Forums/

General Running

Do you carry a phone?

posted over 2 years ago | Report

Does anyone carry a phone while running? I often do, and plan to more often this year for emergencies and safety reasons. Easy to carry in a jacket pocket. But what about the summer months when no jacket pocket etc. I just got an iphone and it won't fit in my current fuel belt. Before I buy a bigger fuel belt is that the best way to carry a phone or what do you use? Thanks

And I am still fairly new here and always looking for motivation and inspiration so feel free to FR me if you'd like.

50 posts

scroll to bottom
  • Yep, I definitely carry a phone. If I'm going longer distances it fits in my fuel belt, but otherwise I just hold it in my hand, or if I have capris or a shirt w/a pocket I will stick it in there. It isn't convenient, but I feel like if I ever get injured it's my best option for rescue! (I also used it this winter on a particularly brutally windy/cold/snowy day when I asked my husband to come pick me up early from a run!) FR sent!

posted over 2 years ago

• I actually use my phone as my MP3 player .. I Love that I can have my phone at ALL times while running that way if my kids need me or ANYONE then I won't miss a call.

posted over 2 years ago

• The SPI belt works well for me. I've kept my phone as small as I can find so it still fits in the pocket of my water bottle holder, but often find I need just a little more room so use the SPI belt.

posted over 2 years ago

• In the back part of my nathan pack I carry my ID and phone and my emergency face shield for cpr. In the front on my left side i have my mace up high and then in that side pocket doggie skooby snacks along with my hammer pills and electrolyt pack thing... On the other side I carry my small knife, doggy poop bags and ipod. lol... I always wear my nathan pack thing except at events where I don't have issues I have to deal with here and I have that bib with my info. PS... ran across a guy here laying by a tree frothing- he was having a heart attack... used my shield and called 911- thankfully others were driving by and stopped and helped trade off on the cpr as I was already in a long run and pretty tired! If its raining i put it in a ziplock.

posted over 2 years ago

• I, too, am new here and to running in general, so weigh my advice with those caveats in mind. I always carry my iPhone in an armband carrier. Not only because I use it for my music (how anyone runs without music is beyond me), but because I use an app called Cyclemeter. They also make an app called Runmeter. As I understand it, they are the same app, just with defaults appropriate for the activity they are named after. If you have an iPhone and try the Runmeter app one time, I bet you never run without it again! And no, I have no affiliation with the company that makes it. :) You can set it up to update here (or facebook, or twitter) automatically, even periodically by time or distance, and keep a map updated with your location. And it makes it totally effortless to keep a log of your workouts, it does it for you! And, the latest version has built in training plans if you would like to use them. It's a bargain at $2.99.

Aside from Runmeter, as several other people have pointed out, it's just good practice to have a phone with you in the event of a medical or security emergency, whether it be yours or someone else's.

The armband I use is a Belkin I bought at Best Buy, it was fairly cheap and gets the job done. I imagine there are better out there. Since the whole setup adds hardly any weight, the only downside I can see is if you run in a sleeveless shirt. Then you are going to have a funny looking untanned spot on your upper arm. Maybe switching arms would mitigate that effect. I have an SPI belt, and the iPhone will fit, but it makes it too hard to get to to control my music and the Runmeter app, which I can do while running with it in the armband (although not smoothly, I'm sure I make an amusing sight running down the trail trying to manipulate my phone through the plastic cover on the armband carrier).

Oh, and to Gozling - way to go on the CPR!

posted over 2 years ago

• Thanks everyone. I will have to check out the spee belts and a bigger Nathan pack like Gozling talked about. For my shorter runs i don't have my music and not sure how much using my iphone for music will drain the battery yet so will have to test that. I usually use my shuffle for long runs. My handheld water bottle has a pocket but I usually put fuel in there and my Nathan waterbottle for my waist doesn't have a very big pocket either. I guess there are advantages to winter running huh!

posted over 2 years ago

• @Gozling Way to be prepared and even more on being able to perform the cpr when it was needed.

posted over 2 years ago | edited over 2 years ago

• I do here in Wichita Kansas a runner was hit by a car the other day. I carry one. I have had one car close enough i could touched the mirror. Thank goodness i was on the side of the road. Also i keep my mp3 player sound lower so i can hear cars coming or trucks!

posted over 2 years ago

• I got a flip belt at a race expo last weekend and wore it in the race. It was amazingly comfortable - didn't ride up or sag or bounce. I carried my phone (not an iphone, an old dumb phone), my mp3 player, and a few gels in it. Other reviewers say that an iphone will fit in it.

http://www.levelterrainapparel.com/flipbelt-1/

I got to meet the company owner, her sister, and her niece at the expo - very cool company.

posted over 2 years ago

• Thanks Heather I will check that out too. I bought my belt at an expos too. It has two pockets one big enough for a gel and the other to fit my old phone and id. It also would tend to ride up and wasn't very comfortable.

posted over 2 years ago

• in reply to what Sarah said:Thanks Heather I will check that out too. I bought my belt at an expos too. It has two pockets one big enough for a gel and the other to fit my old phone and id. It also would tend to ride up and wasn't very comfortable.

Sarah, I couldn't believe how well the Flip Belt stayed in place. I truly didn't even feel it.

posted over 2 years ago

• For what it's worth, I usually run with Rhapsody (streaming one of their radio stations, not just playing back downloaded tracks), Cyclemeter (uses GPS, a relative battery hog) and a Wahoo bluetooth heart rate monitor and usually forget to turn off the WiFi radio. After a one hour run I am only down to about 75% battery from 100% at the start of the run. So it would appear that I could go almost 4 hours running all of those things at once. I doubt battery life will be too much of a problem.

By the way, cyclemeter/runmeter has a great built in music app for your own music tracks. It's just that my music is downloaded from Rhapsody, so it can't play those tracks, I have to play them in Rhapsody's app.

• sarah... when i get home later I will take a photo of my pack for you and post it on my page so you can see which one it is and how it is set up.

posted over 2 years ago

• Thanks Sarah... Glad I stopped to talk to him and realize he couldn't talk back!

posted over 2 years ago

• in reply to what David W. said: I do here in Wichita Kansas a runner was hit by a car the other day. I carry one. I have had one car close enough i could touched the mirror. Thank goodness i was on the side of the road. Also i keep my mp3 player sound lower so i can hear cars c... read more

geesh... stay safe out there and glad you weren't hit!

posted over 2 years ago

• Nope. Only on a bike. I do have my Road ID. I very rarely listen to music and 99.9% of the time I am running against traffic so I can see oncoming situations better.

• Possible TMI alert:
    I usually double up my Jogbra and carry my phone inbetween the two layers if I don't have room anywhere else. It's unconventional, but it works.

posted over 2 years ago

• I have a dedicated running phone as I have no need for my iPhone when I'm out running. I bought the cheapest and smallest phone i could find ($15) - it's a Nokia 101. I've had it a few months now and I still haven't charged it.

It fits neatly in a small back poket on my shorts - no need for anything else to carry it in.

Works for me.

posted over 2 years ago

• I like Adam's idea of the running phone, but since I sometimes use my iPhone for music or for the GPS if I forget to charge my Garmin it is still good to have the iPhone. I'm a big fan of the Amphipod smartview clip on pack. It's big enough for the iphone and some ID and it clips either onto my shorts for a short summer run, or onto the fuel belt if I have a long run. I did have to cut a small hole in it to pass the headphone cable thru - but it works like a champ for me.

posted over 2 years ago

• Yes, I carry an iPhone since I use the adidas miCoach app for my training. I have an armband to carry the phone and have not had any issues. My fuel belt is too small to accommodate the phone and gels/chews in the same pocket!

Also, FR sent!

posted over 2 years ago

• Yes, I always carry my phone with me because you just never know! I also wear a Road ID but that's a different post. I have a belt I wear, its a cheap one from Target or somewhere but it works to hold my phone, cash, etc.
    Sending FR!

posted over 2 years ago

• I carry my cell, for music, keeping time and in case of emergency. i have an iphone... i put it in my running shorts, i buy them with a pocket, it fits nicely sticking out about 20 percent.

posted over 2 years ago

• This just showed up in my inbox from Zombie Runner looks pretty good.

http://www.zombierunner.com/store/brands/clean_bottle/product4058.html

posted over 2 years ago

• I've got a Nathan race vest and love it because it's lightweight and has just enough pockets in it to carry the few things I want to carry with me when I run. I have several different waist packs, but sometimes they chafe me and I don't like all the jiggling I got with a waist pack (I have plenty of other things that jiggle naturally - if you know what I mean).

Living in the south I'm also trying to lighten my load in the summer when it gets so hot, and I think the Nathan race vest will work well this summer. Here's a link to it:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000RIAVEK/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00

posted over 2 years ago

• in reply to what Gozling said:sarah... when i get home later I will take a photo of my pack for you and post it on my page so you can see which one it is and how it is set up.

Sounds great I will look for it.

posted over 2 years ago

• I use a pedometer app on my phone, so i always take it with me. I slip it under my bra strap and it's just fine right at shoulder level, no matter what the season!

posted over 2 years ago

• I take mine when on longer runs and especially trail runs, as I tend to be injury prone.....or out longer than anticipated. Sound stays off while on run though.
    I use the overly expensive holster built specifically for that phone. Never had an issue with it coming loose, but be cautious of where you clip yours on. One fall and the phone could be toast.

posted over 2 years ago

• I always take my phone when running, never know when my kids will need me!!! I hate wearing more then I need to!!! So I put mine in my bra...I do have an otter box case (water/ sweat proof) that my phone is always in. This has always worked wonders for me!!!

posted over 2 years ago

• in reply to what Sarah said:Sounds great I will look for it.

of course I havent done this yet.. Will work on it today! lol

posted over 2 years ago

• I carry my phone on longer runs in case of emergency etc. cos I use a running belt to carry water and it has a pouch the right size. If I was doing a short one (maybe less than an hour) then I probably wouldn't bother to take it, but don't have kids so am not often in demand while running!
    FR sent :)

posted over 2 years ago

• SPI Belt is a must! Always carry my phone.

posted over 2 years ago

• I some times put it under the front strap of my running bra, or my arm pouch

posted over 2 years ago

• I always have my phone on me for safety reasons and it has my music on it : )

posted over 2 years ago

• I'm another iPhone / Cyclemeter fan. Works for my sports, just haven't been able to justify the wahoo toys to go with it yet. I already have an old Garmin FR50 I picked up cheap so in a way I'm set. I don't have a fuel belt since competitively I don't plan on running more than 5k this year. I'm using an H2O Audio large Amphix water proof arm band for now. (I swim too..)

posted over 2 years ago

• L
    L Sendmail

I always carry my phone, even though I stick to the same route nearly every time I head out (the same four block loop very close to home). I always carry it because I don't run in a high traffic area so if I fall and hurt myself, or have a serious asthma attack I'll need to be able to call for help.

I'm thinking of getting one of those string bags made of mesh or nylon that are very light that you see high school athletes carying. It's hard to describe without an image, but they're very small and light and fairly cheap. I need something more than a pouch/belt because I need to carry my phone, ID, inhaler and aerochamber and pouches just can't handle aerochambers.

• Definitely .. safety first as you never know when things happen and you will need to call somebody. :)

posted over 2 years ago

• Well if its you thats in a emergency, why not get a wrist strap that puts all your details on. Saves carrying extra weight. I used to carry phone but not any more got on my nerves carrying it around , I have belt that my ipod fits into and has four small drinks bottles.

posted over 2 years ago

• buy a dedicated Running belt for your phone together with your carkeys

posted over 2 years ago

• I never used to, but now that I have the new iPhone, I do (hate to sound like a commercial haha). I didn't want to be bogged down with carrying my old iPod classic (the huge one), a cell phone, keys, hydration, gels, etc. Too much! So I used to keep it light, make sure my boyfriend knew where I was going and when I was coming back, and just carry my iPod. But my intuition started to kick in and I kept picturing all of these really bad scenarios where it would help if I had my phone so once I got the iPhone, I started carrying it on every run, even if I don't listen to any music. Also, I have the GPS feature through iCloud and I can be tracked if ever I don't return home by the time that everyone is expecting me to return.

posted over 2 years ago

• You know - I'm glad you posted this. I don't usually carry a phone on me because I run on an urban trail that is usually filled with people - but the response from Gozling about coming across someone who needed help and being able to call 911 for them - that's all the motivation I need to do what I had originally planned which is to find a smaller, pay as you go cell to use for emergencies.

posted over 2 years ago

• No. Doesn't cross my mind....Not a chance. One of the things I like most about running is not having to be held responsible for answering my phone. Getting away from all the bs with a logical reason. As for an music, I stopped running with one lately and am enjoying it more but having to dig a lot deeper to get that extra push.

• in reply to what Keiva R. said:I never used to, but now that I have the new iPhone, I do (hate to sound like a commercial haha). I didn't want to be bogged down with carrying my old iPod classic (the huge one), a cell phone, keys, hydration, gels, etc. Too much! So I used ... read more

Good idea about the GPS feature for tracking if god forbid you didn't return. I usually don't answer when people call unless it could be an emergency. I might even turn the ringer off sometimes. But I will have the phone if I need to call for emergency so I think it is a good idea.

posted over 2 years ago

• Yep. I carry mine in the pouch of my hydration belt (a Nathan Speed 2), or for a shorter run where I dont need water (anything under 6 miles), I carry it in my SpiBelt

posted over 2 years ago

• Hi Sarah,

I have the running tights with a small pocket in the small of the back and my phone goes in there quite comfortably.... Always take a phone,I tore a knee cartilage in February and didn't have mine with me - it was a long and painful hobble home

posted over 2 years ago

• I run with my phone in my hand, while running Runmeter and Pandora.

posted over 2 years ago

• Never. I run on busy public paths, so I'm not very concerned about my safety. I always carry an ID for emergencies.

posted over 2 years ago

• Hey Sarah --

I posted a response to someone else who asked this same question. I had this question myself not too long ago and came across a Mashable.com site (http://mashable.com/2012/02/05/best-iphone-armbands/#462731-Sporteer-Armband) of the top 10 best armbands. I tried the Sporteer Armband by PDO and it's been working great for me. I can't find it in retail stores but here's their website: www.pdostore.com

posted about 2 years ago

• I use my iPhone for music during my runs, and it really doesn't drain too much battery. I always have it in my armband. Even if I do the occasional run without music I still have my phone in my armband. If you choose to go the armband route, I'd get one without any plastic pieces. My previous one had plastic on it that the band looped through and the plastic pinched. Even after I stopped using it I had a sore red mark for weeks.

The cool thing about using the armband is that the audio for phone calls goes right through your headphones, so you can answer a call and not stop running. Your voice will go through the armband so you can talk and have it be hands free :) hehe

posted about 2 years ago

• I ditched my phone for a GPS watch and iPod Nano. Couldn't stand my phone bouncing around in my pocket and not a fan of arm bands.

Besides, who wants to be distracted from your run by calls and texts.

posted about 2 years ago

• I ALWAYS carry my phone. It's on silent, though - I would never answer a call when I'm on a run. I carry it for the sole purpose of giving me a lifeline to my family/a taxi if I need help at any point. Thankfully, I have never had to use it but it's a smart idea (especially for a woman running alone) to have some sort of connection to those who are waiting for her at home. :)

posted about 2 years ago