Answers/

General Running

Calf muscle pain..

asked almost 4 years ago | Report

My calf muscle has pain during and after a run. The pain is in the back of the calf and up high. It feels weak during the run and really is slowing me down. After the run it is hard to walk on it for a few hours. I have been wrapping it and I stopped running for 6 days and it seemed to get better but as soon as I run it starts hurting again. If you have had this injury please let me know what what you did to get running again. I think I hurt it jumping over a water hole on a run several weeks ago.

7 answers

scroll to bottom
  • I had a similar issue last year after a calf raises P90X exercise. I felt a little pop during the workout but otherwise was okay. A few days later and a couple miles into a run it felt like a strand of muscle in the calf locked up and I had to stop running. I continued working out but did not run for a couple weeks. Two weeks was not enough as it happened again on the next run.

I waited another three weeks after that until I ran again and was fine. I would hazard a guess that you need to rest at least 3 to 4 weeks from running, but test it lightly and rest longer if needed.

answered almost 4 years ago |Report

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • Hard to say without more info. Did you feel something happen when jumping the water?
    Several things to try. Lots of gentle stretching, massage (foam rollers work great), heat before, ice after. Make sure your shoes aren't too old (less than 250mi), have good arch support for your foot type, tied snuggly (if you can pull off without untieing too loose). Can also try a bit of a heel lift (walking and running) an over the counter heel cup/pad (such as spenco gel heel pad) will also help. Could take several weeks depending upon severity, but my suggestions may make running possible now or at least sooner.
    Good luck

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • What kind of shoes do you have?

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I just recovered from a grade 2 calf strain. While your symptoms don't sound exactly like it they are similar enough that you should follow the same recovery advice. It takes a long time to heal and the muscle gets very weak during this time. If you return to running too soon then you will re-injure the muscle. You have to give it time, and then you have to do gentle stretching and some strengthening exercises before you can attempt a slow return to running. Yours sounds mild but if you push it then it will get more severe very easily. These calf muscles are fickle things. One thing my doctor and PT told me was that I will feel good enough to run in about 2 weeks but DON"T DO IT! They were so right. I managed to re-injure the muscle 2 times during the recovery by jumping the gun. Of course my injury was more severe than yours. With mine I felt like I had been stabbed in the back of my calf and couldn't walk on it at all due to pain. So trust me, you don't want to allow your mild injury to turn into a more sever injury like mine and be out for 5 months. Give yourself 3-4 weeks to rest and then start back slowly, very, very slowly. Better yet, visit your PT.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • Lots of good advice here! I went through similar issues and also tried to rush back to early. Resolution came only after lots of deep massage and time. I have successfully avoided reoccurence by wearing better shoes, running more on trails than pavement and stretching my calves when I wake up, before running, and after running, Good Luck. Chris Kelley - Framingham

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • calf sleeves helped me. the brand I use are mcdavid. other brands might also be good, but i didn't have to try any others.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I had some similar calf pain a few months ago and it turned out to be referral pain from trigger points. A good massage therapist may be able to let you know if this is the problem.

thumbs up
      thumbs down

Similar Questions in Running - General Running