Forums/

General Running

feeling burnt out

posted almost 2 years ago | Report

i dont know if its the heat or just that i recently finished my first half, but i am feeling burnt out, i have no motivation. my time is getting slower and slower. i was in my low 10's and now i am almost averaging 11 min miles. i run at least every other day and i never go longer because i am afraid that i will just stop running. i love running i am just burnt out. so i am thinking about taking a week off, i think it will do me good, i am just afraid i wont start back up. it was a long process to get were i am and i dont want to lose it. i feel like i am failing if i am not running.

• During my past marathon training cycle, I started getting burnt out a bit. I had been running all the same routes and had just got into a routine. I spiced up my runs by going to some different places, getting in some trail runs, and even just some runs without a watch. I had to bring the fun back. Also getting in some runs with some other runners is always a nice change of pace for me. So maybe take a couple days off, and then try something out of your norm for running. Setting a new race date some point in the future could also give you some motivation. Best of luck.

posted almost 2 years ago

• The same thing happened to me after my first half. I found that just relaxing and not worrying about pace ~ just running to enjoy the process without pressure ~ helped bring my mojo back. :)

Eventually I added tempo and interval workouts back into my weekly cycle, but for a while, I just gave myself permission to run "freestyle." It really worked for me.

Good luck, and hang in there!

• I occasionally like to grab a camera and go exploring. I don't care about pace or distance, only to find new and interesting things. Sometimes I try to incorporate Parkour moves and I run barefoot a few times each week. These things make it fun for me and add excitement that I don't get in serious training.

• Hi there Rae. Sounds like you definitely need a healthy break! Over-training blues is a terrible feeling. You will definitely get back to running - but it is wise to listen to your body right now and rest! I agree with both Isaac and Sandy, take some time off and then get back to it in a playful and non-pressurized manner. One thing that sometimes helps me is to run very very slowly (to hell with even monitoring the pace) on the nicest trails you can find - enjoy the surroundings and perhaps some fun music. One other thing is to make sure you are eating well (you may even want to check on your iron stores with some blood work....women athletes must watch for this). (most breakfast cereals have a ton of added iron...especially Total or Grapenuts). All the best with that :)

• Happened to me too after my first half. I took my time getting back into running, very random schedule, lots of variety in my runs, lots of slow runs,and no watch. Then 2 months after the half I set a PR in a 5k, go figure! So don't be too hard on yourself and take this opportunity to recharge and have fun, eventually you'll get back into the groove!

• I have been there, too. I think it's a normal part of the running cycle. It took me almost a whole year, one time. I was sick a lot, and couldn't seem to get where I wanted to. I decided to just focus on my happiness level, and not worry about distance, time, pace, etc. I chucked my watch for a few months, and ran serendipitously. It did the trick. I ran for the love of running, and soon felt back to my old self.

I agree with taking a break of sorts, but I do it more mentally. I listen to my body and take days off, but I've never missed more than two in a row when I'm in a "break". I am like you, worried I'd slip out of the habit, and it's one I love.

• for me changing routes & leaving the watch at home has made a big difference. I always slow down in the summer anyway. I think you'd be surprised at how much you miss running if you take a week off, might do you some good.

• I think taking a break is just fine but stay active another way. I wouldn't stop running until you have something else to keep you active. Swimming or biking? Tennis?Kayaking? Something to keep you moving for the week you are taking a break.