Forums/

General Running

Newbie - need help/advise and Motivation

posted almost 2 years ago | Report

Hi, am very new to this running lark- aiming to complete my first 5km run in November so trying to get into shape - so far slow and steady. Suffering with aches and pains (especially knees) at the moment and only 2 weeks in!
Am overweight but consider myself fairly fit but more used to spinning and rowing - running is a whole new challenge ....

13 posts

scroll to bottom
  • Two things that are most likely at fault. Doing too much too soon and not giving your body enough time to adapt and it could potentially be a running form/shoe issue as well. Spinning and rowing are two activities where your body weight is supported, so this is a whole new game.

posted almost 2 years ago

• Good luck Debbie. Sounds a lot like me around 2 years ago. I followed this plan

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/table/2009/jan/10/beginners-running-guide

and never looked back.

With a bit of motivation and determination you can achieve your goals.

• Hi, Debbie! :)

Regarding shoes, you may want to visit a specialty running shoe store and have them observe your gait and suggest the best type of shoe for you. Try some on and compare them to how your existing shoes feel. If your existing shoes have 300+ miles on them already or are not made for the type of gait that you have, you aren't getting the right kind of support, and you'll probably feel a big difference.

Also, ditto to what Kyle said about not doing too much too soon with too little rest. Are you following the C25K plan? That's usually a good place to start, but if you're feeling pain following that plan (or any plan, really), listen to your body, check with your medical professional to be on the safe side, and slow things down/rest if needed. Better to be safe than to push too hard and risk injury.

Good luck with your goal, and welcome to DM!

• Welcome and FR sent :-) Anyone feel free to add me too...always looking for extra motivation!

• in reply to what Michael G. said:Welcome and FR sent :-) Anyone feel free to add me too...always looking for extra motivation!

think we all need a little bit of motivation now and then! Keep at it!

• in reply to what Kyle K. said:Two things that are most likely at fault. Doing too much too soon and not giving your body enough time to adapt and it could potentially be a running form/shoe issue as well. Spinning and rowing are two activities where your body weight is support... read more

Thanks Kyle - think you were right - I had 2 days rest and felt much better - trying to mix it up a little too now, weights, rowing, cycling - just trying to make myself stronger :o)

• in reply to what Adrian said:Good luck Debbie. Sounds a lot like me around 2 years ago. I followed this plan http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/table/2009/jan/10/beginners-running-guide and never looked back. With a bit of motivation and determination you can achiev... read more

thanks for the plan - will defo take this on board x

• in reply to what Adrian said:Good luck Debbie. Sounds a lot like me around 2 years ago. I followed this plan http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/table/2009/jan/10/beginners-running-guide and never looked back. With a bit of motivation and determination you can achiev... read more

thanks for the plan - will defo take this on board x

• FR request sent ... I'm here to support you too!

• When I first started I run too much and too often (80 miles my first month!) had some sore sore knees at the end of that month so I took a full week off of running and then EASED back into it slowly. Never ran 2 days in a row (just started to run 2 days in a row this year-I started running in 2010). But anyway, when I started I ran Monday (easy/recovery run), Wednesday (tempo or hill work) and Saturday (long run). Then I would be sure to give myself one full cardio rest day and do 2-3 days of weights and core work. It has worked really well for me.
    Good luck!

Anna
    homeschooling mom of 5 in NE
    fitgirlwannabe.blogspot.com

• Thanks for the advice - some really good tips in there! I must admit I thought the other day I should do some hill work.... may give that a try tonight - am trying to run every other day at the moment and mixing it up with running, cycling, weights and will now do some hill training ....

• Hello FR sent

• Starting today girlie! I'm not even remotely fit, and am scared to death. But we can do this!