Forums/

General Running

Substitute for Gu???

posted almost 3 years ago | Report

For the past few years I've successfully eaten Gu (and a few other types of gels) on long runs. My first full marathon is 2 weeks away, and Gu/gels are making me gag! Last week I thought it was a fluke, but it happened this week as well. I seem to be able to eat sport beans and chews.
Is there a specific number of beans or chews that will = the energy and electrolytes of a Gu?

22 posts

scroll to bottom
  • Do you use the GU chomps? I use those on my long runs, I can't stand the gels. I like the beans but I think they can be overly sweet. Power Bar has these energy bites I would like to try, has anyone else tried them on runs?

posted almost 3 years ago

• Recently I've switched to 1/2 a banana and 2 fig newtons instead of a gu. Works out really well, but it's cumbersome to carry 6 banana halves and 12 cookies on a marathon run...

• I've tried those little Power Bar Energy Bite things. I have to say, taste wise, they are WAY better than expected. But energy wise, I wasn't convinced. Worth a try though as they might be perfect for someone. Especially because the flavor was so decent for that type of thing.

• I have used Sports Beans and Honey Stingers and my stomach can handle both especially the Honey Stingers

i also use Hammer Sustained Energy along with Hammer Heed

posted almost 3 years ago | edited almost 3 years ago

• I like Clif Shot Bloks. They're like really big gummy candies. A package has 6 blocks. Half the package - 3 blocks - equals a gu. I also can't stand most gus/gels, but can handle chocolate or coffee flavored ones. Alternately, pretzels, bananas, dry cereal, choc. covered coffee beans, etc. are options, but you probably want to try those out before using in the marathon.

• Another vote for the Cliff Shot Blocks. I can stomach Gu - and I really like the Roctane - but with the blocks because I can pop one in my mouth every so often I don't feel like I get the swings in energy like I do with Gu. I find the Gu chomps to be a little harder to chew and a little more difficult on my stomach than the Shot Blocks. I liked the beans, but they made me really thirsty.

Tip with the blocks, if you go with them, is to cut the end of the package with scissors before the race and just fasten with a small piece of tape. Opens easy when you need one :)

• I have found real food sits well with me. My favorite is PB&J's. Experiment on longer training runs and if there is something that works you can have friends or family provide periodically durring the race. Good luck.

• I use Shotblocks as well. Each bar comes with 6 blocks. I take 2 every 20 minutes or so after the first hour. Works very well for me in sustaining my energy levels.

• Little Debbie Star Crunch (the small ones)

150 Calories
    22 Grams Carbs
    Cost = about $1.50 a dozen

Gu

100 Calories
    20 Grams Carbs
    Cost = $1.00 each

• I have been taking Hammer Gel on my longer runs. You can get a small handheld flask that has 5-6 servings. Each mile I would take a small sip. It did the trick for me. Works well.

I have read in a lot of forums that it really depends a lot on what your stomach can tolerate, so experiment with different types of products until you find one your stomach and taste buds does well with.

I have also eaten the power gel gummies, strawberry banana, those things are delicious. I'd eat those as a snack if I could. :)

• I can't stand GU. Fig Newtons for me.

• I tried my first GU gel (vanilla bean) on my 8 mile run and HATED it! Just have to find what works for you. For me it's jelly belly sports beans and Nuun tablets to keep me better hydrated!

• I tried my first GU gel (vanilla bean) on my 8 mile run and HATED it! Just have to find what works for you. For me it's jelly belly sports beans and Nuun tablets to keep me better hydrated!

• in reply to what said:Do you use the GU chomps? I use those on my long runs, I can't stand the gels. I like the beans but I think they can be overly sweet. Power Bar has these energy bites I would like to try, has anyone else tried them on runs?

Power Bar bites are awful. Like chewing wax

• in reply to what said:Do you use the GU chomps? I use those on my long runs, I can't stand the gels. I like the beans but I think they can be overly sweet. Power Bar has these energy bites I would like to try, has anyone else tried them on runs?

Power Bar bites are awful. Like chewing wax

• I like the Gu Chomps. Works just as well without giving me that funny feeling a half hour later. Gatorade Pre-Game Fuel works pretty well...though I had that weird funny feeling a half hour later. I think one pack of the Chomps is 2 hours of energy...4 before and 4 during your run!

• Thanks for all the input! I took lots of Shot Blocks on the marathon. Around mile 7 or 8, Clif Shot Gels were available. I took 1 chocolate and 1 vanilla, deciding it was worth a try since they were free. Amazingly, I didn't gag! Maybe during my final long runs I was more stressed than I realized, and the gag reflex was temporary. I was glad they worked, but am also glad to have all of your ideas, in case I get a gel aversion again.

• I'm glad that I saw this thread. I can't do the GU gels - gag reflex problems! I agree the beans are too sweet - I've been getting horrible stomach cramps with those. I think I'll have to try the shot blocks!

posted over 2 years ago

• Gu gels make me gag, and the beans make me want to puke, but I can do Power Bar gels.

posted over 2 years ago

• Love the Cliff Shot Blocks!!

posted over 2 years ago

• I hate gummy bears but I love Cliff ShotBlocks! I could just sit and snack on 'em. They go down easy. Nothing like Gu (gag).

posted over 2 years ago

• Cliff shot blocks for me. I find the Gu Chomps too chewy. they get stuck in my teeth.

the Gu gels work- but I've never eaten one without getting my fingers sticky. Plus, a whole gel is a bit large for me to eat all at once.

posted over 2 years ago