Forums/

General Running

Asics vs Brooks?

posted over 2 years ago | Report

I'm loyal, loyal, loyal to Asics. But, I'm in need of a new pair of running shoes, and wondering if I should try a new brand? have heard great reviews of Brooks. What are you alls opinion on the two?

10 posts

scroll to bottom
  • I was loyal to Asics as well...but then had my foot 'fitted' for running shoes & Brooks did feel the best. I have a HIGH arch & 9 months later, I'm still loving the Brooks

posted over 2 years ago

• You should never base your shoe buying decisions on the logo on the side. Both Brooks and Asics are good shoes, but then don't discount Mizuno, Pearl Izumi, Solomon, etc... If they fit right and feel good that should be all that matters, even if they are UGLY! Your local running store is your best resource for getting the right shoe for you, I can give all the advice you want and more, but I have never seen your feet, or watched you run.

posted over 2 years ago

• I was also dead set on Asics, but after having shoes fitted it was some Mizuno's that worked for me.

My advice - go to a decent running store and get some shoes fitted and buy whatever feels best!

posted over 2 years ago

• use to run in Asics all the time. Switched to Saucony and am now running in Kinvara2's. however, the reason i switched was it was the best shoe for my foot strike and stride. you should find out what works for you. it maybe asics or it may be another

posted over 2 years ago

• I pay full retail for my running shoes- but I bug the hell out of the knowledgeable people in the shop, and try on every shoe on the wall. so- I get my money's worth.

Read all the shoe reviews that you want, but nothing takes the place of how they feel on your feet. Every time I go in the shop I tell them what shoe I've read about that I want to try on. They generally snicker and say "OK, but it probably won't work for you". they're always right, but it's still worth it to me to get a feel for the different shoes and models. All part of the fun.

posted over 2 years ago

• I'd say that if you are loyal to Asics because they've always worked for you - no need to change. If you are hearing good things about another shoe, it's probably because they have a slightly different fit that suits one segment of the population - of which you may not be a member of.
    Why bother changing something up when what you've gone with in the past has presented no issues? New shoes of another brand aren't going to take huge chunks of time out of your race performance.
    (I say this partly because it is my true gut response, but halfway through typing it I remembered that at one point I tried switching shoes away from an old standby, only to get PF type symptoms that plagued me for a few months before I realized what was going on).

However, on the other hand, if you are ok with giving another shoe a chance just to try something different in the event they are better - but with being conscious of the idea that you may have to ditch them relatively quickly at the first sign of trouble - experiment away!

posted over 2 years ago

• I've run in both. I go to a store where they bring out models based on foot type and stride. They have treadmills you can run on to test the shoes. My last two pairs were Brooks, but before that I bought a pair of Asics and they were good too. Each model is different, so I just go with the one that feels best when I run.

posted over 2 years ago

• Thanks all! I have no problem with my asics, the style I get fit great, and I never have any issue. But.. I would like to know if there is another fit that would be even better.. looks like i'm heading to my fleetfeet soon! :)

posted over 2 years ago

• I have run in Brooks and hated 300 miles in them but that is me and just caused me black and blue toe issues. Used to have issues with Asic with shin splints, but the new pair I have are Asic and love them have over 400miles and still going who would have thought.

As for shoes they all fit different for each individual person. I would go the a Run specific shop and try on several different brands.

posted over 2 years ago

• I have been using Brooks for my last two pairs. I too considered trying something different when I purchased my recent pair but the salesperson advised me if I haven't had any problems, and I like my current shoes, just stick with what works. I'm glad I did!

posted over 2 years ago