Forums/

General Running

Pain in foot: Outside below ankle

posted over 2 years ago | Report

Hi all, I wondered if you could help me?

I have developed a dull ache, Its not the ankle bone nor related to the heel BUT just below the ankle bone and on the outside of the left foot.

When I run it is very tender when I first start running but goes away after a mile but does return once rested.

When I awake in the morning and place the foot on the floor it is quite tender initially but again subsides after a few minutes.

Any ideas what this might be?

• go see a doctor. I'm not a doctor so I'm worried it is a stress fracture
    http://www.runnersrescue.com/Metatarsal_Stress_Fracture_Running.htm

posted over 2 years ago

• Not a stress fracture as I can run fast still.

I thought it might be something to do cuboid related.

posted over 2 years ago

• I recently had this when I changed to a new running shoe & increase my weekly mileage.

It is the peroneus longus tendon. This runs from outer calf from peroneus longus muscle and turns into tendon where ankle/calf meet between the outer ankle bone and achilles, just above the ankle bone it splits into peroneus longus tendon ( runs to outside / under foot to pinky toe) and peroneus brevis tendon (runs in front of ankle bone), which I also get a swelling under ankle bump (Like a temporary 2nd/smaller ankle bump).

These tendons are rare injuries and often misdiagnosed and bad news is if any partial /full rupture most often do not heal and need surgery. These tendons primary purpose are to stop foot from rolling out and keeping calf inline with foot.

The tendons are inflamed & swollen. Try putting ice over these tendons for 15 to 20 minutes, two to three times per day. Remove the ice if the area gets numb.

Changes in activity may help manage the symptoms:

Decrease or stop any activity that causes you pain.
    Run or walk on smoother and softer surfaces.
    Switch to biking, swimming, or other activities that put less stress on the Achilles tendon.

Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) such as aspirin and ibuprofen can help with pain or swelling. Talk with your health care provider since I am NOT a doctor and do not want to be sued for trying to help a fellow runner.

posted over 2 years ago

• Could still be a developing stress fracture even though you can run fast. If pain with finger pressure on the painful spot or with tuning fork, might be stress fracture. If more painful with walking on heels, might be tendinitis. You could see a doc...or you could listen to your foot and ease back a little until you can run pain-free. Hope it's nothing major!

posted over 2 years ago

• Thanks for the posts. @ Gil: my heels do feel tender when I stand up first thing in the morning and when I get up from my office desk so I guess it might be tendinitis. I did a fast trail run the other night that was on very uneven ground with some steep hills and I also done ridiculous mileage (for me) @ 58 miles - I usually do 30/35).

So I guess these may well be factors.

I may well do some recovery runs at 139bpm (HRM).

posted over 2 years ago

• I heartily agree with seeing a sports doc, just to rule things out. You might want to take it easy on speed work for awhile. Some serious injuries just continue to worsen if you don't pay attention and you are out of commission suddenly for many months.

posted over 2 years ago

• I actually just went to see a podiatrist yesterday....that same scenario happened to me after my last 5K 2 weeks ago. I thought I had a sprain or maybe it was my achilles...became quite painful. He said it is a nerve that runs down the tendon around the outside of the heel under the ankle...pressed on it and could tell by feel it was enflamed..plus when he put his thumb on it I wanted to go thru the roof. Took xrays to be sure no fractures....gave me a cortisone shot and recommended some stretches for me. Also fitted my inserts for my shoes with a slight heel lift to take pressure off of the back of the ankle/tendon. Definately get it checked..I suffered for 2 weeks and feel so much better. Try to find a doctor that is familiar with runners. I got a recommendation from the Specialty Running store, Fleet Feet.

posted over 2 years ago