Forums/

General Running

Finally trying

posted over 2 years ago | Report

Well, I am new to running as an adult. I did run track in high school, but have never been any kind of distance runner. I have 2 kids, and the treadmill is the only way I can get any running in right now. It was not as bad as I thought. I have been running since last Monday. one mile in the am, and one in the pm. Every day so far. I am gaining a little weight, about 4-5 lbs, I guess. I feel swollen in my hands and legs all of the time. I am 5'7" and about 155 right now. I'm 33 years old. I have been thin my whole life, but starting to gain a little, and need to stop it before it is even harder. I feel like I have more energy since starting running, so that is a plus. I have always wanted to be a runner, just never had the time to start. I am a nurse, and worked Labor and Delivery for 8 years. I switched last year to school nursing, which I love, and now have summers off. So, I am thinking ...What better time to start than now??? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

• You may not drop weight right away. Most people tend to eat the same added calories when they start running. Also, you'll gain a bit of muscle. Just stay in it for the long haul and think long term. A year later and you'll realize you're doing 25 miles a week and you are 5 pounds lighter and feeling so much better.

Good luck.

posted over 2 years ago

• in reply to what Doug said:You may not drop weight right away. Most people tend to eat the same added calories when they start running. Also, you'll gain a bit of muscle. Just stay in it for the long haul and think long term. A year later and you'll realize yo... read more

Thanks Doug!

posted over 2 years ago

• I started a few years ago and only got serious about doing more than 2-3 mile runs or more than about 10 miles/wk in the last year. While running will correct any weight issues in the long run, really try not to focus on weight while starting out. Instead, work on good form (which means you don't hurt) and having fun. If you do that, the weight, speed, and distance will come much easier.

posted over 2 years ago

• I agree with the others. You might not notice a big weight loss at the beginning since you probably will gain some muscle weight. But you might feel that you pants fit better - you change from fat to muscle. That's what happened to me at the beginning. During the first year of running I lost 15 lbs but I did nothing different expect I added running.

You might want to add rest days to your running. That way your body has time to recover from the workouts and repair any damage that the training caused. It made a big difference for my running when I added rest days.

Good luck!

posted over 2 years ago