Answers/

General Running

Plantar Fasciitis immediate treatments and how long should i rest?

asked about 4 years ago | Report

I am in the midst of my Honolulu Marathon training and tonight, I had a sharp pain on the underside of my right foot. I was running downhill when the injury was provoked. Alleviates when I stop running. Located under the medial cuneiform. Reoccurred Nov 2008 when training for the LA Marathon. Severity 8/10. Approximately 20 minutes ago.
I had my D.O. classmate do some counterstrain and the pain alleviated to a 1/10.
previous hx: monday night, i was running on my toes more than usual causing additional strain.

I'm assuming it is plantar fasciitis.

Do you have any other suggestions of treatments that I should do? or how long that I should rest my foot? Also, if, I restrict my motion, would cycling be fine?

I only have 40 days until the marathon and approximately 31 days training.

7 answers

scroll to bottom
  • Ice it, rub your arch by rolling back and forth a can of soup or veggies on the floor, and get inserts with good arch support (We have a store called Ideal Feet here in Tulsa.) They are pricey but work great.

answered about 4 years ago |Report

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • Ez
    Ez Sendmail

First of all get a professional diagnosis before you spend more time, money and effort.
    I am dealing with plantar fasciitis for more than a year now. My symptoms feel a little different. I understood that treatment efficiency is very individual. If something works for one it will not necessarily work for the other. There are many treatment techniques that you can try.
    Did you try Taping? I have found it very useful. Taping will keep your foot from getting injured again and will help you get through your daily routine and exercises. There are a few Taping techniques you can use. I have found a very informative website with taping review and more good ideas in:
    http://plantar-fasciitis-elrofeet.com/plantar_fasciitis_taping.html
    Cycling and swimming are OK.
    Take care & Good luck

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • Most helpful for me was wrapping arch with an ACE bandage and never walking without a support shoe (no flip flops or slippers), even around the house.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I second the taping with regards to your upcoming race. I did it for 2 1/2 months because of the same situation, and I could train and race without making it worse. Beware though that your foot will atrophy due to the taping and lack of muscle engagement. After I finished my race, I stopped taping completely. My feet were really weak and it took over a month of slow, careful training to get them back up to strength.

Treatments that helped me get rid of mine included massaging the damaged tissue to break up scar tissue, stretching the foot, rolling the foot on a can/golf ball, and stretching the calf to give the plantar fascia more slack.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I had this problem years ago. Mike is right about providing constant support. And you'll want a running shoe with extra arch support (Asics maybe). I found another way to promote what Jim and Nick mention. Take a 20 oz plastic bottle and fill it with water. Place it in the freezer and when needed, drop the frozen bottle on the floor and roll it under your heel and arch for massage and cooling. Good Luck with your training. Chris Kelley - Framingham.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I actually just got over this and after an ER visit and visit to the orthopedic, the BEST advice I was given was the cheapest and worked..... I was told to freeze a bottle of water and then roll my foot over it several times a day. I did and believe it or not, it worked and worked fast. I did rest it also and made sure that I stretch it when i get up each morning.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • Pam
    Pam Sendmail

ditto to the answers;
    taping, I was told not to take it off even in the shower. I purchased a rubber seal to wear while in the shower.
    massage, I used a small paper cup (dixie) frozen with water inside and rolled my foot over this.
    NEVER walk without shoes. As soon as you swing your legs over the edge of the bed, have shoes ready to wear.
    REST, swim or cycle only

I hope you find some relief.

thumbs up
      thumbs down

Similar Questions in Running - General Running