Forums/

General Running

GPS Watches

posted almost 3 years ago | Report

I'm looking to buy a GPS watch or something to that nature that tracks outside runs. Any suggestions??

24 posts

scroll to bottom
  • I have used a few different ones and found that the Garmin is the best one for me. It is reliable and I feel very confident in the measurements it gives.

posted almost 3 years ago

• Garmin Forerunner series

305. old, big and ugly- but it works.
    210: new. nice looking. small. good choice. limited features.
    405/410. the same except the 410's touch bezel works better in the rain and the 405 is a steal right now. Fully featured, nicely packaged.
    310xt: waterproof, triathlon watch
    910xt: waterproof, triathlon watch with really cool swimming features

So- i'd recommend the 210 if you want something small, basic and will do the job very well, or the 405 if you want to be a data geek and set up multiple screens with multiple variables, download custom workouts, etc.

there's also the Nike, a couple of Timex's, and Polars (with a separate GPS pod). But there's a reason why the Garmin's are so popular.

• I got the Garmin 305 because it was the best watch for the price. I got it for $150 on Amazon. It works great and has lots of options to track pace, distance, time, HR, and so on. It is a bit bulky and I thought that would bother me but it really didn't.

• Another 305 owner. Love it. Does everything need. I only thing I didn't like was the original rubber wrist strap. Due to the unit's size & weight that strap was a bit annoying. Replaced it with Garmin's quick release velcro strap and now all's good.

Many ppl have problems with the 405 touch bezel. The newer models supposedly work better, but none of them respond 100% like button operated units. Some ppl don't have issues but is it worth the hassle? Running and racing is hard enough without having to also fight your watch.

• I have a garmin forerunner 110. Comfortable on the wrist, has a heartrate monitor (though I tend not to use it that often now). It's got quite a good reliability record with me, having only once totally mucked up (on a day when lots of other people reported problems, so I blame the satellites!).
    Fairly basic, gives you the distance, time and pace on the display, and has the option to choose lap distance (set to 1 mile as default).

Think I paid £123 for it, so not the cheapest out there, but it's small enough to wear as a standard watch in the day without it looking too chunky.

Very happy with my garmin, and it's compatible with the running website I like, so can upload without having to use the garmin connect website.

• Garmin

• Jan
    Jan Sendmail

This website has great in-depth reviews of Garmins and other GPS products. Helps determine which watch is best for your activities. I use the Garmin FR60 and love it!

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/p/product-reviews.html

Good luck

• Garmin 305! Very reliable watch with a lot of features, (customized workouts, virtual racing partner, multiple screen options) It's a pretty sweet watch.

• Lot's of responses telling you to get the 305; except the 305 is discontinued. you can still find it, but it's rather expensive compared to what it used to be. Well over $200 these days.

• Yikes! I'm a 305 owner, too, but Morey's correct. At over $200, I'm not sure it is as good as a buy as it once was. I paid about $120 a year ago. At the current price (due to being discontinued), instead of going for a 305 I'd go to a running store and look at the new Garmin option and pick which one you like.

• had a 205 for almost 4 years and 5 marathons and too many other races to count. Is it old and big yeah but I can't seem to kill the thing. Love it since I can run anywhere and have it track my distance and pace. Is it perfect, no, but for all us recreational runners it's fine. you will love which ever one you buy. enjoy it!

• I recently picked up the Garmin 410. Actually received it as a Christmas gift. I have really small wrists and I find this model isn't too bad size wise. That was the main reason I did not go with the 305. I have not had any problems with the touch bezel so far. It does what I need it to do. It does come with a heart rate monitor, which I don't really use as it chafes me a lot! (nicley scarred now).

Honestly though, if this wasn't a Christmas gift, I would stick with my trusty Timex watch. But I haven't fully converted to a running stats person yet :) Maybe one day I will fall in love with my Garmin... one day :)

• Garmin 405/410 all the way!

As for the bezel problems reported above, I've owned my 405 for around 2 years now and haven't encountered any problems in normal conditions but did have some trouble while runing in -20°C (-4°F) temperatures... but I guess any electronic device would have trouble operating after spending 2 hours in those kind of freezing temperature...

Anyways, you don't really use the bezel while runing if you've configured your display to your needs... all you need is the Start/Stop timer function which is operated by a classic button.

Also, isn't it just great to have your times and maps uploaded straight from Garmin Conect to Dailymile!!!! :)

• Surprised no one has the 610 on the list, which is the best pure running watch Garmin has IMHO (Ive tried them all) Total screen customization to 4 data points and 5 screens, touchscreen and not bezel, always on light, vibration alerts, better curvature/wrist feel than the 405/410, nicer looking as a regular watch, R-R recording and integration with Firstbeat Athlete. Yes, it's their most pricy watch, but worth it for me. If you don't want to spend as much then jump over the 40* series and the 210 should serve your needs very well for most.

• My husband got me the Garmin Forerunner 610 for Christmas and I love it! It is my first GPS watch so I can't compare it to the other models, but it does everything I need and more...my favorite features are the touch screen and the vibration alerts.

• Hello Janet,

I wanted to ask about your Garmin. Its the watch easy to read while running? can you save settings for multiple users, do you use it to save race results?

Thanks Jameel

• I'm currently using Garmin 405CX and I have no problem with it.

• I use the Nike+ GPS watch normally (I had a problem with mine not connecting to any computer, so I'm currently waiting for it to be replaced) and I like it very much: it is simple, very easy to read while running (BIG numbers). I use it with an HR monitor, works really fine. For more "friendly" watches, it is probably one of the best (not many features, but easy to use), and there is also the Motorola ACTV that looks great...
    There are some reviews here that can help you decide (you should choose one based on your running needs), apart from the DC Rainmaker page.
    http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-240-321--14136-F,00.html
    http://www.runtheline.com/gps-watches#
    And be aware of the accuracy problems (don't think they all work the same everytime...):
    http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/20/health/nutrition/gps-watches-may-not-track-runs-accurately.html?pagewanted=all
    Good luck!

• I have the Garmin Forerunner 110 and it works really well for me. It is pretty basic, but all I really want to know while I'm running is time and distance, so that suits me just fine. I have very small wrists and it fits okay but not great. I usually wear it over my sleeve in the winter, or over a sweat band in the summer.

• in reply to what Hannah N. said:I have a garmin forerunner 110. Comfortable on the wrist, has a heartrate monitor (though I tend not to use it that often now). It's got quite a good reliability record with me, having only once totally mucked up (on a day when lots of other ... read more

Curious what running website you use. I'm annoyed with Garmin Connect after their most recent change and I'm wondering what alternatives there are.

• Here is a great resource: http://www.dcrainmaker.com/p/product-reviews.html

• I got the Garmin 110 and it is awesome. It is just basic but tracks time, pace and heart rate. Havent tried that yet though! Once you upload it on garmin connect it shows you your map, elevation and pace per mile! Very good purchase.. thanks for all your input!

• I love my 305. Sure it's big and ugly, but it does everything it's supposed to. I got it a couple of years ago and paid around $125. I think they are about double now since they are harder to find. If I was buying one today, not sure I'd pay the premium for the 305 since it is fairly old technology. My son is saving for the Nike GPS watch (it looks a lot cooler than the tank strapped to my wrist). I'll be very interested to check it out when he gets it as I'll probably need to upgrade soon.

posted over 2 years ago

• Garmin 405 here. It works great for me -- I've had no problems with the bezel. From what I read of the 610, it is likely its the best watch, but is also the most pricey. I'd say the best value right now is the Garmin 405.

posted over 2 years ago