer on, but today I will conquer it. I run because being outside in almost any weather is a gift from God which I plan to take full advantage of everyytime I can. I run because in a wor... read more

I too must keep the voices happy! Running is their play time and without it they can make my life miserable.

• I run becuase it makes every experience in life better. I breathe better, I sleep better, It is easier to relax, food tastes better, I think clearer, etc...

• I run because there is nothing like watching the sun rise over the trees while sweat is dripping down your face, because God gives me the desire and ability and blesses me with newness with each run, because I want my three children to see my strength and desire to run, too. To stay fit, both physically and mentally. Becuase after my last race in college, I threw my spikes and swore 'I will never run again!' And, lastly, because at 36 and the mother of three, I still look FANTASTIC in a bikini and can eat whatever I want!!!

• I hated running for years and 8 months ago discovered it was not that bad...also have seen the changes running has made to my body...now I'm addicted, I have to run each and everyday...besides my off day that is.

• awesome... u have a way w/ words... i printed this baby out

• I like eating. And it makes me feel strong.

• I run because today, I can run.

I have MS. One day, I won't be able to run.

When that day comes, I do not want to have to live with myself knowing that when I could have done something, I didn't. I know I can't live my life that way.

When I ran my second half marathon, I took my sons with me. When it was over, they were so proud and told me they hoped I would do that again and again. That gave me another reason to run and run and run. Seeing those boys look up at me with such pride, knowing that they were excited for what I had accomplished, made me want to do it again immediately, frequently and forever.

• I run because
    1) I can.
    2) it makes me stronger.
    3) I love to eat, have to balance that out somehow!

• in reply to what Robert T R. said:(1) Ive lost over 65 lbs, and am still losing (2) Its my way of de-stressing after helping/counseling psychiatric patients 8/hrs a day (3) It feels great to break a sweat, especially in the rain (4) Its a uninterrupted and unfettered way to pra... read more

I am a counselor too! I identify with all of your answers! It is definitely spiritual!!!!!

• in reply to what Adam B. said:I run because its the best drug on earth.well and it makes my calves look good

I agree!!!!!

• I only know why I run on days that I don't run...which is not very often. I do not have to tell runners why I run, they know.....if you are reading this and don't run, I suggest you give it a try, start slow maybe walking. I walked for about a year and half before I started.

You will just have to experience this for yourself....then you will know why we run

"run to live - live to run"

• It keeps my migraines away.
    It keeps me healthy.
    I want to accomplish the goal of running a marathon.
    I love to feel the natural high it gives me.
    It makes me happy.

• I run because I enjoy the challenge. I enjoy feeling the pavement under my feet and the wind in my ears, and I enjoy watching myself go a little farther every time I try.

• I run because it is relaxing and healthy! Plus I want to be around a long, long time to see my wonderful children grow up!

• I run because it clears my head like nothing else does. It allows to me to stay in tune with nature/ the weather/ the seasons. I feel like I have accomplished something huge every time I run. And, running makes breakfast taste great!

• I run because I can.
    I run because I didn’t always think I could.
    I run because I couldn’t always run as far as I can now.
    I run because I want to be able to run farther.
    I run because afterwards I am always glad I did.
    I run because it lets me see the world from a different point of view.
    I run because it’s a way I can connect with other people.
    I run because it gives me goals to focus on.
    I run because I only have one body, and I want it to be healthy and strong.
    I run because it makes me happy.
    I run because I want to.

• I run because the act of running feels so natural and it makes me happy to go far..its just me and the road .

• I started to run because it motivated me to stop smoking. Then it allowed me to escape from situations I didn't want to be in. Now I run because "I have never felt worse after a run than I did before." Simple as that.

• I want to prove to myself that I can do it, and because it's helped me lose 25 pounds so far.

• Ken
    Ken Sendmail

I run because the doctors told me my knees hurt because of my weight. I am down 25 #s and still going.

I run because it is the last leg of a triathlon and if I survive the swim, I love to finish strong.

I run because it is my choice to pick a new challenge by running a longer route and trying to beat my time from the day before.

I LOVE THE RESPONSES FROM EVERYONE...

• I run because I recently chose to and love it. I've realized that it is almost everything...every emotion comes through but to me it is mostly FUN!!!
    It has helped me get in shape after 15 years of not exercising...in 3 months I've lost 28 lbs...have about 10 more to go. It makes me want to eat better so that I can give the most to the run and in return get the most out of the run.
    My kids want to exercise now which is priceless.
    If you haven't read Born To Run then I highly recommend it. Mainly I run because I was born to and God has allowed me to realize it.
    This answer may not be great but I'm no writer, I'm a runner!

• I run because I feel terrible when I don't!

• I run because I feel good afterwards.

• I need to get stronger!

• I run because I need to lose weight and stay fit. It also doen't hurt that I have met lots of new people, and feel like part of a community.

posted over 7 years ago

• ... people are chasing me! Ahhhhhhhg!!!!

posted over 7 years ago

• Generally flesh eating zombies.

posted over 7 years ago

• Joe
    Joe Sendmail

I run because I learn what I can accomplish, because I can work toward a goal, because it keeps me young and fit, because I can eat whatever I want and in outrageous quantities. I run because I can escape and meditate while the miles pass.

posted over 7 years ago

• I run because it make me feel strong. I run because of my daughter. I run to push my limits and my mind. I run because I love how it makes me feel.

posted over 7 years ago

• I run because I beat tonsil cancer this year and I finally have an appreciation of being in good health! I can't say I feel good during the run but I feel awesome the entire day after I complete it!

posted over 7 years ago

• I run because I love the sense of accomplishment it produces. There is nothing better than being able to say I can run x number of miles. It's absolutely motivating when I remember not being able to run around the block.

posted over 7 years ago | edited over 7 years ago

• ...because I want to stay fit and accomplish a fitness goal that not everyone can do.

posted over 7 years ago

• I run because of bears. If a bear is ever chasing me, I will try to outrun it. Forget this playing dead crap!

posted over 7 years ago

• @Joe: Always go hiking/camping with someone you can outrun. that way, you don't need to outrun the bear (you can't), you only need to outrun your friend.

posted over 7 years ago | edited over 7 years ago

• I run because I am addicted to guacamole and desserts!

posted over 7 years ago

• in reply to what Neal T. said:I run... not because I can, but because everyone I know says they can't. Whenever someone asks me how far I ran over the weekend or how far my next race is, the next thing out of their mouths is "I could never do that" or "If I... read more

I love this answer!!

posted over 7 years ago

• I run for many reasons. First of all I loike the mental game that running presents. I have to work through aches, pains, mental blocks pushing myself all the while. I think running is great for relieving stress and best of all it is an awesome workout for someone with very little time. With my body type there really isn't any other workout that I feel really targets my problem areas. When I started running for the first time it seemed like all of those hard to lose places just started to melt away. I also love the sense of accomplishment I feel after a good run or in other people knowing I am a runner.

posted over 7 years ago

• I actually wrote about this in my blog.

http://why-i-run.com/why-i-run-the-long-version/

posted over 7 years ago

• Jon
    Jon Sendmail

Keep fit and I enjoy it

posted over 7 years ago

• I run because I believe in the power of exercise to energize...not just your body, but your heart, mind and soul! I run because I notice a difference in who I am when I do it, and when I don't. I run because I need the solitude out on the trails, the roads, the hillsides and amongst the beautiful creation of our world. I run because my heart feels like it's dancing out of my chest and eager to love everyone and everything... those endorphins are no joke! I run because I have two working legs and a heart of fire... I run because others can't and who would I be to take advantage of such a wonderful opportunity, an amazing gift... I run because it's the thing to do for me...

posted over 7 years ago

• Wow...every time I don't feel like getting out there i'm gonna read this thread! ;) All soo great! Besides what has been said, I also run because I hope my niece who is four never remembers me at my heaviest when I just wanted to sit on the couch. I want to set a good example for her and show her she can do anything she puts her mind to and if her 5 foot nothing aunt can run she can do whatever she sets her mind to!

posted over 7 years ago

• I run because I love it!! It is my time to myself to pray, to think, to be. It is my stress relief. I also run to set an example for my children.

posted over 7 years ago

• in reply to what Eileen P. said:I run because I believe in the power of exercise to energize...not just your body, but your heart, mind and soul! I run because I notice a difference in who I am when I do it, and when I don't. I run because I need the solitude out on the tra... read more

I LOVE YOUR ANSWER! Thanks for the inspiration!

posted over 7 years ago

• I run because I am alive.

posted over 7 years ago

• I started running because my blood pressure and blood sugar were creeping up to where they would be called "high" and losing weight and getting exercise was the prescription. If they went much higher, medication for both was in my future and that's something I'd like to avoid if at all possible.

But now I'm just hooked on running. It's life changing.

posted over 7 years ago

• I started running for health reasons. I continue running because it makes me feel strong and capable of anything. I run because of the competitive aspects. I'm not winning any races, but it feels amazing to compete. Ok, its the pie. I do it for the pie.

posted over 7 years ago

• 1. I'm addicted.
    2. It is a de-stressor.
    3. It makes me feel alive.
    4. I hate swimming.

posted over 7 years ago

• I run because after the pain subsides, the breathing returns to normal and the sweat dries off I feel stronger and happier than before I did.

posted over 7 years ago

• I run because it's my choice and I choose to run.

posted over 7 years ago

• ....because I enjoy being outside, and being healthy. Running is efficient.

posted over 7 years ago

• It's been a while since we've gotten any new responses. Let's try to get a few new people telling us why they run.

I run because its a passion of mine, it's a stress reliever, and it's just good ole fun!

posted over 7 years ago

• I run because I can and I never thought I could. I started smoking and using chewing tobacco at age ten. I was never athletic and overweigt. I had always been evious of people I saw running, because it just looked freeing. I quit smoking in my early thirties, and I started walking to loose weight about two years latter. One day I ran to the end of the end of the road. I've now been running for about two years. When I'm running and feel like stopping I think of all those people passing in cars who are just as envious of me as I once was of the runners I saw.

posted over 7 years ago

• I run because I don't want my new son to have a fat dad

or

I run because I like wings and beer.....see above....

posted over 7 years ago

• I run because...running makes me strong - mentally and physically...running is fun...running is easy - just out my front door...running is hard...running takes me outside in almost any weather...running friends are the best in the world...I am setting a good example for my kids and other relatives too...running is a challenge - go farther...go faster...running is good for my health and because... I LOVE to eat. My life is better because I run!

posted over 7 years ago