Forums/

General Running

Lookin for DM friends and Marathon question!

posted over 2 years ago | Report

I was curious as to how many half marathons should a person run before they try to run a whole marathon? Im training for my 2nd half for September. I have never wanted to run a whole marathon but that might change over time. Just curious as to how many halfs you may have run before you really felt good and strong enough to attemp a whole.

And I would love to have some more DM friends! :)

21 posts

scroll to bottom
  • I never raced in a half marathon before I did a marathon. (I did get lost running to work once and ran 13 miles by accident, and that convinced me I could probably do a full marathon.) It took me about 4 months to train for a marathon the first time - depending on how much time you've got and what base of fitness you're starting from, you could be running a full in September.

Whether you feel good and strong before a marathon is another question; I've usually felt like I'm falling to bits a few weeks before most every race I've done, which I'm sure is partly overtraining/under-resting, but my point would be that you are going to feel strong enough to run a marathon when you're on the start line. It's going to take several months to get there, so I wouldn't wait until I felt strong enough - that's what the training is for

posted over 2 years ago

• Hi Lauren, I ran a full marathon before running a half marathon. I figured, go big or go home. I worried that I might never do a full if I didn't just do it. My marathon and first hafl marathon were both run to finish, not with a goal pace/time in mind. Now I am training for a few more half marathons this summer and have a different perspective and goal. I have come to realize that while I very well may do another full marathon again, right now, I want to stick to the half distance as that is what fits well into my time constraints on training and where I feel like my body is at its best. If you decide you want to run a full marathon, I think you just need to sign up and committ to it mentally and train to make it happen. The training is different and longer for the full marathon unless you have a pretty strong base so running a half is never going to make you "ready" for a full. Good luck with your training. Friend request sent.

posted over 2 years ago

• I only ran 1 half before my first full marathon. I crashed hard in the full marathon and wished I had run more half’s. But really it’s all about training not the amount of half marathons you have run. A good marathon training plan will have you running more than a half marathon nearly every weekend.

posted over 2 years ago

• Someone mentioned building a base below. I agree that is one of the keys to successfully "running" a marathon. I ran two halves and a bunch of 15k's before my 1st marathon. The halves were somewhat easy and I didn't train special for them, the fulls are totally different like you suggested.

posted over 2 years ago

• you might take a look at some of the marathon training plans, I like Hal Higdon's, & see where you fit in them. I like the half myself but I'd like to do a full at some point.

posted over 2 years ago

• allen hit the nail on the head. it's all about the training, & "getting the time on the road". over the past 40+ years i have always felt the main difference in training for the full & the 1/2 is mainly the length of your weekly long runs. 10-15 miles for the 1/2, & definitely 20+ for the full marathon training. so, do you NEED to run a few 1/2 mars b4 a full? no, however, if you do, you will get a better "feel" for what the longer "races" are all about. (pre race hydration, pacing, hydrating during the race, etc).
    so, if i were to suggest the most important aspects for marathon training?
    long runs of 20+ miles
    increased weekly mileage over a few months
    & personally, i would add a few 1/2's b4 a full.
    i don't think the 1/2's are a requirement, but the more you do, the easier they become, and then if you add the 20+ runs on the weekend, you'll nail the full!

posted over 2 years ago

• I was just thinking it would be easier to mentally prepare or make that decision if my mileage base was higher. Im guessing after running many halfs, a person could easily accomplish a half or high mielage and move on to a whole. I know you guys are right that a half isnt going to make the difference, it comes down to the training. I think my new goal towards a possible future whole would be to continue my training and to motivate would be to do at least 1 or 2 halfs a year..

posted over 2 years ago

• I was just thinking it would be easier to mentally prepare or make that decision if my mileage base was higher. Im guessing after running many halfs, a person could easily accomplish a half or high mielage and move on to a whole. I know you guys are right that a half isnt going to make the difference, it comes down to the training. I think my new goal towards a possible future whole would be to continue my training and to motivate would be to do at least 1 or 2 halfs a year..

posted over 2 years ago

• I ran 1 Half, then a full, actually 2 fulls (just last year) before running my second half... it was really just a matter of training and have the time to do that! My advice - when it's time, you will know it! Do some halfs... even try a 25K if you can find one (16 miles)... Whatever keeps it fun! FR sent!

posted over 2 years ago

• The only reason to do some halfs before the full is to establish a good solid base as well as give you and idea of what time you could reasonably expect to run the full. I also try to run a half about 2/3rds of the way through my training cycle as a practice run. That is, i run it just like it was my marathon, same pace, same gel cycle etc. so bottom line if you keep running your 1/2's, you will have a very solid base which will help you take on the work load for a full. Good Luck

posted over 2 years ago

• Welcome and FR sent :) Anyone feel free to add me as well...can always use more motivation!

posted over 2 years ago

• Sending a FR as I am new to DM as well. Signed up for my first half this fall...

posted over 2 years ago

• am new to DM also, FR sent :)

posted over 2 years ago

• in reply to what Lauren S. said:I was just thinking it would be easier to mentally prepare or make that decision if my mileage base was higher. Im guessing after running many halfs, a person could easily accomplish a half or high mielage and move on to a whole. I know you guys a... read more

I totally think you are right in your thinking! While it is possible to run a full before running a half, I do believe the larger base you have the easier marathon training will be as well as the time you have spent training for the halfs will help prepare your body for the pounding that is involved in running! I have run 2 HM and am running my first full in November. I also did an 11 week base building phase after my second half where I built my mileage from 72 miles per week to 101 the last week. Now I am confident that I am ready to tackle marathon training!

posted over 2 years ago

• Personally the first and only running race I ran was a marathon.

I had run 20 to 30 kms 4 or 5 times that summer though... That being said I would not do what I did... I ended up getting injured and didn't run at all for a year.

posted over 2 years ago

• My experience is 3 half marathons. I ran one full marathon in October 2011. Now I know, I underestimated long runs and base endurance! That's the main aim of my current training. I plan next marathon in autumn 2012.
    Under my opinion to run some races (e. g. half marathon) is useful to gain some experience and courage.

posted over 2 years ago

• There's no magic number on how many half marathons to put in the bank. I pencil a few of them into my training schedule in lieu of the normal long run, not only for the miles but to practice race management skills (pace, hydration, fuel, etc). Base miles and long runs will take you to the marathon level, and give you a truckload of confidence. Hope you take the plunge one day, but in the meantime, good luck on half #2. FR sent!

posted over 2 years ago

• Agree 100% with Steve P.

posted over 2 years ago | edited over 2 years ago

• Just following my last marathon training programme (before my knee dropped off!) I was doing a half+ every week once I'd got past 8 months into a 12 month programme. The long runs would slowly increase but once you're past the 13.1mark you just carry on building your long runs and a half becomes normal as a weekend trot, though normally not at race pace.

I did one half in the lead up to the marathon as a test event to get into the swing of competitive running (though not really competitive as such - just running in a formal event)

Good luck with the training, I never got to London this year as my knee gave out, but my training programme was going pretty well.

Simon

posted over 2 years ago

• Lots of good advice above. My own experience is that I ran a half-marathon and then decided I wanted to run a full-marathon by which time I had run a second half-marathon. I would say that having a good base is more important. I was running nearly two years, on and off before I ran my first marathon and then you hear of very fit people coming from other disciplines who need very little training. I know one freakish cyclist who ran his first marathon on three weeks run training. I guess if you are running 4/5 times a week and can manage longish runs like half-marathons you are well on your way. Most importantly sign-up, forget time goals and enjoy.

posted over 2 years ago

• FR sent!
    Also, I ran halves (and other distances) for over 15 years before I decided to do a marathon. Then, I did one the very next year and am contemplating one this fall. The half is my "go to" distance, though, as it doesn't take over your life for four months! I don't think you necessarily have to do a few halves, but it's not a bad idea to build one into your marathon training plan, if you can.

posted over 2 years ago