Forums/

General Running

A few shoe questions...

posted about 2 years ago | Report

Hey, All,

I'm asking these two questions because in the past few weeks, my shoes have been feeling "different." I can't explain it, but I think they may be worn out, and I have a 10K coming up August 25th. So, if I do get new shoes, how do I break them in for a race?

(1) How do you know when a pair of shoes is "done" and it's time for a new pair?

(2) How do you break a pair of new shoes in?

• 1. A good running shoe will last anywhere from 350-500 miles. Look at the wear marks and usually you can determine if your shoes need replacing.

2. Breaking in shoes is just putting some miles on them and getting use to them. It's never a good idea to run in a pair of shoes you have never trained in unless it's the same shoe model. Depends on your situation but it usually doesn't take long to "break in" a shoe...at least not from my past experiences.

Good luck on your upcoming 10K

http://runnerdude77.blogspot.com

posted about 2 years ago

• Paul gave good advice.

I would like to add breaking in the shoe really isn't necessary, you just have to make sure that you are used to it. For me that means at least 1 run the distance of the race I plan on running in them (in your case at least 6.2 miles) and a couple shorter faster runs. This allows you to make sure that there are no rub areas and hot spots, or if there are to be aware and apply some mole skin before the race.

posted about 2 years ago

• I use a calendar and try to keep track of my miles as well as watch the wear to see if areas are getting thin. The calendar lets me know where I am within the average mileage for shoes depending on what terrain you are running on. I run primarily on the street so my shoes last between 300-400 miles.

posted about 2 years ago

• I agree with the comments above, with a couple additions.

First is that your running form will influence how long your shoes last. If you drag your feet or have a heavy heel strike, you'll wear out shoes faster.

The other is that truly minimal shoes (Sometimes called barefoot shoes) don't have any EVA material to break down and will last longer, in some cases several times longer. If your not used to running in such a shoe, right before a race would be a bad time to switch, but it is an option if your willing to take the time to learn the proper form and allow your body to adjust to it.

posted about 2 years ago

• I usually go on the milage to know when they are spent. If you aren't already already add your shoes as "gear" to your workout on DM. This will keep track of the milage for you.

As the others have said there is no need to break them in - just put some training miles on them.

With all new shoes your feet need to adjust to them - so expect a few minor blisters.

If you get new shoes now you should have plenty of time to get used to them before your race.

posted about 2 years ago