Forums/

General Running

early morning run: what to eat?

posted over 1 year ago | Report

Like many other runners I choose to run early in the morning especially during hot summer.
And here starts the problem: I wake at 6.15am to get ready around 6.30am and I simply cannot run on empty (low blood pressure, bad experience) especially before intervals.
What do you suggest? I tried banana, but I find it quite hard to digest. Anyone tried clifbar shot blocks?

22 posts

scroll to bottom
  • I tend to lean more towards the Gels (Gu, Clif and Powerbar), but I've heard the shot blocks work well. I have a hard time eating before I run as well, but I've found that applesauce works really well for me. They sell it in squeeze pouches (may or may not be for kids) but they fit well in fuel belts and things like that, so I'll have half of it before I run and bring the other half on the run!

posted over 1 year ago

• that's a great idea! thnx!

posted over 1 year ago

• I also run early in the mornings. Often I just have water before my run, but I do eat something if it will be a longer run or if I just feel really hungry. Stuff that works for me: gels (I prefer the clif ones), Honey Stingers chews (similar to shot blocks), a few dates, dry Cheerios, belvita biscuits. A few times I've had a small piece of leftover homemade lemon pound cake and that has actually worked really well - but not something I can keep on hand all the time :)

posted over 1 year ago

• I agree with Heather's gel idea. I generally down a GU before early morning rides. And you can get them with caffeine, which helps!

posted over 1 year ago

• I tried different things. My stomach gets upset easily :)
    Coffee and milk is a no-no for me early in the morning.

Solution: Instant oats. 100 g with warm water (388 kcal) and 7.5 g EAA.

Nutritional information:
    Per 100g:
    Energy: 388 cal
    Protein (dry basis): 8.5g
    Carbohydrates: 70.7g
    of which sugars: 0.8g
    Fat: 7.9g
    of which saturates: 1.3g
    of which mono unsaturates: 3.3g
    of which poly unsaturates: 3.3g
    Dietary Fibre: 8.8g
    Sodium: 30.0mg

posted over 1 year ago

• in reply to what Ted K. said:I agree with Heather's gel idea. I generally down a GU before early morning rides. And you can get them with caffeine, which helps!

Yep, I use clifbars with caffeine on my long runs, but don't you think a whole gel is a bit too much before 10k? Heather definitely gave me some good ideas, I'll try something alternative tomorrow morning ad I'll let you know.

posted over 1 year ago

• A gel is only 100 calories - for me it's not too much before a 10K.

posted over 1 year ago

• good point

posted over 1 year ago

• All good suggestions, but I want to add something on the banana. I also had problems with digesting them, but then I noticed that I should eat them when they are very spotty. Usually the ones that you buy in the supermarket are not fully ripe, the ones that are usually on discount are the good ones.

Just a suggestion based on my personal experience.

posted over 1 year ago | edited over 1 year ago

• Apple or Nanner!

http://runnerdude77.blogspot.com

posted over 1 year ago

• Im in the same boat. I usually get up at 5 and run first thing. I really like the shot blocks for me it upsets my stomach less than the Gu, but if you like that route I have had some good experiences with using Hammer Gels for longer runs. I like weekends when I can relax a little more then I eat Oat meal with berries about an hour before I run. Good luck hope you find something that works!

posted over 1 year ago

• 3 Shot Blocks are my week-day "meal" of choice, with a handful of cheerios being 2nd best if I'm out. On the weekends, or longer run days, I make sure to drink a gatorade (or equivalent) and eat at least 1/2 of a granola bar (Mojo are my current favs). Usually I meet with a group for long runs, so have a 30 min drive to eat and sip my drink.

posted over 1 year ago

• I have a stupid fast metabolism, so I need to eat something heavy and filling before any length of run. Before a morning run, I have a blueberry bagel with peanut butter and a full banana sliced on top. I'm picky with my bananas though - they have to be the perfect amount of ripe. Too ripe or under ripe hurts my stomach on a run and makes for a terrible run. I also have to eat during any run over 15km - I alternate between the Jelly Belly Sport Beans and unsalted almonds.

posted over 1 year ago

• ok, now after all suggestions (thank you so much!) I tried
    apple&banana puree and it it worked, as well as
    2-3 apricots, but I saw more results after
    a small cereal bar.

In my case it must be something small and nutritious. I guess I will try also a gel, as some of you suggested. A bagel would be too much, I have only 15 to 20 min between snack and run!

posted over 1 year ago

• Clif or Lara bars are pretty good quick energy, easy to digest and lots of different flavors.

posted over 1 year ago

• Weekdays are 'short' runs (10 miles or less depending on training). I use dates on the runs of 6-10 miles, and usually a stone fruit on less than that. I also carry a gel when going on a run longer than an hour as a backup. I get up at 4:30 during the week regardless of time of year and run prior to work (is easier than trying to do after for me). Despite that I can clear the fridge when I get out of bed, I don't want anything heavy sitting in the gut when I head out on a run.

posted over 1 year ago

• I usually run on empty, (except a cup of coffee before long runs). But lately I've been experimenting with fueling because I've found the heat really saps my energy and I need to tank up a bit before going long during the hot summer months. A half banana works great for me (like Joseph mentioned, I eat them quite ripe). I also do well with dates, dried apricots, or a combination (this is what I also take for fueling during long runs). I hate gels and goos and in general try to get my fueling needs met with real food. Dried fruit supplies an equivalent amount of energy/calories as commercial fueling options, and I find it to be quite easy on the stomach (and tasty!)

posted over 1 year ago

• i am another that typically runs on empty. However ive introduced running directly after eating to try and help condition my body to the eating and digesting on the run that is required for ultra running.

I eat whatever takes my fancy, i avoid fatty foods, tend to stick with breads with spreads, it may be a bit harder going in the begining but over time its something im getting used too...

another food you could try is a small potataoe, or some rice ... both failry easy to digest.

posted over 1 year ago

• If my run is 4-5 miles or shorter I just slug some water and out the door. If it's going to be longer (5+) I have one or two slice(s) of toast with a little jelly or something like that. I find toast is bland enough where it doesn't want to pop back up during the run.

posted over 1 year ago

• Hi Hannah,

I'm have hypoglycemia, so there is no way that I'll ever attempt to run on an empty stomach. I've tried banana's, yogourt or a slice of toast with peanut butter. You might have to experiment with a few things before you find what works best. I've heard those goo things are pretty good too, but make sure you drink a lot of water with them. Good luck!

posted over 1 year ago

• My go-to is 4 Nilla Wafers and a cup of water, no more, no less. All I can stomach.

A much more seasoned runner friend of mine swears by banana bread with a smear of peanut butter OR - if she doesn't have that luxury, which is much of the time since she eats most of the bananas in the house as we runners tend to do - half a Pop-Tart!

Some people's children...

posted over 1 year ago

• Water for sure (better if warm) to ease your bathroom routine before you run.
    Plus, if it is summer, and if the workout is short, a handful of grapes, or one apple / pear / 3 fresh apricots
    if it is another season or longer session in summer, raisins / dried apricots / dried mulberries and few walnut/hazelnut/pistachio to get both simple carbs and complex carbs (also quality fat and some protein from nuts) at the same time.

posted over 1 year ago