Forums/

General Running

Any good running books out there?

posted about 3 years ago | Report

I love to run...and I love to read... therefore I love to read about running too. I would love to hear which books you read about running that you really liked. Not so much into books that tell you how to run (read plenty of those) but moreso, stories, bios etc. I read 'born to run' and loved it. 'Running on Empty' is another great one. 'And then the vulture eats you' was so-so and right now I am reading Bart Yasso's 'My life on the run' about which I still can't make my mind up as to whether I like it or not. 'Running through the wall' was a good one too and so was 'Ultra marathon man'. There must be more out there so if you have any tips, I'd love to hear about it.

28 posts

scroll to bottom
  • I too enjoyed Born to Run & Ultramarathon Man. I have recently read & enjoyed "What I Talk About When I Talk About Running" and another of Dean Karnazes books "Run!: 26.2 Stories of Blisters and Bliss".
    I shall check out the others you mention, thanks.

posted about 3 years ago

• Try Mike Stroud's "Survival of the Fittest".

posted about 3 years ago

• Great question Karin! Can't wait to see the responses. We should start a book swap!

posted about 3 years ago

• I read The Non-Runner's Marathon Guide for Women by Dawn Dais and it was HILARIOUS! I would absolutely recommend this one. Only runners will really get the humor, but you'll laugh out loud every other page.
    I'm reading Natural Running by Danny Abshire because I'm learning how to properly run in Newton's... it has put me to sleep a few times but it's informational I guess.
    I'm also just starting Born to Run. Glad to hear you'd recommend it!

PS- If you haven't watched Spirit of the Marathon, you're missing out!

posted about 3 years ago

• My favorite so far is "Born To Run"

posted about 3 years ago

• in reply to what Andy said:I too enjoyed Born to Run & Ultramarathon Man. I have recently read & enjoyed "What I Talk About When I Talk About Running" and another of Dean Karnazes books "Run!: 26.2 Stories of Blisters and Bliss". I shall check ou... read more

I love his books, he has such a good sense of humor! I'll check those out for sure, thanks!

posted about 3 years ago

• in reply to what Carolyn S. said:Try Mike Stroud's "Survival of the Fittest".

Thanks Carolyn!

posted about 3 years ago

• in reply to what Jenny P. said:Great question Karin! Can't wait to see the responses. We should start a book swap!

lol I'd love that! It's so hard finding good running related books!

posted about 3 years ago

• in reply to what said:I read The Non-Runner's Marathon Guide for Women by Dawn Dais and it was HILARIOUS! I would absolutely recommend this one. Only runners will really get the humor, but you'll laugh out loud every other page. I'm reading Natural Run... read more

The non-runner's marathon guide sounds like a good one! You will love the Born to Run.. I didn't switch to barefoot but was sure inspired! I have heard about the Spirit of the Marathon and watched a little bit but I heard its a cry movie and I can't watch those lol. I did watch 'Running on the Sun' about the Badwater ultra and Running the Sahara ...holy crap is all I have to say about those! :-)

posted about 3 years ago

• in reply to what Bryce H. said:My favorite so far is "Born To Run"

That was an awesome book. I don't know if you read it already but Running on Empty is what I found a similarly written book...great story about an awesome guy (Marshall Ulrich) and the foreword is by McDougall.

posted about 3 years ago

• Once a Runner by John L. Parker, Jr.

posted about 3 years ago

• See Dane Run (one man, 52 weekends, 52 marathons) by Dane Rauschenberg

posted about 3 years ago

• if you like Nike, you'll LOVE this book:
    Out of Nowhere: The Inside Story of How Nike Marketed the Culture of Running [Paperback]
    Geoff Hollister (Author)

posted about 3 years ago

• 2nd on Once a Runner, and check out the sequel Again to Carthage

posted about 3 years ago

• 3 of my favorites, Staying the Course (about Dick Beardsley), To The Edge (Badwater Ultramarathon), Running with the Buffalos, (elite college X-Country, Adam Goucher).

posted about 3 years ago

• For Inspiration I recommend "Once A Runner" and the Sequel "Again To Carthage", John L. Parker Jr.!

posted about 3 years ago

• Marathon & Beyond. It comes out every other month and is technically a magazine, but it's more like a book. Lots of in-depth articles, many of which are first-person accounts of marathons ... and beyond.

posted about 3 years ago

• in reply to what Bill K. said:Marathon & Beyond. It comes out every other month and is technically a magazine, but it's more like a book. Lots of in-depth articles, many of which are first-person accounts of marathons ... and beyond.

I have never heard of that one! Now that'd be something to look in to for sure!

posted about 3 years ago

• I have read some of the books above and loved Run!, Born to Run and Ultramarathon man. My favourite had to be Mike Strouds "Survival Of the Fittest" though. I'm currently reading "Relentless Forward Progress" by Byron Powell which is good. I would also recommend "The Loneliness Of a Long Distance Runner" (Very Funny) and "Why We Run". "Feet in the Clouds" is also a fantastic book on fell running in the UK.

posted about 3 years ago

• Yes, I forgot lol, I have the Relentless Forward Progress too and really liked it. It was very helpful in my prep for my first ultra, especially the importance of walking! Trying to do it the way he describes it sounds easier than it is though... atleast for me:-)

posted about 3 years ago

• in reply to what Robyn E. said:Once a Runner by John L. Parker, Jr.

Robyn, I totally agree. Have you read the sequel? I just bought it, but I'm waiting for Christmas to start it!

Also, for everyone, I really enjoyed "Running with the Buffaloes" by Chris Lear. It's written in a journal/blog style and reads very quickly.

posted about 3 years ago

• I love to run and love to read, too! I also loved "Born to Run" and "Ultra-marathon man". "The Long Run" is really good - check it out!

posted about 3 years ago

• This is awesome people! My Christmas list is getting longer and longer! Thank you so much everyone!

posted about 3 years ago

• Another vote for "Once a Runner". Couldn't put it down.

posted about 3 years ago

• I really enjoyed and re-read sections of 'What I talk about when I talk about running' by Haruki Murkakami on a regular basis.

posted about 3 years ago

• I just searched running books and found this question.... I just bought "Once a Runner" as many said it was great. Thanks!

posted over 2 years ago

• Born to Run was a great read...!

Http://runnerdide77.blogspot.com

posted over 2 years ago

• My 3 favs are Run Like A Mother, Mile Markers and The Alcoholic Ironman.

posted over 2 years ago