Answers/

General Running

Eat breakfast before an early morning run Yes or no?

asked almost 4 years ago | Report

I go running at different times each day, but when i get up for an early morning run i feel rubbish and knackered but if i eat first i get a massive stitch, but i dont have the time to wait to let it digest.What does everyone else do?

14 answers

scroll to bottom
  • I do most of my running in the morning. I drink down a can of Slim Fast and eat a banana or a slim fast meal bar. I do it as soon as I get up so it gives it about 30 to 60 minutes to start digesting before I start my run. If you do not have that much time between when you get up and run then go with just the drink.
    Point being put something on the stomach but not anything heavy. Now what your stomach can handle you need to figure out. The slim fast for me gives me some vitamins and what not I could use on the run. It curbs the appetite and yet is not heavy to cause issues.

answered almost 4 years ago |Report

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • Are you a regular breakfast eater?

My body demands the same routine everyday - run days or not. I eat oatmeal and run immediately after - but that's me - I think my body is used to being on the go. I tried skipping breakfast to get out the door faster last week - ack! mistake. Growling stomach and weak all the way!

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I just get up, drink some water, & go run. works for me.

g

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I absolutely must eat or I will have zero power. I get shaky. Some mild protein 30 mins before a run does the trick for me.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • If I'm running in the morning, I'll generally go without any food (depending on length of run). If it's over an hour, I'll grab a banana and be sure to have fuel on the run with me. Then I get home and have a yummy, substantial breakfast.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • Mark - I'm up at 4 am to run and as I'm the chief, it isn't going to happen ... food that is and I can't stomach it anyways!!! I grab my water and go ... Now ... if I don't have the water, I'm screwed!!!

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I find eating a meal that's fairly fatty before running is never a good plan (not necessarily a bad one... just definitely not a good one). However, a small carb/protein rich very low fat shack 20 to 30 minutes before any run works pretty well. Since I run mostly in the evenings... when I get home and if I'm really hungry I'll eat a small snack then get into my running gear... then head out the door.

If I run in the morning (a rare event) I follow my usual breakfast routine... Coffee, cereal, milk, an assortment of supplements... this is tolerated by my body pretty well for a morning run.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I rarely eat breakfast before a run. Just don't have the time. However, after my morning run and a shower, I have a tall glass of Ovaltine! Perfect after a morning workout.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • Thanks to DM users, I now drink a glass of orange juice and eat a banana before my run. It's enough carbs & natural sugars to keep me going, but I never feel full or nauseous. It's worked out great for me so far.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • If I'm running 4 miles or less I just have a small glass of orange juice. Any runs longer than that I have to eat so I plan on getting up a little earlier to allow a little digestive time. I don't eat very much, small bowl of oatmeal or cereal, but I have to have a little something.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • 5 miles or less, just water. More than 5, something like Peanut butter on a whole wheat english muffin or maybe a banana. No dairy or coffee before I run, just doesnt sit well at all.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I eat before long runs, and just get up a lot earlier for those days. All other runs, I don't eat anything. I just bring water with me.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I NEVER eat before I run, no matter how long it is going to be (never more than 13 miles). I have some coffee and then within twenty to thirty minutes, I start my run. Right after, I drink water and eat a bowl of oatmeal and a spoonful of peanut butter. I tried to run with food a couple times and paid the price. My body has enough reserve to get through the run. I would rather suffer in performance than have a belly ache. If I were running marathons or getting paid to run, I might rethink ;-)

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I always, always run on a empty stomach. Now the most I have ran is 4.5 miles. My stomach just can't handle food before a run.

thumbs up
      thumbs down

Similar Questions in Running - General Running