Forums/

General Running

What's better for you, more frequent runs or longer runs?

posted about 2 years ago | Report

What's better - to log more miles or to log longer runs? I ran 29 miles last week but I'm running daily. I ran 25 miles when I was training for a 1/2 marathon but only ran 4 days a week. Wonder which is better for training (speed and conditioning)....

• Mentally the daily run is good. Physically it is good to do some longer/harder efforts with a rest day or two during the week.

posted about 2 years ago

• A lot depend on your personal choice, lifestyle & what you are training for. Most plans advocate at least one rest day each week. Personally I like a mixture of shorter & faster runs with some longer & slower runs. there are many good running plans available on the Net, such as http://www.halhigdon.com/ & many others. check out which suits you best

posted about 2 years ago

• for me being consistent is better. taking too much time off and overdoing it leads to injuries for me.

posted about 2 years ago

• I'll echo Brian W's thoughts -- a lot depends on your preference, lifestyles and goals for your training. Also, don't underestimate the value of rest and recovery and overtrain as a result, which is pretty common (I've done it). Following a solid running plan like one of Hal Higdon's is a good idea -- consulting with a running coach or trainer is an even better idea.

posted about 2 years ago

• For me, its best, injury-wise, for me to run 3-4 days a week....Monday (easy/recovery run 4-6mi), Wed (tempo run 4-5mi), Thursday (VERY slow run 2-3mi), Saturday (long run 10-12miles)
    But what works for one, may not work for another. If you're doing fine and are injury free, do what feels best to you.

Anna
    homeschooling mom of 5 in NE

posted about 2 years ago

• Somewhere in between. Some long runs, some rest days, some shorter easier runs, some short fast runs.

The biggest thing is what works for you, and what you'll actually stick with.

posted about 2 years ago

• A little late to the party, but I always incorporate at least one rest day in my schedule (more during recovery phase post marathons). like someone else said below I also vary between speed, recovery, tempo and distance. each one has a purpose. The most overlooked are the recovery runs. I can't tell you the number of people who run these runs too fast and therefore don't really recover. Then their quality runs suffer and they can't figure out why they get injured. Good Luck

posted about 2 years ago

• There's probably a formula out there for maximum fitness benefit, but it's probably better for each of to follow the routine we enjoy the most. That way we'll stick with it. Not much value in trying to follow a schedule that you're going to hate and may cause you to drop running altogether. Good luck. Chris Kelley - Framingham

posted about 2 years ago