Forums/

General Running

Use a Running Mantra? Please particpate

posted over 8 years ago | Report

Do you use a running mantra? If so, and you care to share, please post and tell us What? Why? When? and How? you use it.

I'm gathering responses from here and Twitter to compile a post we can all learn from and try new things.

Thanks for participating :)

98 posts

scroll to bottom
  • For example I often use the mantra "Om Mani Padme Hum" which is a Tibetan mantra for compassion.

I don't really use it for the meaning, even though that's nice, but rather tie it to my breathing and foot strikes to help settle my breathing and keep a certain pace that I want to maintain. I'm not a fast runner so a mantra really helps to get my mind out of the way so my body can do what it's supposed to do more efficiently.

I chose an "abstract" (sort-of) mantra so that it does not have any thing attached to it other than running so I don't get distracted with other thoughts or meanings that may be attached to regular words like "easy-peasy" or something.

I usually only use it during the last half of my distances and try to let it come about naturally and not try to force it. If I start to lose my mojo then I will bring it up instantly in my mind to try and get myself back on track.

I will usually try and tie my exhalations to the "Mani" and "Hum" parts depending on my pace as these seem to allow me to get a good complete exhalation which sets me up for a good inhale and helps to keep side stitches at bay.

posted over 8 years ago | edited about 8 years ago

• "Yo left. Yo left. Yo left right left."

Or I count around the alphabet in 4/4 time, sixteenth note per step, one bar per letter.

Alpha e & a, 2 e & a, 3 e & a, 4 e & a
    Bravo e & a, 2 e & a, 3 e & a, 4 e & a
    Yankee e & a, 2 e & a, 3 e & a, 4 e & a
    Zulu e & a, 2 e & a, 3 e & a, 4 e & a
    Yankee e & a, 2 e & a, 3 e & a, 4 e & a
    Bravo e & a, 2 e & a, 3 e & a, 4 e & a
    Alpha e & a, 2 e & a, 3 e & a, 4 e & a

Up the alphabet and back down like that is 816 paces. I never have enough concentration to figure out that distance, running on the track, but when I used to do that as a cyclist, if I was in a slow cadence, I'd cover about 4 miles.

posted over 8 years ago

• Thank you Apollo.

posted over 8 years ago

• I'll be putting the post together about running mantras this weekend, if you're a runner that likes to use a mantra please contribute. Thanks.

posted over 8 years ago

• I have two:

1. He, he, he, he, he, who
    He, he, he, he,who
    and I count down to just he who

2. Shalom to the beat of my feet. Sometimes I use it slowly as in a yoga sound.

posted over 8 years ago

• Jim, what a great question. It got me thinking so much I actually wrote a blog post around it.

I divide my mantras into two categories-technical and motivational.

The technical mantras remind me to keep good form while running. I repeat things like, “big breath…into the belly”; “head up…head up…head up”; “head over feet…head over feet”; and there’s always the general, “relax…relax…relax”.

Then there are the motivational ones like, “keep going…keep going…keep going”; “you can do this…you can do this”; and one of my favorites, "this is the thing you're doing today".

Thanks for bringing this question up, and, if you're interested in my blog post, you can find it here at: http://thepixelsuite.wordpress.com/2009/02/20/om-shanti/

posted over 8 years ago

• Not exactly mantras... I try to choose a short sentence that can be broken in inhale and an exhale parts, or two very short sentences, and I do care about the images they bring to my mind. The inhale image is usually about something that brings to my mind the idea of gratitude, of getting lots of things from the world.

Does not make much sense, I know...

posted over 8 years ago

• in reply to what Jim W. said:For example I often use the mantra "Om Mani Padme Hum" which is a Tibetan mantra for compassion. I don't really use it for the meaning, even though that's nice, but rather tie it to my breathing and foot strikes to help set... read more

My favorite, in time with my foot strikes:

"Ouch, sh*t... Ouch, sh*t... Ouch sh*t..."

Works like a charm. Actually, I have never heard of runners using mantras... At least none of the guys I've ever run with. Good luck with your research.

posted over 8 years ago

• thanks Todd and others. a little behind schedule but will compile and post later.

posted over 8 years ago

• Post is up regarding running mantras http://www.triathlon-calendar.com/running-mantra.html Thanks for participating.

posted over 8 years ago

• Kinda late to respond sorry.

Being a person of faith (devoit Catholic) I have some of the best conversations with the Good Lord during my longer runs. I talk about being a better husband, father and friend. How I can help others using the gifts I was given and sometimes say a few prayers. So I don't know if this falls into mantra territory but since you asked, there ya go.

I'll be sure to read your blog post.

posted over 8 years ago

• well when I start to feel like crap I start telling my self I feel great a little white lie never hurt no one lol.oh yeah and sometimes when going up hill I think I can I think I can.

posted over 8 years ago

• in reply to what Adam B. said:well when I start to feel like crap I start telling my self I feel great a little white lie never hurt no one lol.oh yeah and sometimes when going up hill I think I can I think I can.

LOL. You and the little engine. Thanks for the laugh to begin my day. Gotta run, literally.

posted over 8 years ago

• Thanks Mark, Adam. Spiritual discussions and positive affirmations are always good. Thanks for the replies.

posted over 8 years ago

• I used @sagetree's "Form & Breath" trick today during one of my tempo sets. Worked pretty good. Used "Form" on the inhales and "Breath" on the exhales only when needed for a little extra help.

posted over 8 years ago

• I use the Band of Brothers one: 3 miles up, 3 miles down.

Not that I'm running on hills or running 6 miles, it's just stimulating remembering the training in the movie

posted over 8 years ago

• in reply to what Adam B. said:well when I start to feel like crap I start telling my self I feel great a little white lie never hurt no one lol.oh yeah and sometimes when going up hill I think I can I think I can.

I ran a 5K with my son who was 11 at the time. Half way through he said I don't think I'm going to make it. I held his hand and said your the little engine that could chugging up that hill. You have to believe. I kept repeating I think I can I know I can. I got some strange looks, but we made it!

posted over 8 years ago

• I don't have a mantra per se. But I do sing while I run. And I notice that when I run without music it's much much harder to focus.

I also sing old Basic Training cadences when my mind starts playing tricks on me.

Good luck.

posted over 8 years ago

• H
    H Sendmail

I just keep saying :

This is in you...over and over again. It's 4 beats so I just keep going

posted over 8 years ago

• HARDER... FASTER ..... BETTER ..... STRONGER!!

I listened to that sound by Daft Punk about 1,000,000,000 times while training and it then carried me though my first 1/2 marathon;)

I do love the Om Mani Padme Hum mantra;)

posted over 8 years ago

• Thank you for all the additional input, I'll be adding them to the post.

posted over 8 years ago

• Sorry so slow....my favorite is "I can do anything for x miles!".

posted over 8 years ago

• When my brain gets really whiny, I make it count in primes:

When I do this after running several miles (15 miles or so) I'm really, really bad at it and I go back to just regular running... maybe my brain then realizes that if it doesn't chill out and enjoy the run, I'm going to make it do math... and while I enjoy them both, I'd prefer to keep them separate. :)

posted over 8 years ago

• I have several, but the one I've been using lately is "Make it count, make it count"...

posted over 8 years ago

• On regular run day's there is no need for a mantra for me, just jamming to my tunes...but on those long runs, let's just say my mantra would make a sailor blush.

posted over 8 years ago

• My mantra on my normal training runs is just whatevers being blasted into my ears on my iPod at the time. But when the going gets tough, when you're tired and want to quit, I just repeat to myself

"Clear your mind and keep 'em [my muscles] firing"

posted over 8 years ago

• The last leg of my run is a major hill, so to make it up the hill I use two techniques.
    1. I read somewhere that breathing from the stomach helps ease muscle fatigue. So, I start consciously breathing from my stomach. Drawing deep breaths and exhaling. Once I get that down I start to coordinate my steps with my breathing. I find that my mind is concentrating on breathing and coordinating my steps that I forget I am running up an excruciating hill.
    2. If I’m just having a bad run, I count from 1 then 2, 3, 4, is the number of steps I take. 2 then 2, 3,4 the steps I take, 3 then 2, 3, 4 trying to keep up with this takes my mind of muscle pain until adrenaline kicks in. Then it's an easy run after that.

posted over 8 years ago | edited over 8 years ago

• in reply to what Sean A. said:I use the Band of Brothers one: 3 miles up, 3 miles down. Not that I'm running on hills or running 6 miles, it's just stimulating remembering the training in the movie

CURAHEE!

posted over 8 years ago

• Perhaps this is not a mantra, but rather a way of thinking about long races. For my first marathon, I borrowed (stole) Dean Karnazes idea of running the first part with your mind, the next part with your legs, and the final part with your heart. So for the marathon, I broke it up into miles 1 - 10 (run with my mind, which meant slow down and don't be stupid), miles 11 - 20 (run with my legs -- I told myself, "Ok legs it's your turn now!" and pretended they were fresh) and the final six with my heart. For the 50 miler, I'm doing 20/20/10 of mind/legs/heart.

Also i read on an ultra t-shirt the other day "Pain is inevitable but suffering is optional." I'm gonna try that one too.

posted over 8 years ago

• yup, thats me. "i feel good, i'm not tired!"

posted over 8 years ago

• in reply to what Jamie W. said:When my brain gets really whiny, I make it count in primes: 1 1,2 1,2,3 1,2,3,4,5 1,2,3,4,5,6,7 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11 ... When I do this after running several miles (15 miles or so) I'm really, really bad at it and I go back to just regul... read more

I like to do powers of 2.

2^0 = 1
    2^1 = 2
    2^2 = 4
    2^3 = 8
    2^4 = 16

posted over 8 years ago

• Like Mark F I am Catholic, I like to use the "Jesus" Prayer:

"Lord Jesus have mercy on me a sinner".

Have often found long runs to be very spiritual, especially when out on the trails.

posted over 8 years ago

• Quick Quick, Fast Fast, Go Go. I use this when I need to pick up the pace. I time it with my steps. Also I for running hill I repeat: I love hills, hills love me, running up hill is easy for me. It's corney but it helps.

posted over 8 years ago

• I used to always run with head phones, but recently I've been trying new trails and for safety's sake, I run without music. It's made mantras much more necessary. Usually I focus on breathing and how many strides I take during each inhale and exhale.

When I'm trying to psyche myself up I usually think of my run in terms of "you're half way done" etc.

I also find that when I tell myself that this feels so great, it usually does feel great. :)

posted over 8 years ago

• Here are some songs I chant in my head when I feel like stopping: SO WHAT!!!!!!!! I AM A ROCKSTAR!!!!!!!!!!! By Pink....haha love this! Pumps me up!!!! I sing that, and also, Rocky theme song, .....also Eye of the tiger!!!! lol......and as for "mantras only"........anything self loving/supporting, "come on" " you can do it" "Im the best" .........stuff like that:)

posted over 8 years ago

• Love that !!!! Thats great, I sometimes pray as well, esp running outside. I'm Christian/Catholic. Bible quotes are great too, like my fav, Phil 4:13 "I can do allllllllllll things through CHRIST who strengthens me!!!!!!!!!!!!!" YEAH!

• "I am fast, I am strong, I can do this, it's not long."

posted over 8 years ago

• in reply to what Lauren K. said:Love that !!!! Thats great, I sometimes pray as well, esp running outside. I'm Christian/Catholic. Bible quotes are great too, like my fav, Phil 4:13 "I can do allllllllllll things through CHRIST who strengthens me!!!!!!!!!!!!!" YEAH!

Lauren, I was about a mile from finishing a grueling hill run yesterday, and I was approaching a long uphill section, I started repeating Phil 4:13 over and over and it got me over that hill and to the end! Thanks so much for posting it.

posted over 8 years ago

• I'm a machine. Machines don't feel pain. They just work. I'm a machine.

posted over 8 years ago

• i used to use
    'hare krshna hare krshna, krshna krshna hare hare
    hare rama hare rama, rama rama hare hare'

but now i focus on breathing alone

• Credit to my wife:

Smart Steady Smooth Strong

It got her to Kona so it's gotta work, right?

posted over 8 years ago

• I count to 100 by 2s and sometimes whisper it out loud. If I'm in a world of hurt, I tell myself to be persistent and PATIENT.

posted over 8 years ago

• when I have nothing else on my mind I simply count to 100 for every other footstrike. I often lose count but accuracy is not really the point.

posted over 8 years ago

• > Smart Steady Smooth Strong

I like that one - I've always used -smooth-, but like adding smart, steady & strong. Thx

i think white lies help a lot.
    "no...it doesn't hurt that much!!"
    "knee pain? nah...it's in ur head!"
    "of course you're not that slow"
    "this hill ain't that tough!"

and my favourite during races:
    "you're almost there!!!!"

posted over 8 years ago

• in reply to what Chris said:"I am fast, I am strong, I can do this, it's not long."

nice one Chris. thanks for the rhyme.

posted about 8 years ago

• In the middle of long runs when things start to feel like they're falling apart, I like to repeat to myself "This is how you get better."

posted about 8 years ago

haha, I do that too...but you always feel good at the end!

posted about 8 years ago

• in reply to what Daniel N. said:I like to do powers of 2. 2^0 = 1 2^1 = 2 2^2 = 4 2^3 = 8 2^4 = 16

Good call. I'm going to give it a shot next time I need a distraction!

posted about 8 years ago

• in reply to what Jamie W. said:Good call. I'm going to give it a shot next time I need a distraction!

I love that I'm not the only other weirdo that does math when I run (not to say you two are weirdo, it's all me!). I'm terrible at math so it's really distracting and Daniel and Jamie these are great ideas. I'm usually doing strange random equations.

posted about 8 years ago

• "That's why they call it a RACE!"

posted about 8 years ago

• I don't consciously repeat a mantra...but many times I will catch my self repeating phrases from songs...recently from Daft Punk "Prime-Time of your life, Now! Live it!". Also when I feel myself tensing up I remember my martial arts teacher and repeat "body like water" which usually helps me loosen up...

posted about 8 years ago | edited about 8 years ago

• in reply to what Nursedude said:I don't consciously repeat a mantra...but many times I will catch my self repeating phrases from songs...recently from Daft Punk "Prime-Time of your life, Now! Live it!". Also when I feel myself tensing up I remember my martial art... read more

"body like water", nice, maybe can help me to remember to loosen up face, neck, shoulders. thanks.

posted about 8 years ago

• I use various ones:

- Less whining, more running
    - Run happy fleet feet
    - Keep on keepin' on

I generally use them if I'm trying to stay focused or maintain a difficult pace during speedwork or a race.

posted about 8 years ago

• "I'm a machine. Machines don't feel pain. They just work. I'm a machine."

used this one today while hiking straight up a mountain in the George Washington National Forrest

posted about 8 years ago | edited about 8 years ago

• in reply to what Laurie A. said:I love that I'm not the only other weirdo that does math when I run (not to say you two are weirdo, it's all me!). I'm terrible at math so it's really distracting and Daniel and Jamie these are great ideas. I'm usually doi... read more

I'll proudly wear the "weirdo" badge! :) I'm intrigued; what do you mean by "strange random equations"? Sounds like fun, whatever it is. :)

posted about 8 years ago

• just kept yourself on hard practice and routine

posted about 8 years ago

• LOL! Some of these are priceless. I personally use, "Use Your Hips!" "Breathe ev-en" or just start singing the chorus to "my humps" .. check it out :P

posted about 8 years ago

• (Just getting back into running) When I read this, it all came back to me! I took a marathoning class in college, and we were taught to write a mantra and play a "video" in our mind. I'd say my mantra outloud with my footfall, with stress on the 3rd step of each phrase:
    "I am FO-cused. I am STRONG. I am LOR-i, A powerful MARathoner."
    I'd also talk to myself:
    "I am Lori, and I AM a powerful marathoner. I won't cry. I won't give up. I'll never surrendor to a hill. Rain, hail, sleet, snow...it doesn't matter. I am a marathoner, and I am amazing."
    I know it sounds little arrogant, but it was really helpful.
    Finally, if I was really struggling, I'd count my steps to one hundred. I'd try to guess how many steps it would take me to get to my destination, and the counting would distract me.
    There ya have it. Good topic!

posted about 8 years ago

• in reply to what Roo D. said:(Just getting back into running) When I read this, it all came back to me! I took a marathoning class in college, and we were taught to write a mantra and play a "video" in our mind. I'd say my mantra outloud with my footfall, wit... read more

That is great. Welcome Back and thanks for sharing this.

posted about 8 years ago

• I run faster up hills

posted about 8 years ago

• I think that anything which instills confidence and prevents negative thoughts is a great idea. The mantra I use is: 'Fast and strong. I will go the distance.'

Hope that helps :-)

posted about 8 years ago

• It does help, thanks Clare :)

posted about 8 years ago

• When I ran in high school and college, I used to start every race saying quietly to myself "I don't know why I do this!"

posted about 8 years ago

• I count to 100 over and over to help maintain an even pace.

posted about 8 years ago

• "I can do ALL things through Christ who strengthens me." Phil 4:13

posted about 8 years ago

• I use "Om, Gum Ganepati ye namaha," invokes the idea that God removes obstacles for us. It uses the Sanskrit word "Ganepati" which is another term for Ganesha.

But sometimes I just count my steps 1-4 over and over again. That works helping me to keep cadence.

posted about 8 years ago

• This is great Jim!

I do not use music anymore because it's not usually allowed so i like to run like I would have to on race day. . . but- in the movie Moulon Rouge (sp) there is a song that I used to have on my IPod. . . "...can, can, can.....can, can, can.....can-can, can- can, can-can, can-can, can-can, ....great....really fast!!

Also, I learned how to use my inner metronome. A good, efficient runner has 180 foot strikes per min. So, I count to 8.....1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8, and again.....at the tempo my brain knows I need to stay on pace.

Also...yes, I talk to my Grandma that has passed, Oh....and I think about people I know seeing me slack off or racing amazingly!!

All of this works for me!

posted about 8 years ago

• I have a couple of audio recordings of the Marine Corp recruits during their jogging, and sometimes I'll repeat some of it: "RooooOOlling, RooooOOolling, gooOOota keep on rooOOlling.."

Seems to get my breathing in order.

posted about 8 years ago

• in reply to what Tracy N. said:This is great Jim! I do not use music anymore because it's not usually allowed so i like to run like I would have to on race day. . . but- in the movie Moulon Rouge (sp) there is a song that I used to have on my IPod. . . "...can, ca... read more

Thanks Tracy. I remember that song. I always try to come up with 90 right steps per minute but always come up with 88, can never seem to get those extra couple foot strikes in there. Maybe the 8 count will help now, thanks.

posted about 8 years ago

• in reply to what Daniel G. said:I have a couple of audio recordings of the Marine Corp recruits during their jogging, and sometimes I'll repeat some of it: "RooooOOlling, RooooOOolling, gooOOota keep on rooOOlling.." Seems to get my breathing in order.

Thanks Daniel. Definitely a good way to keep it Rolling.

posted about 8 years ago

• I saw a Nike ad in Runner's World a few months ago. It said something like "My lungs are whiney babies that need to learn how to deal". This really stuck with me and I always say it to myself when I'm struggling with the last part of a run.

posted about 8 years ago

• On a normal training run, if I find that I am getting tired or wimpy I tell myself if I make it to "that fence ahead or stop sign" whatever the mark is that I can visually see ahead of me, then if I really want to stop and walk for a bit, I can....what ends up happening is I get to that mark and keep going until I get tired again then I make another bet with myself of the like.........

If I am running a race and feeling wimpy and tired, then I tell myself "what? you trained for this and you want to give up? the pain is temporary the reward is lasting"........OR "look at that person ahead of you, there older then you and YOU want to give up?"

posted about 8 years ago

• in reply to what Stephanie Y. said:Lauren, I was about a mile from finishing a grueling hill run yesterday, and I was approaching a long uphill section, I started repeating Phil 4:13 over and over and it got me over that hill and to the end! Thanks so much for posting it.

Wow what an awesome idea! That's kinda why I run... to deal with my God and my faith... :)

posted about 8 years ago

• I keep repeating, "This is easy!" over and over until I brainwash my brain and body into actually believing/feeling it. It works about 90% of the time.

posted almost 8 years ago

• I have one that I first heard the night before a 1/2 marathon. The coach was trying to impress upon us that we had done the training, we had put the miles in, and therefore we were ready. He kept saying "the miles are in the bank, the miles are in the bank" So,I've repeated that to myself on numerous occasions when I wasn't sure I could keep going. It's worked...till today!! I was trying to keep up with my friend, who's one of those elite runners, and I was struggling. I kept saying in my head "the miles are in the bank" Suddenly, I had this vision of an ATM screen pop into my mind with the words "insufficient funds, transaction cannot be completed"! :-) I had to walk for a minute because I started laughing!

• in reply to what Jamie W. said:Good call. I'm going to give it a shot next time I need a distraction!

Triangular numbers are some my favorites, though I count primes too:
    1+2 =3
    1+2+3 = 6
    1+2+3+4=10
    1+2+3+4+5=15

I also like to count in binary.

• in reply to what Leigh Ann C. said:I have one that I first heard the night before a 1/2 marathon. The coach was trying to impress upon us that we had done the training, we had put the miles in, and therefore we were ready. He kept saying "the miles are in the bank, the miles a... read more

too funny!! "insufficient funds" I laughed out loud

• That's a good one. Sometimes after a hard workout we say "Put that one in the bank".

• I am definitely one of the mathy people who do (or attempt to do) math during their runs. It's usually whatever comes to me - problems I did two semesters ago in Multivar Calculus seem to come to mind often, but I also like converting numbers between bases.

Of course, by mile 12 my answers kind of stop making sense.

• I don't really have a running mantra b/c I listen to music when I run. But when my mind wanders, I think to myself "you're a runner, not a walker" and just keep repeating it. Then I would think of my father "this mile's for you", he was diagnosed with prostate cancer over a year ago ( I haven't seen him since I was 8 yrs. old) So it helps to run for something other than weight loss and being fit. =)

posted almost 8 years ago | edited almost 8 years ago

• Add me to the ranks of the math geeks. I'll make up quadratic in my head from the numbers on the mailboxes. Other times I see how fast I can count backwards from 1000 by odd numbers (17, 53, etc.)

As far as an actual mantra -

I run a lot of hills. When I'm feeling like crap, I lie to myself and repeat either:
    "I love this hill"
    or
    "I own you hill"

until I crest it.

• Every Step is a Step in the Right Direction

• I have one long explanation and one short one...

Years ago there was a show on Discovery Channel called "EcoChallenge". It was an extreme one week outdoor race between teams that involved running through rough terrain,mountain climbing, hiking, etc. These teams would push through any type of weather, fatigue, daytime or night time, just to finish and win the "EcoChallenge". I watched this show year after year and thought to myself, if they can do this for 5 to 6 days straight through thick or thin, then I can certainly run 3,4, 5 miles, or whatever. So when I'm struggling, I say in my head with each step, "EcoChallenge, EcoChallenge, EcoChallenge".

Also, I'm like "The Little Engine That Could" who says with each step, "You can do it, You can do it, You can do it"...or sometimes, "Baby steps. Baby steps, Baby steps" when I'm going up a big hill.

Weird, I know!

• Thank you for posting your motivations and mantras.

• If I am having a tough run whether it's my mood, the weather, the course or whatever, I often use the mantra "Relax Power Glide". It helps me get into a rhythm.

• "Light as a feather."

I say that whether I am running for distance or time. I stole it from good ol' Doc Gut from when I was in the military. Regardless of where it comes from it really works for me.

posted almost 7 years ago

• I will always use a mantra of some sort. They keep me focused in the moment.
    I say mine 1 step per word.

I AM STRONG, I RUN MY RACE!

Another I use on LONG runs....
    HEAD HELD HIGH, I RUN ON AIR!

Mantra's are a personal thing, but they tell a story of the person who repeats them.

• I generally listen to music, but I only really listen to rap/hip hop or electronica/house which for obvious reasons has a similar affect as a mantra.

I haven't seen this one posted, but sometimes I'll go to "just keep swimming" from finding nemo.

Also, plus one on Daft Punk, HARDER BETTER FASTER STRONGER. I first used this while writing my thesis. The actual words are perfect for long runs:

work it HARDER make it BETTER do it FASTER makes us STRONGER more than ever hour after our work is never over.

• I'm so relieved that I'm not the only weird-o out there....

when i'm running and having a tough go of it... i count backwards from any large number by 3s....

also, i sometimes tell myself over and over, "jkm , just keep moving"

posted over 6 years ago

• I don't know if this counts as a mantra, but on tough outside runs I tell myself: "Self, there's only one way to get home. You can stand here and complain but running will get you there faster."

posted over 6 years ago

• When it is cold and wet, my mantra is faster home, faster dryer, faster warm. Reminds me to keep moving as quickly as possible!

I also count up to the first half of the run - those first 5 felt great, I feel great! And count down the3 last half - I can do 4 miles any time of the day.

posted over 6 years ago

• "The trial of miles, miles of trials" (quote from Once a Runner)

posted over 6 years ago

• Kat
    Kat Sendmail

Really Late posting to this, but I'd like to chime in.
    Most of the time I listen to music, so my mind is distracted from my running, but when breathing gets labored I go into a mantra. Mine is "In - 2- 3- Out - 2 - 3" it helps to bring my breathing back under control. I've been doing that since 7th grade track...before I even knew what a mantra was.

posted about 6 years ago

• Since I'm a newbie really, lately mine has been "don't stop, don't stop, whatever you don't stop". Definitely need a new one. [smile]

posted about 6 years ago

• "Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can do what others can't"

Jerry Rice

posted about 6 years ago

• "No gain without pain"

I like to time "gain" and "pain" to coincide with my foot hitting the ground.

Does anyone else use the broken white lines at the side of the road? I count how many strides it takes me to cover each and the gaps in between. I also count them.

posted about 6 years ago

• I usually use: "Keep going. Finish strong."

If I'm struggling: "Slow and steady is the pace. Slow and steady finishes the race"

Seen on a shirt at a recent race and I like this: "Strength is the product of struggle"

Happy running,
    -Melissa

posted about 6 years ago